What the actual hell is going on...

Permabanned
Apple has no issue when it comes to having millions of products ready on launch day.

Nvidia, AMD and the retailer just take the proverbial out of customers.

Soldato
all of the CPU and GPU shortages are almost entirely a result of silicon shortages. they virtually all fight for capacity from the same fabs and who are those fabs biggest customers? mobile..... This is why mobile parts are hitting the smallest nodes before any other industry. Everybody else has to fall in line.

OcUK Staff
Sales are up about 2-3x normal rates especially on GFX cards and cpus, everyone is stuck at home with nothing to do, so what do they do? They play computer games, they get bored of their current games, they want to buy new games, their old gfx card does not support the new games, they upgrade, its really not hard to see why the stock is disappearing when there is suddenly over double the normal demand.
Manufacturers cannot just instantly double production, nor is it wise to do so if you have no idea how long this increase will last as that requires investment, after all, once life returns to normal I would expect to see a low in sales as everyone will have already done their upgrade, thus all their investment would go down the drain.

OcUK Staff
Launching a product worldwide when you don't have it is all AMD's fault, the same for Nvidia.
You are saying that they wait until they have stock piled enough to satisfy the whole market? So that no one can get the cards until later? The only difference this would make is that everybody would be waiting longer.

Permabanned
OP
You are saying that they wait until they have stock piled enough to satisfy the whole market? So that no one can get the cards until later? The only difference this would make is that everybody would be waiting longer.

No the difference would be the right price for everyone and no bell ends selling cards on ebay for double

Caporegime
they didn't say for what reason.
i think the point they was making is ever shop just says waiting for stock. so there renting a GPU till the shops get stock.

And yes that's a poo thing to do. but if there messing about scalpers i have no problem with that.

Scalpers aka people who try and sell something with extremely high demand to people who were too dumb to pre order or plan ahead so decided to pay extra instead.

I've got a 2080 TI to sell but I'm not sure I can trust any couriers right now

Unless they accept your "cash on collection" offer you're laying yourself open to chargebacks and fraud if payment is via PayPal and you can't refuse it if they do unless thats changed recently

I always message them saying I'll give a discount for cash on collection as soon as it's over.

Alternatively I say if you pay by PayPal you can come inspect the item and once you are happy leave positive feedback and then you can take it away.

I have a nest doorbell camera so I can record them coming and collecting it in person. As well as other higher up cameras. So I have what they look like and their car registration details to hand. One quick call to the police and they will be in handcuffs or I can provide said evidence to PayPal for them to respond to.

Never had an issue bare in mind I've probably sold £20k worth of stuff this year alone. Only issue I've had is with time wasters. People who win and then read the advert and say I thought you were selling X instead of y even though the pictures are of y and description says it's y. Or the other one is I accidentally bidded too much or i won another auction so don't need this one any more.

I know all the scams so I've never been caught yet. You can tell one a mile off. Cash or Bank transfer if being collected.

If they do pay by PayPal which is rare I've had one do it and it was an older woman. Folk that use eBay tend to know how collection auctions work now.

Soldato
Scalpers aka people who try and sell something with extremely high demand to people who were too dumb to pre order or plan ahead so decided to pay extra instead.

Scalpers, aka people who set up legions of bots to buy as much stock of a presumed 'in demand' item as possible, before anyone attempting to purchase via normal means is likely to be able to even secure access to the retailers website.

It didn't make a blind bit of difference how much you 'planned ahead' or wanted to 'pre-order' when stuff like 3080 stock went live and scalpers pretty much DDOSd every parts retailer going for half the day.

OcUK Staff
No the difference would be the right price for everyone and no bell ends selling cards on eBay for double
Again makes no sense, you pay what you are willing to pay, if you don't want to pay for the first set of cards then wait until there is more stock ---- still putting you at getting a card at the same time you would with the "stock piling" method. The prices haven't been put up because of a lack of stock, they have been put up because that's the non-subsidised price. There was only ever going to be a couple at that price regardless of stock piling. It's just a manufacturers pricing technique. Basically they do a promotion saying you can sell X at this price, and we will give you a rebate, to make the cards look better and get more attention.

Caporegime
Scalpers, aka people who set up legions of bots to buy as much stock of a presumed 'in demand' item as possible, before anyone attempting to purchase via normal means is likely to be able to even secure access to the retailers website.

It didn't make a blind bit of difference how much you 'planned ahead' or wanted to 'pre-order' when stuff like 3080 stock went live and scalpers pretty much DDOSd every parts retailer going for half the day.

I don't think people selling a single used 1050ti for £200 is using sophisticated techniques like bots. Which is what the post I quoted was referring to.

Permabanned

Nobody can get cards either way, you are selling cards you know full well you don't have.

Apple launch and have millions of the product ready to go.

OcUK Staff
Scalpers, aka people who set up legions of bots to buy as much stock of a presumed 'in demand' item as possible, before anyone attempting to purchase via normal means is likely to be able to even secure access to the retailers' website.

This scalper stuff is largely nonsense, the vast majority of cards have gone to genuine customers and multiple checks have been done to remove people that wanted to resell, yes we can't stop your average Joe from buying 1 for themselves and then selling it, but it is not vast armies of bots managing to make orders, yeh they did ATTEMPT to place orders, but largely failed as cross-checks proved.

At least 98% of the orders are 1 off purchases to unique postcodes. At the end of the day you pay what you are willing to for an item, if they want to buy from a scalper for sometimes over double the price and no proper warranty then so be it.

Relative to the general populace though I doubt many people are daft enough to do this, this isn't 1 off tickets to a concert this is manufactured items, as such more will come around and most people know this.

The chances are, you are that far back in the queue because tons of other genuine customers were faster than you or more lucky with the website loading.

However as far as I am concerned if you are on the site waiting at the time of launch you have as much right to your queue position as Bob who was 5s slower than you at clicking buy now or John who got stuck with his card provider saying "nah mate I think this is fraud" Its just luck of the draw.

Back
Top Bottom