What speakers to get.

Associate
My Cambridge Audio minx 2.1 active speakers have died on me and they are NLA, really gutted as they sounded great for the money and had a built in DAC that could be used for headphones.
Anyone got any idea of something similar that I could get?
The money starts to get silly spec'ing an amp with DAC, bookshelf speakers, sub etc. I have a pretty good set up in the living room with Cambridge audio separates and Q acoustics floor standers so I appreciate decent audio quality.
Josh.

Associate
OP
£200ish, would prefer active in my office as I've got a decent set up in the living room already. 2.1 for some extra lows would be an advantage too.
Josh.

Soldato
Not a lot of choice of decent 2.1 speakers. There's Acoustic Energy Aego 3, but they're likely repackaged Aego M with added Bluetooth and for £200, a tad expensive in my opinion.

There's Edifier C2XD, which seem good value for £100. I've seen two people give good comments about them after buying them to replace broken Corsair SP2500. There's also Edifier S530D for £230.

Other than those, not a great deal of others to consider that aren't Creative or Logitech.

Associate
OP
Not a lot of choice of decent 2.1 speakers. There's Acoustic Energy Aego 3, but they're likely repackaged Aego M with added Bluetooth and for £200, a tad expensive in my opinion.

There's Edifier C2XD, which seem good value for £100. I've seen two people give good comments about them after buying them to replace broken Corsair SP2500. There's also Edifier S530D for £230.

Other than those, not a great deal of others to consider that aren't Creative or Logitech.
That's the biggest problem the cambridge audio's were truly brilliant, they were comparable to my main sound system that cost 10x as much.
Think I may just go for the creative kratos S5 in all honesty, reviews seem good and they look ok.
Josh.

Soldato
I got some JBL LSR305 'studio monitors' a few months ago. Very accurate. I use them for general music listening.
2 x 40w class d amps in each speaker. 5 inch drivers.
They're compared to speakers costing much more quite often

Associate
I was very happy with my Microlab solo 9c speakers and they were only £150. But it seems thet dont sell them anymore, and I dont know why as they were amazing quality/price.

Soldato
Pity OcUK don't sell Microlab's stereo speakers anymore. The Solo range always seemed popular from what I could see with quite a few recommendations; and with larger 6.5" woofers, were a good choice for those who wanted more bass than you get with Edifier's 4" speakers, without having to have 2.1. Nothing else fills that gap, without spending a lot more on passive speakers + amp.

Back
Top Bottom