What speakers to buy?

Associate
Hi all, currently I have a set up made of q acoustic 2020's at the front, 2010's at the back and a q acoustics 2000c for the centre. I am currently looking to upgrade and was looking at the following setup's :

DALI ZENSOR 5 SPEAKERS
DALI ZENSOR 1 SPEAKERS
DALI ZENSOR VOKAL CENTRE SPEAKER

or

WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 10.6 SPEAKERS
WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 10.CM CENTRE SPEAKER
WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 10.DFS REAR SPEAKERS

or

MONITOR AUDIO BRONZE BX5 SPEAKERS
MONITOR AUDIO BRONZE BXFX DUAL MODE SURROUND SPEAKERS
MONITOR AUDIO BRONZE BX CENTRE SPEAKER

Which of these setups would be the best, and would they be a big improvement over what I have already? Thanks for your help.

Associate
OP
I have a Sony 2400es av receiver, I also have a bk xls 200 sub. I'm looking for some speakers that will allow for a better sound quality and offer a decent improvement in terms of sound.

Associate
OP
My budget is a max of £900, I wouldn't mind going second hand and that could be a possibility. Also do you think the amp is good enough to run such speakers? it was originally over £400. The only thing it lacks is 3d support.

Soldato
Your amp will run those speakers but maybe not to their full potential. If your amp has pre-outs you could buy a second hand power amp for the front 2 speakers. I picked up my Arcam Alpha 8P for £80 and it made a big difference even over the £1000 AV amp.

I did like the sound of the Dali speakers I heard but I haven't listened to the Zensors.

Really you need to demo them if possible, no one can tell you which speakers you will prefer the sound of.

Edit - your amp spec says "7.1 pre output (via 8 x RCA/phono)" Your luck is in :)

Soldato
My budget is a max of £900, I wouldn't mind going second hand and that could be a possibility. Also do you think the amp is good enough to run such speakers? it was originally over £400. The only thing it lacks is 3d support.

The amp will run them pretty well but not to there full potential.
I went second hand and got a full kef iq 5 speaker set rrp £1000 for £400 boxed in mint condition only 4 months old.
For your budget you could get your speakers + an amp second hand.

Associate
OP
The amp will run them pretty well but not to there full potential.
I went second hand and got a full kef iq 5 speaker set rrp £1000 for £400 boxed in mint condition only 4 months old.
For your budget you could get your speakers + an amp second hand.

Wow that's a bargain, where did you get them that cheap?

hux

hux

Soldato
I would choose the monitors as well, they produce such a nice sound.

But the wharfedale diamonds are very good as well.

Associate
OP
Hi just to update the thread, I just purchased some quad speakers. Got them from this classified thread . Probably £900 worth of speakers when they first come out, got them for £310. Any recommendations what sort of amp I would need to power these?

Soldato
Well I have an Arcam Alpha 8P. A power amp basically has no other functions other than an amplifier, you would connect from your Left & Right pre-outs of your AV amp to the inputs on the power amp, the volume is still set via your AV amp.

Basically any decent make like Arcam or Rotel, something like that. You will probably want about 100 watts per channel. Theres not much else to them. keep an eye on auction sites, gum tree or AV forums.

Associate
My expereince with sony amps is that they are bit flat sounding - laid back in the treble therefore montior audio which to my ears have a forward treble would work well.

My uncle has Wharfedales (what hifi 5 star ones)and they are flat as a pancake so may not match well with a sony amp if its the characterisitcs are similar to other ones. Probably reviewed with Cyrus gear thats What HIFI Love which is very clinical - tamed by flatter speakers

I would buy MA's they are good, you get a lot of sound for your money!!

I wouldnt go the power amp via preout route - it may improve music a little but the sonic characteristics of the sound of your front main L & R will be very different to your centre and rears and thats the last thing you want!!
You want them to sonically match up as best you can for the best soundstage, effect steering and general sound thats what auto setups try and do!!

Save the money and buy a better AV amp when you can - the Pioneer range is the best if you ask me and most reviewers and you will soon pick up a used LX82 cheap now the LX85 is out soon and the people who skipped the 83 invest - thats a £2k amp a few years ago.
if you can afford an LX83 then you are talking - its an incredible amp, could be considered overkill but I dont think thats possible with av amps.
The LX53 is more of a match with the MA BX range and is supposed to be very good as well although I dont think it uses Ice Power, if you care about that, MA is known for going well with Pioneer receivers

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom