What sort of tradesman do I need?!? (small woodwork)

Soldato
So, a number of years back I was an enthusiastic but very amateur arcade stick builder.

I knocked up a couple of sticks, that I was really happy with, and functionally were great.

However, due to me having literally zero woodworking ability they weren't structurally sound, and eventually fell apart.

The elctronic components still work perfectly, and I'd love to use them again and not have then tucked away under the bed.

There's no point in me trying to repair them myself as I no longer have the tools, and I'm not going to be magically more capable than I was before, so I need someone who really knows what they're doing.

This is where it gets tricky. Who might take on a job like this??

There used to be a number of stick builders all over the world, but there doesn't seem to be much of a scene for it anymore.

Do I want some sort of cabinet maker maybe?

It's small work, but I'm more than happy to pay whatever it costs to get it done, just no idea who to approach??

Pics just for reference...

Nelson in its former glory...

bb9bqzl.jpg

q8R4j7g.jpg

DXkjkSr.jpg

Yj7vTYt.jpg

Sad broken sticks in need of love...

Nqmv2tc.jpg

ups2CBh.jpg

JcDRO2o.jpg

nKuA6s2.jpg

I've no idea if they can actually be put back together as they were, or if they'll need new boxes built around the control panels (which is fine by me!!). I'd just like to have them put together so that they're sturdy, and probably sanded and painted propery...

Is it even realsitic to think someone might take this on??

Ta

Soldato
I've literally just agreed to help a friend make one this weekend. Handy hobbyists and maker types, are the people who probably make these. But that's out of passion rather than being their trade.

What kind of professional you'd recruit is less obvious. That said, maybe I can help/help advise :)

Soldato
It looks like you'd given it a little thought in the past about how you want it to come apart .

I'm sure you'd get away with sanding off the paint where you need to glue it back together. Wood glue is stronger than wood itself in some cases so then you'd just want to have a back panel that screws on.

I think your only mistake has been painting before putting it together and not removing the paint at your joins. Oh, and prep any end grain before glueing by saturating the mdf/wood with glue first.

Soldato
OP
I've literally just agreed to help a friend make one this weekend. Handy hobbyists and maker types, are the people who probably make these. But that's out of passion rather than being their trade.

What kind of professional you'd recruit is less obvious. That said, maybe I can help/help advise :)

I’ve sent an email to a local(ish) cabinet maker. Not hopeful for a response. If this is something you might be willing to assist with, I really might take you up on it!

Cheers!

Soldato
Looks like the black one just needs a bit of paint and a couple of supports added and the stella one could be put together with a few screws and some glue.

I guess it comes down to how much you are prepared to pay and if a tradesman deems it being worthwhile.

Soldato
Agree with above, I think this mostly just wants a clean up and solid reassemble! Both units don't look too flimsy. Probably just a few extra screws or battens and make sure gluing surfaces mate nicely.

Then fresh paint will make them look new again!

Soldato
OP
Looks like I might have a taker in a local bespoke cabinet maker...

mom going to take them down today, see what he says.

With the Stella stick, I’d like to keep it as close to as is as possible.

With Game Over, I might just give up on my terrible first effort box and see if he can knock up a really nice box for it instead...

I’ll keep you posted!

Associate
I'm confused as to how you knocked these up, but now cannot fix them to the same standard. Not having the tools is fine, but depending where you are it's possible there may be a hackspace nearby where you can go do some work, maybe even meet someone who is a carpenter who wants someone to do the electronic bits of an arcade stick!

Soldato
OP
When I did it, it was just as a hobby/project. I spent an absolute fortune on power tools, hand tools, even drove from London to Manchester to pick up a massive pillar drill.

I no longer have any tools, nor room to store/use any.

I haven’t done any wood work at all for about 7 or 8 years, and my finest efforts back then have fallen apart.

I’d rather just get someone who really knows what they’re doing just get a grip of my rubbish efforts and put them together properly and robustly so I can use them again...

Neither look to me like they need more than some woodglue, sandpaper and clamps as far as tools go

Stella
Sand the joining edges lightly, glue the edges and clamp them up tight whilst they dry. Then screw the corner supports tight to hold in place, do them whilst the clamps are on if glue drying but after would be fine.

Game over
Looks like it needs some simple blocks or a piece of wood inside for the top to rest on. Add blocks, clamp up with glue. The cracks would probably nigh on vanish, but can fill them will a little PVA and repaint.

Soldato
I think you are being too harsh on yourself here, you could sort both out with a drill, some screwdrivers, screws and some wood glue I reckon. Fair play if you dont want to/have time but always satisying to fix things like.

Soldato
OP
I’d love to be in a position to sort them, but bearing in mind this was my best effort after months of attempts, and that I have t touched woodwork for about seven years, I’d rather just have someone who knows what they’re doing do it properly so that they’re robust and I can use them again.

The Stella stick I’d really like to have as ‘original’ as possible. The Game Over was pretty poorly done, and I’m actually thinking about asking the bloke to build a new box around the control panel...
Something just real wood, sturdy, and hand finished would be awesome.

When I was into doing it, I was always blown away by sticks built by a bloke called ‘Byrdo’. All of his stuff was real wood, hand finished, not sprayed, and amazing quality...

Back
Top Bottom