What the hell is making what beeping sound??

Associate
I have the current build in my sig, as well as a Corsair HX 620W ATX2.2 Modular SLI Compliant PSU, i mention this as i think it might be the cause of my question. Approx every 12 seconds i hear a 3 very soft and faint beeps sound coming from my case, ive put my ear to the rear of the case but it does sound like its coming from the psu. Does the Corsair PSU make any sounds if its changing voltages or anything like that??

Associate
OP
Just listened again, and it changes sometimes it will be 3 beeps in a row, other times 2, or just the one, never more than 3 though. Just stuck my ear right next to the rear of the case, and i dont think it is coming from the PSU, sounds like the mobo. Why would the mobo be making beeping sounds?, and their not like POST beeps, their a lot more quiet and softer, i can only hear them cos my fans are on low and very quiet themselves

Associate
OP
Does the Abit Ip35 Pro have a built in POST Beep speaker/PC Speaker?? As i retract my statment in saying a beeping sound as i listen to it more closely is doesnt sound so much like a beeping sound, more like a pc speaker gone wrong, and getting very little power and trying to beep, its quite hard to explain really

Soldato
Have you checked the front pannel connections? if your case has a speaker then some cross wiring could be causing the noise.

More likely though is that one of your fans is in need of a bit of lube. If you put your finger on them to stop it for a sec you might be able to work out which one it is, or just give all the bearings a little spray to be safe.

PK!

Soldato
Beeps from or related to the PSU is because something is eaither not getting enough power (maybe a lead is not plugged in properly?) or the PSU does not have enough power for the PC (the recommended wattage not the calculated amount)? or the PSU has a fault internally and needs replaced before it gets worse.

Try a different PSU and see if it still beeps, check your connections first.

If it looks modified (the PSU) and keeps beeping when unplugged I recommend you distance yourself as far away from the PSU as possible.. like.. RUN!

Associate
Beeps from or related to the PSU is because something is eaither not getting enough power (maybe a lead is not plugged in properly?) or the PSU does not have enough power for the PC (the recommended wattage not the calculated amount)? or the PSU has a fault internally and needs replaced before it gets worse.

Try a different PSU and see if it still beeps, check your connections first.

If it looks modified (the PSU) and keeps beeping when unplugged I recommend you distance yourself as far away from the PSU as possible.. like.. RUN!

:o lol

Associate
OP
Ive pin pointed the area to where you plug in the keyboard, mouse, usb etc on the rear of the case, and the timing of the 'beep' sound is not systematic as where my first impressions, its random. You know those cheap science sets you got when you where a kid, that had a beeper/buzzer, and you made a circuit that made the buzzer go off??, now ths sound im hearing is similar to the sound that would be made by this beeper/buzzer as if the batteries where almost dead or the circuit wasnt very strong, its a really febble unconsistance short quiet beep sound

Soldato
Maybe its not a beeping noise, but the sound of a capacitor being wrong (I know theres a proper term for this, but i have a really bad headache and my brain keeps forgetting english).

Associate
OP
Ok further advancement, its linked to the harddisk. When the HD is being access it makes that sound, i worked this out cos i was using a prog called Avi2DVD program, which convets avi2dvd, one part of the conversion process loads up a dos window which access the HD quite quickly when this happened that sound came back, the program crashed so have to go through the process again, this time i listen out for the sound and as soon as the dos window appeared and the HD was being accessed, sure enough i could hear the sound again. So im woundering if it might be a vibration sound, and somehow vibrates something towards the rear of the case??

Associate
OP
Anyone have any thoughs??, im now starting to think it might be my gfx card. As yesterday i open up my holiday folder that had loads of avi files, and when i opened the folder it started loading up the thumpnails for each video as it was doing this that weird sound came again. But then while thumpnails are loads it is also access the HD aswell, so it could be the HD like i listed about. I have one of those Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 coolers fitted to my gfx card, i mean if could even be one of those fins on that resonating. I just can not pin point to where its coming form, i can narrow it down the rear of the mobo where the usb, keyboard, mouse and line jacks are, or whats even causing the noise

Soldato
What make hard drive(s) do you have? Reason I ask is that I've had a Seagate drive in the past make what I can only call a chirping sound. I went through all of what you mentioned and even had a mobo RMA'ed as I was convinced it was the mobo but after putting the same hard drive into another PC the noise followed the drive.

Associate
OP
Its a Western Digital HD. The noise isnt loud at all, i have to really listen out for it, i think if my fans where a bit louder then it would maske the sound and id never hear it (as my pc is very quite indeed). Its just annoying cos i want to find out whats making it and why.

Ive come to the conculsion that is sounds more like a morse code now than beeping. And im quite sure now that its my GFX card, as i was on a web page which had a scroll bar for some items on the left hand side of the screen and when i scrolled the scroll bar up and down it made that morse code sound, but just listening out for it now and its done it now but i havent touch anything. Think im going to take the side of the PC again and try to see if it is infact the gfx card, maybe its just a noise these BFG 8800GT OC2 cards make

Back
Top Bottom