What to pair with a 3060 Ti?

Associate
Hi Guys, I managed to get myself a 3060 Ti FE and am looking for a new motherboard, CPU and Ram to go with it.

What I had in mind was an X570 board with a Ryzen 5600X as I wanted them to last a while so I only had to worry about upgrading the GPU in the future, but I have been reading the forums and a lot are suggesting a MSI B550 Tomahawk would be just as good for less money so this got me thinking about downgrading on the CPU as well.

Memory wise I got as far as seeing the sweet spot for AMD is 3600mhz but have no idea on which to get in that regard with the timing and what not.

Any recommendations on what I should be looking at for all of them?

Associate
OP
Lets get a build together , the Tomahawk is an excellent choice if you dont need WiFi, 16 or 32gb of ram , ? Rgb case ?

Thanks

I don't need Wifi no, I normally go for 16gb as I don't do any kind of multitasking or editing. I have a case, it's not RBG but I'm not a fan of them anyway and have plenty of storage so don't need anymore of that either.

Man of Honour
Thanks

I don't need Wifi no, I normally go for 16gb as I don't do any kind of multitasking or editing. I have a case, it's not RBG but I'm not a fan of them anyway and have plenty of storage so don't need anymore of that either.
Wasnt sure about psu so added one anyways but subtract if not needed. Memory is c16 timmings and fast 5600x comes with cooler but personally i would get an aftermarket for better thernals and noise, size dependent on case.

ODE My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £551.42 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Associate
OP
Looks good thanks. I bought a RM750X PSU last year actually when I thought my PSU was faulty when it wasn't lol

So you don't think its worthwhile getting an X570 board? Also would it be worth getting a Ryzen 7 3700X for another tenner?

Associate
OP
If you're only going to change graphics cards and not update to high core count CPU+add lots storage, there's little sense in paying for X570.

I have loads of storage already so am not planning on adding any more. Would a 3700X equate to a high core count CPU?

Man of Honour
Looks good thanks. I bought a RM750X PSU last year actually when I thought my PSU was faulty when it wasn't lol

So you don't think its worthwhile getting an X570 board? Also would it be worth getting a Ryzen 7 3700X for another tenner?
For gaming the 5600x is better so i would go for that unless your rendering and the x570 tomahawk is my fav motherboard for £180. Its offers you Wi-Fi and the abilty to run 2 x m2 pcie4 drives at the same time while the b550 is one pcie4 m2 and another pcie 3m2 drive , b550 is good enough for most.

Soldato
I have loads of storage already so am not planning on adding any more. Would a 3700X equate to a high core count CPU?
Because of older slower architecture that's worser for gaming than 5600X.
Single core performance is always what defines max performance in games, because core code of the games have many things which don't multithread.

And 8 cores found also from consoles isn't really high core count.
That starts from 12.

Associate
OP
For gaming the 5600x is better so i would go for that unless your rendering and the x570 tomahawk is my fav motherboard for £180. Its offers you Wi-Fi and the abilty to run 2 x m2 pcie4 drives at the same time while the b550 is one pcie4 m2 and another pcie 3m2 drive , b550 is good enough for most.
Because of older slower architecture that's worser for gaming than 5600X.
Single core performance is always what defines max performance in games, because core code of the games have many things which don't multithread.

And 8 cores found also from consoles isn't really high core count.
That starts from 12.

B550 and 5600X it is then. Thanks gents

Soldato
At 1440p the 3600 performs about the same as a 5600X with a mid range card like the 3060ti. Even with my 3080 @1440p I noticed very little difference when going from a 3600 to the 5800X I have now so it could be worth saving some cash then dropping in a higher core count 3D V-cache zen 3 a couple of years from now.

Associate
OP
If you're at 1440p you could save some cash with another setup at a very small performance decrease. But if not, dismiss this comment. Just thought i'd say.
At 1440p the 3600 performs about the same as a 5600X with a mid range card like the 3060ti. Even with my 3080 @1440p I noticed very little difference when going from a 3600 to the 5800X I have now so it could be worth saving some cash then dropping in a higher core count 3D V-cache zen 3 a couple of years from now.

I'll be playing at 4K with settings tweaked to get a stable frame rate mostly. Would it be worth the extra £20 for the 5600X?

Soldato
I'll be playing at 4K with settings tweaked to get a stable frame rate mostly. Would it be worth the extra £20 for the 5600X?
At 4k with a 3060 Ti I think you'll probably be gpu limited in just about any game, so basically any cpu will give you pretty similar framerates. A faster cpu will still give marginal benefits, and will make your pc more useable for other stuff if you ever fancy doing a bit of video editing or whatever, but won't really benefit you in games much.

See charts in video here : https://youtu.be/AlfwXqODqp4?t=1455

A 5600x would still be a good option, but if you're looking at it from a cost per frame pov then I think you could happily have a cheaper / older cpu.

Soldato
If you can only find a 3600 £20 cheaper than your best going with the 5600X but usually you can pick up the 3600 for nearly £100 cheaper.

Associate
OP
Ideally id like these parts to last 4-5 years so I don't need to build a new system again when I buy a new graphics card in the future but I guess that is a shot in the dark with not knowing what's around the corner anyway.

This is the first time I have bought a current generation card and was previously buying second-hand cards 1-2 generations old so they would just slip in my old PC no problem this is why I begrudge upgrading the mobo, CPU and ram again anytime soon after this.

The question is will the 3600 or 5600X stand the test of time like my 3570K did lol

Man of Honour
6 cores will be releavant for a long time but as new tech comes needs change but no one has a crystal ball.

4k gaming the cpu difrences are minimal but above 60 hz may be more of a factor.

Intel Alderlake is due to be released in approx 5 weeks mite be worth waiting.

Associate
DDR5 is around the corner, but affordable DDR5, crystal ball territory, as well as when talking about performance gains in gaming.

I wouldn't be too worried about which CPU if you can get a deal, and you have a board that can offer you an upgrade. Eg, B550 3600 to 5800x in a few years.

Like others said before, at 4k the 3060ti won't age perfectly, so if you're going to switch down to lower resolutions at a later date rather than buy a new GPU i'd probably get the best CPU and RAM i could within budget now. But if prepared to stay at 4k by buying a new GPU, then a lower priced CPU/board i'd go with.

No easy choices, but there's no wrong ones really either.

Associate
OP
I will be sticking with this GPU for a while and if I cant get 4K with a decent frame rate ill just drop to 1440p. I can get 5600x and a B550 tomahawk for £350 or a 3600 and a B55 tomahawk for £300 so I don't know what to do lol

Would the extra £50 for the better CPU get me a lot more longevity?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom