What TV shows are you currently watching

Soldato
give it a bit, i just finished s3, its very well acted

Re: Peaky Blinders

You've just passed the peak, no pun intended. The next few seasons become so formulaic of what has already been past, you can almost guess every twist and turn that comes.

With that said, it looks fantastic, is acted well and has a brilliant soundtrack, it just lets itself down a bit with the script.

Binge watching line of duty while I've been off work with covid on season 4.. bloody good so far
It's fab but I have to say I was so disappointed with the ending!

I would happily re-watch the first 4 seasons for the 3rd time but I refuse to entertain the last season!

You might like the ending though but enjoy it all as it is an adrenaline fuelled watch :)

Re: Peaky Blinders

You've just passed the peak, no pun intended. The next few seasons become so formulaic of what has already been past, you can almost guess every twist and turn that comes.

With that said, it looks fantastic, is acted well and has a brilliant soundtrack, it just lets itself down a bit with the script.
That's an interesting point of view regarding Peaky Blinders!

I am saving all of them to watch over the dreaded Christmas period when freeview TV is at its worst as I've never seen it but heard so much about it! :cry:

Soldato
So two Farm programmes on the go as both are on Prime and my Sky Q box has died.

The Victorian Farm, a 2007 documentary about historical recreation of living on a Victorian farm. Brilliant stuff watched it before but enjoying it again.
Clarksons Farm, hilarious stuff plainly a degree of structured for TV is going on here but had me in giggles on numerous occasions.

Soldato
It's fab but I have to say I was so disappointed with the ending!

I would happily re-watch the first 4 seasons for the 3rd time but I refuse to entertain the last season!

You might like the ending though but enjoy it all as it is an adrenaline fuelled watch :)

Similar to my Peaky comments, LOD hits it's peak at the end of season 3, the tenuous plot links become eye rollingly bad by the end of it's run.

Also just a personal grumble but hearing them say 'mate' every other sentence is just so unnatural and forced.

Soldato
That's an interesting point of view regarding Peaky Blinders!

I am saving all of them to watch over the dreaded Christmas period when freeview TV is at its worst as I've never seen it but heard so much about it! :cry:

Accents are a bit jarring at first, almost too much forced brummy but it soon passes, I guess binging it will make the plot holes left obvious as well. However watching it week by week being able to think about certain elements while waiting for the next episode makes the faults more obvious.

I feel binge culture has made TV writers a lot more lazy, they can cram more questionable character/plot decisions in but as most folk are straight onto the next episode, they don't really think about what they've just watched in too much depth.

Similar to my Peaky comments, LOD hits it's peak at the end of season 3, the tenuous plot links become eye rollingly bad by the end of it's run.

Also just a personal grumble but hearing them say 'mate' every other sentence is just so unnatural and forced.
Yeah I totally get what you mean! Lol!

One of my favourite lines though is when Ted says "The wee witch!!" :cry:

I freely admit it gets really silly at times but it had me on the edge of my seat with excitement and nerves!!

Probably why the ending was such a bad come down. :rolleyes:

Accents are a bit jarring at first, almost too much forced brummy but it soon passes, I guess binging it will make the plot holes left obvious as well. However watching it week by week being able to think about certain elements while waiting for the next episode makes the faults more obvious.

I feel binge culture has made TV writers a lot more lazy, they can cram more questionable character/plot decisions in but as most folk are straight onto the next episode, they don't really think about what they've just watched in too much depth.
Would you call it a costume drama? I think that's partly one of the reasons I haven't rushed to watch it.

Gives me reminding nightmares of Sense and sensibility and things like that which I was forced to watch for A-levels. :(

You're right though that the ability to binge watch these days sadly means that some writers could be seen as being lazy perhaps.

Binge watching the last season of LOD prevented me from putting my foot through the tv at the end with disappointment! :D

I just went for a long and stompy walk with the dog instead! :cool:

Soldato
Yeah I totally get what you mean! Lol!

One of my favourite lines though is when Ted says "The wee witch!!" :cry:

I freely admit it gets really silly at times but it had me on the edge of my seat with excitement and nerves!!

Probably why the ending was such a bad come down. :rolleyes:

I still enjoyed it mostly up to the end, i feel it just lasted so long on the strength of the earlier seasons and got sillier and sillier. Ted is a brilliant character though and worth watching for varying Ted'isms.

Would you call it a costume drama? I think that's partly one of the reasons I haven't rushed to watch it.

I can see the correlation but no, I wouldn't class it as such, a costume drama to me conjures images of stiff upper lip british romance, this is the polar opposite of that.

You're right though that the ability to binge watch these days sadly means that some writers could be seen as being lazy perhaps.

I'm personally glad a few shows that I enjoy, such as The Boys and The Expanse went for the weekly release route. Gave me time to dwell on each episode and give it some thought and have something to look forward to the next week. On the flipside, it exposed how bad the writing on S2 of The Boys actually was :(

Soldato
I'm personally glad a few shows that I enjoy, such as The Boys and The Expanse went for the weekly release route. Gave me time to dwell on each episode and give it some thought and have something to look forward to the next week. On the flipside, it exposed how bad the writing on S2 of The Boys actually was :(

I've read the complete run of the comics and acknowledge that it is unfilmable as a TV series. But the The Boys TV series has absolutely nailed the premise and the worldbuilding it all feels so tangible and well craft but the story is off. It's not coherent it has utterly thrown away the arc of the comic but hasn't found anything better to replace it. It feels like they've got carried away with the idea but not thought it through and having been playing catch up with some of their bad plot decisions since the beginning.

I still enjoyed it mostly up to the end, i feel it just lasted so long on the strength of the earlier seasons and got sillier and sillier. Ted is a brilliant character though and worth watching for varying Ted'isms.

I can see the correlation but no, I wouldn't class it as such, a costume drama to me conjures images of stiff upper lip british romance, this is the polar opposite of that.

I've not heard of either of those series!

Soldato
I've read the complete run of the comics and acknowledge that it is unfilmable as a TV series. But the The Boys TV series has absolutely nailed the premise and the worldbuilding it all feels so tangible and well craft but the story is off. It's not coherent it has utterly thrown away the arc of the comic but hasn't found anything better to replace it. It feels like they've got carried away with the idea but not thought it through and having been playing catch up with some of their bad plot decisions since the beginning.

Same boat as you, read the entire run and feel like they're just taking a few elements here and there but doing their own thing. Season 1 did start well but by the end of it, felt like they'd written away a large portion of the main story. I'd been optimistic they had a good idea of where to go but S2 promptly showed me they don't really seem to know what they're doing and were riding the success of S1.

I've not heard of either of those series!

The Boys is a great antidote to superhero fatigue, a nice twist on a known premise. The Expanse is one of the strongest sci fi series for the last few decades, it's got some faults here and there but overall is consistently high quality.

Back
Top Bottom