1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What sort of PM will Boris be?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by rIcK, Jun 22, 2019.

1. StriderX

Capodecina

There isn't, but to be fair there are more neutral ways to express it, and frankly more powerful ones.

"man up" actually seems a rather poor choice when you could call to people's desire for a powerful leader, or calling Boris a coward.

2. Jokester

Don

He did though, he called him a coward and that he needed to man up.

There's nothing wrong with using a male orientated term to describe a male.

3. Stretch

Capodecina

I don’t see any workable coalition resulting from a GE, certainly not one that delivers brexit.

It will need SNP and/or Lib Dem involvement, and they will both demand a second ref.

4. StriderX

Capodecina

Yet there is clearly a problem with male orientated culture regarding mental health around masculinity, ignoring all the crap about gender, there is definitely an issue of confusion. For a long period of time masculinity was actually just utterly violent, and no one should be putting that forward as a goal.

5. terley

Mobster

Agreed

However i think Nigel and Boris COULD form a majority if they managed to get on the same page, right now the division stems from Nigel not trusting him.

6. StriderX

Capodecina

Why would you trust Nigel either, he's lied every day for the last 20 years.

7. terley

Mobster

Bore off, male mental health issues are not a result of men being told to "man up", it is because men aren't allowed to be men anymore.. Boys are dosed with Ritalin for being boys, men are facing a society and a system that completley degrades their innane evolutionary purpose to be a bread winner and a protector in a family unit.

8. terley

Mobster

What on earth are you on about? I said Nigel doesn't trust Boris..

Its got nothing to do with me.

9. StriderX

Capodecina

There is no evolutionary purpose for earning keep, that's purely social engineering that needs disregarding. A protector i can understand, if only there was something to actually protect from.

10. terley

Mobster

Are you an evolutionary biologist or a primate behaviorist?

Because i assure you, there is.. and it is not social engineering..

Women work less than men and are less willing to work long hours, that is a fact that doesn't care about your feelings.

Women naturally gravitate towards care roles despite social engineering to try and balance the professions, men on average have an innate desire to be a bread winner and protector.

The Nuclear family works, and a child who is brought up in one is more likely to be sucessful and happy.

11. Jokester

Don

The suggestion that an actual expectation of men to behave as fully functioning adults in society is somehow detrimental is ridiculous.

12. StriderX

Capodecina

You say "fully functioning adults" and not fully function men, though.

They may naturally do things as part of the psychology of being a man or a woman, that shouldn't mean you don't try and give them the chance to more than that, otherwise we are just pitiful animals with a set direction in life, which is disagreeable.

Frankly i feel you're mixing up centuries of social parameters as ineffable facts, people should be allowed to do as they please, disregarding who they are.

13. Jokester

Don

Well they certainly wouldn't be fully functioning women would they?

14. StriderX

Capodecina

Either way clearly we aren't going to return to the days when women were simply expected to be at home, we aren't going to agree on any point and this isn't masculinity thread.

15. Jokester

Don

Bloody hell that's some leap of logic.

16. terley

Mobster

I agree its not, but you will find that MANY women and i know dozens of women i have spoken to about this.. are fed the **** up of people making stay at home mothers and homemakers such a tabboo choice for their life.. Female happiness is plummeting, many women do just great in careers.. as you'd expect them to, yet studies show that many of them when reaching their 30s face an internal crisis..

There is nothing empowering or great about working, it is a means to an end. Hopefully work will be automated in future and the only work we do is whilst enjoying the company of others.

17. FishFluff

Soldato

lol

18. VincentHanna

Capodecina

I get the feeling Terley is single...

19. Cern

Mobster

People have been saying this since the 1970s, when the rise of computers was predicted to free up everyone to work less and have more leisure time. Hasn't exactly worked out like that though has it? People work longer hours than ever before, workers rights are being eroded once more, anyone not 'economically active' in society is still demonised and home makers are indeed sneered at. Automation will change nothing. And for certain, neither will Boris.

20. StriderX

Capodecina

Hasn't worked out the way you think, but the jobs are still pointless. How many people actually like being pen pushers?

It's just slow business pace that is saving these jobs honestly.