what to do if/when you hit the ceiling?

Soldato
So, short version: I'm on the verge of being offered a directors role in current job, over the last few years my focus has changed towards business development/positioning the company to get better work etc etc, however there has always been a no-go spot with it all - the detailed finances.
current directors are a married couple and, on the face of it, ithey don't want me to know how much they are taking out the business etc but it's starting to hinder the processes I want to implement.
Recently a contact had got in touch asking if I might be interested in a role with them and asked me to submit a cv, so I have an interview for that position tomorrow, however it's in a bigger company (although the role will involve business development and customer relations, which is what I've been doing...)
I think short term the money would improve with a move, but the commute would be a pain, my biggest concern is trying to figure out whether the financial side is always going to be a hassle if I do step up and whether that will always prevent me from implementing the changes we need...
The other thing is that either could easily be impacted in the near future, so job safety is a bit of a consideration

Man of Honour
Why not discuss this with the directors, presumably if you are on the verge of being offered a seat you must know them fairly well and they might [need to] be more open with board members than they have been with you to date. I'm no expert in this area but as a director at a minimum you'd probably get access to the management accounts. Essentially what I'm saying is I'd expect your level of access to change as a result of joining the board regardless of what has happened previously.

Soldato
OP
I know that if it's discussed they will say that it's no problem etc, but it's whether they will ever actually be willing to let me change the setup they've been so used to operating, if they are already touchy about me seeing anything, I can only imagine how it will go down when I suggest changes!

Soldato
You're always going to be out-voted two to one by the married couple and as a director you have legal responsibilities that it sounds like they're not going to want to give you the information to carry out. I'd certainly not want the directors role with them as described, better to stay as a wage slave and let them take the fallout if HMRC come knocking ... or suck up the commute for the new job if it offered. KEY question to ask of the new job is what COVID measures are they doing - how much work from home is going to be allowed going forwards.

Soldato
OP
You're always going to be out-voted two to one by the married couple and as a director you have legal responsibilities that it sounds like they're not going to want to give you the information to carry out. I'd certainly not want the directors role with them as described, better to stay as a wage slave and let them take the fallout if HMRC come knocking ... or suck up the commute for the new job if it offered. KEY question to ask of the new job is what COVID measures are they doing - how much work from home is going to be allowed going forwards.

it's definitely not a given that I'd always be out-voted (I can say that with certainty!)
That's the thing, if they just want to keep me as an employee then that's fine too, I'll just step back from the business side of things and ask for a pay rise all the time! It's just the limbo that's the unknown bit and I will talk to them but it's different them saying something and them doing it

interesting point about the working from home, although I like working in an office!

Back
Top Bottom