What Tripod(s)...

Broadbandplacey said:
dod what benbo you got?

I'm looking at the trekker legs, im wanting something that will cope with: sitting in a river, standing sturdy on the side of a mountain, be about 3" off the sand on a beach that sort of thing

I've only got the minitrekker. Having said that it's almost solid enough to cope with a 1D MkII and 100-400 lens on it if it's not extended too far. More than adequate for the 20D, grip and 17-40 or 100mm macro which is what it usually gets used for. Got one of the benbo ball heads on it too which I prefer to a 3 way pan and tilt, but I'd probably go for a better head next time, this one can droop a bit with longer lenses.

The trekker will do everything you are looking for. It will give you virtually any position you want but it's not for every one. They don't fold down as far as a traditional tripod, they're fairly heavy and they are "different" to use to start with. Wouldn't change it though :)

thanks dod, :D

the longer legs isnt really an issue as i carry my present one, or hook it to the back of my bag, neither is weight particularly, im prepared to carry a bit of extra weight, especially if it makes it more sturdy.

James_N said:
Can someone recommend a GOOD tripod, not too heavy, for my Canon 400D ?

£80ish budget :) Less is good

Normally I use a Manfrotto 055MF4 Magfiber with the 486RC2 Ball head which is great. But Christmas just gone, had to reduce my aircraft baggage weight, so I bought the small and compact Velbon ULTRA LUXi SF and changed the ball head to a Manfrotto 484RC2 with quick release plate.

This using the Canon 5D with some white lens on it, which put it to its limits, I wouldn't have walked away from the tripod. But for your Canon 400D you would be fine. And match your budget.

Enclosed a photo for you.

IMG_1260.jpg

IMG_1256.jpg

For a holiday or budget tripod great!

I just splurged on a Manfrotto 190CL and the 390RC2 head (£99 from the High Street). Compared to the Jessops POS I had, it's built like a tank, and feels good :) I have also bought a Velbon CX Mini for hillwalking and everywhere else the 190 would be too bulky for....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom