What the new version of MS Office for Mac

Soldato
As title as I am 90% sure I be buying a macbook later all being well if I am happy after an hour play with one. But like to know what the new version of MS Office for it as I know 2007 is out for windows and I can only find 2004 for Mac..

Or is there a better suggestion? I seem to like MS Office 2003 which i have for Windows

Soldato
Rookies said:
But like to know what the new version of MS Office for it as I know 2007 is out for windows and I can only find 2004 for Mac..

Or is there a better suggestion? I seem to like MS Office 2003 which i have for Windows

Office for Mac 2004 is not a universal binary, so it will not run natively on an Intel Mac.

Office for Mac 2008 probably will not be out for another AFAIK 4-5 months.

IMO Office 2007 looks better then the new Office for Mac 2008, I've played with the Beta of 2007 and it is not bad.

Soldato
With a gig or more of RAM in Office 2004 runs ok on an Intel Mac, it's pretty nasty on 512meg though. There's still no fixed release date on the new version, which will be substantially faster, but I believe they were aiming for Q2 of this year.

The other option is to run Office 2003 PC on CrossOver.

Soldato
OP
Ok so you all suggest I have my office 2003 on my Hopefully New macbook as a cross boot into XP.

This meaning I can only use it if I have XP booted up or am i able to use it within mac?

Soldato
OP
Will_3rd said:
Office for Mac 2004 is not a universal binary, so it will not run natively on an Intel Mac.

Office for Mac 2008 probably will not be out for another AFAIK 4-5 months.

IMO Office 2007 looks better then the new Office for Mac 2008, I've played with the Beta of 2007 and it is not bad.

So what your suggestion? As I love to be able to use a office suite while booted into Mac I dont want to have to boot into xp to use office suite. What are people using at the moment for their Mac?

Soldato
Rookies said:
Ok so you all suggest I have my office 2003 on my Hopefully New macbook as a cross boot into XP.

This meaning I can only use it if I have XP booted up or am i able to use it within mac?

I'm not suggesting that at all. Either install the current version of Mac Office (if you have 1gig or more) or use crossover, which allows windows apps to run inside OSX. The third option is Parallels using Coherence mode which basically runs windows inside a virtual machine, but just gives you your office windows mixed in with your normal OSX apps.

Soldato
OP
Beepcake said:
I'm not suggesting that at all. Either install the current version of Mac Office (if you have 1gig or more) or use crossover, which allows windows apps to run inside OSX. The third option is Parallels using Coherence mode which basically runs windows inside a virtual machine, but just gives you your office windows mixed in with your normal OSX apps.

How do I do crossover? Can I install my Windows Office 2003 into Mac os x or have i got to have xp installed I not too sure on this as I prob stick to my office for time being if you can explain how it done as that would save me some dosh

Associate
Will_3rd said:

Is there screenshots of Office 2008 already out? Is so, have you got a link?

Rookies said:
What are people using at the moment for their Mac?

I'm using NeoOffice, which is a free universal binary release, its pretty good but i'd prefer MS Office 2008 when it comes out :)

Soldato
Rookies said:
So what your suggestion? As I love to be able to use a office suite while booted into Mac I don't want to have to boot into xp to use office suite. What are people using at the moment for their Mac?

Parallels coherence mode allows you to boot windows only to run certain programs, allowing to launch Windows Apps from your dock on Mac OS X.

Associate
Soldato
OP
Will_3rd said:
Parallels coherence mode allows you to boot windows only to run certain programs, allowing to launch Windows Apps from your dock on Mac OS X.

What this cross over thing then? As I really dont want to install XP on my macbook as I decided to keep macbook as Apple and My Sony Laptop as Windows...

But if I am able to use my Office 2003 in Mac without having to install XP that be great.

What is actully wrong with Mac 2004?

Associate
Rookies said:
What is actully wrong with Mac 2004?

Not a universal/Intel binary, hence runs under emulation on an Intel mac. This means, that without enough ram, it runs like a dog. I have a 20" imac with 1 gig ram, 2.16C2D, and it is still pretty slow.

Will be getting 2008 when it comes out (hopefully under the Home User Programme, ie ~£17 :))

Back
Top Bottom