What TV shows are you currently watching

Soldato
Just finished Inventing Anna on Netflix. The semi true story of fake heiress/influencer Anna Sorokin and how she works her way into the upper echelons of NY elite society, and defrauds a number of large institutions. I remember a headline or two about it at the time, but never took much interest in the real story when it was in the news.

Julia Garner (Ruth in Ozarks) plays Anna Delvey. In the very opening credits you hear her accent (she still has that drawl), and think 'they've got this wrong', but you get used to it after a time. At times she sounds like Esme Creed-Miles in Hanna, other times she sounds just like Ruth. When you actually listen to the real Anna Sorokin though, you realise she's not that far off.

The mini-series reminds me a little of the Billion Dollar Code, or the film I, Tonya in the way it is told. It's not quite as good as the former, but probably on par with the latter. I'd give it at least a 7/10, IMDB disagrees with gives it a rating of 6.9/10.

Anna Chlumsky as Vivian Kent (really playing Jessica Pressler) is decent, but does seem to go a little overboard. I found Alexis Floyd playing Neff to be one of the best characters in the show.

Last edited:
Soldato
This is Going to Hurt
BBC
Absolutely brilliant and a real eye opener. I hope they make more and the wife recommended I read the book.
yes - really good - it's like the analogue of malcom tucker in the thick of it ,
nhs has perhaps improved since it was written you'd be up for bullying tribunal in the 2010's,
apparently in the book his sexuality is not revealed at the same level - so some poetic license by beeb

Caporegime
Just finished Inventing Anna on Netflix. The semi true story of fake heiress/influencer Anna Sorokin and how she works her way into the upper echelons of NY elite society, and defrauds a number of large institutions. I remember a headline or two about it at the time, but never took much interest in the real story when it was in the news.

Julia Garner (Ruth in Ozarks) plays Anna Delvey. In the very opening credits you hear her accent (she still has that drawl), and think 'they've got this wrong', but you get used to it after a time. At times she sounds like Esme Creed-Miles in Hanna, other times she sounds just like Ruth. When you actually listen to the real Anna Sorokin though, you realise she's not that far off.

The mini-series reminds me a little of the Billion Dollar Code, or the film I, Tonya in the way it is told. It's not quite as good as the former, but probably on par with the latter. I'd give it at least a 7/10, IMDB disagrees with gives it a rating of 6.9/10.

Anna Chlumsky as Vivian Kent (really playing Jessica Pressler) is decent, but does seem to go a little overboard. I found Alexis Floyd playing Neff to be one of the best characters in the show.
Just finished and we really enjoyed it. I wanted to throw the remote at Neff though and yeah we thought the same about the accent until we heard her in real life. The Dropout next - Elizabeth Holmes/Theranos.

Also just started Severance, weird but consider me intrigued after episode 1.

Associate
nhs has perhaps improved since it was written you'd be up for bullying tribunal in the 2010's,

As a NHS worker it probably improved in some areas, but there is still plenty of bullying around and keep quiet culture in many areas. There is also still a quite wide spread thing with sweeping issues under the carpet (this mostly anecdotes from various colleagues I have that have worked in hospitals around England)

Soldato
This is Going to Hurt
BBC
Absolutely brilliant and a real eye opener. I hope they make more and the wife recommended I read the book.

The missus had read the book so wanted to watch this. It had a good story to it with some nice humour/sarcasm. Bit of a dark and sad twist at the end though.

Aaaaaaand still on The Blacklist. Currently half way through season 4. :o

Still have season 5 to try on Prime and then we'll see about the rest. It is feeling ok...starting to get interesting again. :)

I've just started again with the blacklist. I binged season 1 years ago when it first came out and didn't continue with it. Was quite strange as majority of the episodes I couldn't remember what had happened.

Soldato
Just finished S1 of 'Girls5Eva', a Tina Fey 30 minute, 8ep comedy. It was okay I guess, can't say I'd actually recommend it.

Still really enjoying 'Parenthood', although it's possibly starting to feel a little too heavy. Anything that could go wrong for this family, will go wrong...

Also getting a little bored with 1883. It seems most episodes are getting a little samey. I guess there's only so many things that can happen out in the wilderness.

Associate
Finished watching the Peacemaker. It was not bad; it was like watching deadpool but in a tv series. It has the comedic value of it which made it enjoyable to watch, the plot on the other hand is what you would expect from DC.

Just started to watch The Responder.

Soldato
The missus had read the book so wanted to watch this. It had a good story to it with some nice humour/sarcasm
just watching episode 3 ... and it was all going so well - like doctor who,
review had said doctors sexuality was not part of original book, a wasted episode, where they now shoe-horned the obligatory sex scene, civil marriage in - rather inconsistant with the humorous patient histories, elsewhere.
freeview - I'll give the upcoming peaky blinders a go - otherwise TV shows I wont be watching kiilling eve, Iprcress file

Associate
Finished watching The Responder. Not a bad series. It does give a sense of how a person is in at that particular situation. The actors/esses made it quite engaging and enjoyable to watch.

Just started to watch All of Us Are Dead.

Back
Top Bottom