What to Upgrade (If Anything)?

Soldato
I've got some money (about a grand) coming my way shortly and my wife is graciously allowing me to spend it on my pc if I want to. However, after being a slave to the upgrade itch in years gone by, I'm not sure what (if anything to upgrade). My current setup is:

Corsair 540 case
Maximus V Gene MB
2600K O/C to 4.5GHz
Samsung 840 250 GB
Samsung 850 512 GB x 2
MSI GTX 980Ti at stock
Samsung Green RAM 4 x 4 GB
Corsair H100i AIO
Soundblaster Z
Dell U2515H

There are a couple of options I think I could go for:

1. Go down the Ryzen/Intel route and replace MB, CPU and RAM.

2. Replace my monitor with a Dell S2716DG.

3. Put it towards a holiday - major brownie points from wife for this option.

I play lots of different games and my system plays everything fine at the moment, I just have the itch again to get something new :).

Soldato
I have the same monitor - the U2515H (love it - so bought 2) - and could never go back to a TN panel as I use it too much for work too, but must profess that I haven't seen the S2716DG in the flesh so I may be being over critical.

Personally, as your system is still a very respectable setup I would grab those brownie points - you never know when you'll need them ;)

But if you really have that itch the monitor seems the obvious choice - but it would be a very expensive scratch - but you would at least get to visibly see the upgrade.

The only thing I would suggest is that you look at a 27" in the flesh and consider how close you sit to the monitor - some people don't like the fact they have to move their head when they play games as the screen is so big. I found 25" to be the sweet spot for the distance I sit at from the screen.

Soldato
S2716DG is LIFE. I would fight to the death for mine. Best monitor I've ever used.
Hehe - looking at your post time (if you're not on shift work) that would certainly seem to be the case ;)

Dell, on the whole, make fantastic monitors - I've been a fan since the Ultrasharps appeared. I have no doubt that their high end gaming monitors must be impressive too.

I wish I could see one in the flesh - what are they like for Office work, CAD, etc?

Back
Top Bottom