What to upgrade first

Associate
I'm looking to upgrade my PC for the first time in a while as I've noticed i'm struggling to run some newer games on even medium settings.

I currently have a:
  • i5 4690k
  • 16Gb DDR3
  • GTX 970
I'd realistically have to buy the CPU/Mobo/RAM bundle, and GPU maybe a couple of months after, my question is which do you guys reckon would deliver the best initial improvement - if only for a couple of months benefit until I catch up.

Worth adding I'm thinking of getting a VEGA 56, and a i5 9600k or round about.

Thanks!

Associate
I have a i5-4670k overclocked to 4.5ghz and for the most part it does fine.

So I would say definitely the GPU. Graphic settings are GPU related for the most part anyway, so it's definitely your GPU holding you back.

Then wait ~6 months and pick up a Ryzen 3000 series CPU when they release. It'll be cheaper and better than the i5-9600. If you need more CPU power in the meantime, overclock your i5-4690k.

Associate
OP
Hi, definitely upgrade GPU first, something like this:
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £359.89 (includes shipping: £9.90)

Is your CPU overclocked?
I have a i5-4670k overclocked to 4.5ghz and for the most part it does fine.

So I would say definitely the GPU. Graphic settings are GPU related for the most part anyway, so it's definitely your GPU holding you back.

Then wait ~6 months and pick up a Ryzen 3000 series CPU when they release. It'll be cheaper and better than the i5-9600. If you need more CPU power in the meantime, overclock your i5-4690k.

Thanks for both replies, that's exactly what I was after. and no my CPU isn't overclocked reckon I can get much else out of it?

Might order an after market cooler and get it overclocked

Associate
Thanks for both replies, that's exactly what I was after. and no my CPU isn't overclocked reckon I can get much else out of it?

Yeah Haswell CPUs were generally good overclockers. The range tends to be anywhere from 4.2ghz-4.7ghz depending on how lucky you got with your chip, and what your cooling solution is like plus case fans etc.

General rule for haswell was to keep voltage below 1.3v for long term 24/7 use, although given you plan to upgrade in 6 months you can probably push that voltage to 1.35v. Again will depend on your cooling. Then just see how far you can push the clocks on your 4690k.

Associate
OP
Yeah Haswell CPUs were generally good overclockers. The range tends to be anywhere from 4.2ghz-4.7ghz depending on how lucky you got with your chip, and what your cooling solution is like plus case fans etc.

General rule for haswell was to keep voltage below 1.3v for long term 24/7 use, although given you plan to upgrade in 6 months you can probably push that voltage to 1.35v. Again will depend on your cooling. Then just see how far you can push the clocks on your 4690k.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cooler-master-hyper-212-evo-cpu-cooler-hs-035-cm.html

Something like this do the trick?

Appreciate the response

Associate
Associate
I'd personally spend more on the CPU cooler, as that can be used on the new machine when you get it, even though I've ordered a 2700x with the bundled cooler. I wont be using it, I'll be taking the Noctua D14 off the Xeon as I want the PC as cool and quiet as possible (this is also the other consideration, noise).

Associate
OP
To update I bought the Vega 56, and a CPU cooler (went for the hyper 212), and managed to clock it to 4.6Ghz stable which I'm happy with.. and playing a lot of the newer games on ultra/high; BF5, Evil Within 2.

Thanks for the advice all!

Back
Top Bottom