What TV/sound setup do you have?

Soldato
Interested to hear what you are all running. I'm just starting to look into an upgrade.

Samsung LE46C750R2K > planning to go to 65" OLED
Samsung Blu-ray > Panasonic DP-UB820
Old Pioneer stereo amp > Denon/Marantz AV receiver
Wharfdale Evo 4.2 > expanding with more speakers

The Samsung still has a pretty decent picture despite its age, it just doesn't want to die! The Wharfdales have been much better than expected and I managed to pick a pair of ex display ones up cheap :)

Edit: Just to clarify for those that missed it, I'm curious to see whether you are now and what you're planning to go to. So many options, especially in the sound department.

Last edited:
Soldato
Visuals:
Epson 9300 Projector
77 LG OLED GX
Draper React 110'' ALR screen

Sound:
Arendal 1723S 5.1.2 setup (mini DSP 2x4HD for sub, AVR etc.)

Players:
I use a HTPC for 99% of my viewing so I can use MADVR to upscale and DTM.
Panasonic UB9000 (don't use this anymore), should sell it now I use the HTPC.

My plans are to move the OLED out of the home cinema room because everyone I've asked prefers the Epson with the MADVR DTM. For gaming, the OLED is amazing but I still find I prefer the bigger image over the perfect deep contrast OLED and everyone I've asked feels the gap in experience between the PJ & the OLED is bigger than what I think it is [they prefer the PJ].

My plans for upgrade re: components in the next 12-24 months are:
1. 2021/2022 JVC N7 equivalent projector (£7k) OR see if a good deal comes up at the time on a JVC N5/N7...
2. NORD Power amplifier (£2k)
3. New Subwoofer(s) (£2k-4k) - Either Arendal 2V or a PSA TV21 or a PSA S21
4. HoverBOSS (£1k) - I already have the parts, just need to build it. If it provides the TR I need, I will only buy one subwoofer..
5. 2x Arendal 1723S surrounds OR monitors & Arendal 1723S x2 Atmos speakers (whenever they release them)
6. HDMI 2.1 compliant AVR (I fancy a change from Denon but I basically need support for a 7.2.4).
7. Room rennovation and extension - home cinema room will be 7M x 4.5M; blacked out, velvet near the projector
8. HDMI 2.1 83''/77'' OLED if they offer them next year from Sony/Panasonic.
9. New Projector screen: I might buy a more expensive higher gain white screen for night time viewing and use the ALR screen during the daytime.

I see my speaker 'end-game' being a 7.2.4. I think after that diminishing returns really kick in.
I think once JVC release their next set of projectors, I'll probably buy most of everything at the same time as I'm pretty content with what I have at the moment. A lot of these purchases are held off due to the room rennovation & extension because it'll just make life easier to do it at once with wiring etc.

Soldato
OP
Visuals:
Epson 9300 Projector
77 LG OLED GX
Draper React 110'' ALR screen

Sound:
Arendal 1723S 5.1.2 setup (mini DSP 2x4HD for sub, AVR etc.)

Players:
I use a HTPC for 99% of my viewing so I can use MADVR to upscale and DTM.
Panasonic UB9000 (don't use this anymore), should sell it now I use the HTPC.

My plans are to move the OLED out of the home cinema room because everyone I've asked prefers the Epson with the MADVR DTM. For gaming, the OLED is amazing but I still find I prefer the bigger image over the perfect deep contrast OLED and everyone I've asked feels the gap in experience between the PJ & the OLED is bigger than what I think it is [they prefer the PJ].

My plans for upgrade re: components in the next 12-24 months are:
1. 2021/2022 JVC N7 equivalent projector (£7k) OR see if a good deal comes up at the time on a JVC N5/N7...
2. NORD Power amplifier (£2k)
3. New Subwoofer(s) (£2k-4k) - Either Arendal 2V or a PSA TV21 or a PSA S21
4. HoverBOSS (£1k) - I already have the parts, just need to build it. If it provides the TR I need, I will only buy one subwoofer..
5. 2x Arendal 1723S surrounds OR monitors & Arendal 1723S x2 Atmos speakers (whenever they release them)
6. HDMI 2.1 compliant AVR (I fancy a change from Denon but I basically need support for a 7.2.4).
7. Room rennovation and extension - home cinema room will be 7M x 4.5M; blacked out, velvet near the projector
8. HDMI 2.1 83''/77'' OLED if they offer them next year from Sony/Panasonic.
9. New Projector screen: I might buy a more expensive higher gain white screen for night time viewing and use the ALR screen during the daytime.

I see my speaker 'end-game' being a 7.2.4. I think after that diminishing returns really kick in.
I think once JVC release their next set of projectors, I'll probably buy most of everything at the same time as I'm pretty content with what I have at the moment. A lot of these purchases are held off due to the room rennovation & extension because it'll just make life easier to do it at once with wiring etc.

Really nice set up you've got there. Makes sense to try and coordinate the upgrades, it's the wiring that I'm having a good think about as I think I'll run the TV and the projector off the same AV receiver. The lounge is directly below the room with the projector so shouldn't be too hard.

I agree about 7.2.4, unless you have a huge amount of spare cash and a huge cinema room that should give good results if properly set up with decent components. I see a lot of people recommend multiple subs for more even bass and wider coverage.

Caporegime
TV is a 55” Samsung Q85R
Soundbar is a Samsung HWQ80R. (13 drivers in this bad boy)
STB/players are:

Sky HD 2TB box
Nvidia Shield
Sony UBP X700 UHD player
PS5 (disc)

Also have a network switch so everything uses a wired connection to a 350Mb broadband. Excellent for streaming.

Soldato
OP
TV is a 55” Samsung Q85R
Soundbar is a Samsung HWQ80R. (13 drivers in this bad boy)
STB/players are:

Sky HD 2TB box
Nvidia Shield
Sony UBP X700 UHD player
PS5 (disc)

Also have a network switch so everything uses a wired connection to a 350Mb broadband. Excellent for streaming.

How do you find the Nvidia shield? At summer point in going to have to replace my 2nd gen Fire TV 4k box. I want something that will support all the HDR formats and sound.

Caporegime
How do you find the Nvidia shield? At summer point in going to have to replace my 2nd gen Fire TV 4k box. I want something that will support all the HDR formats and sound.
Shields are great. I have an older one (2015), but it’s 4K HDR and still ample for my needs. Much snapper interface than other streaming boxes in my experience. Might get a newer one soon, but Nvidia keep all models well updated.

Soldato
Really nice set up you've got there. Makes sense to try and coordinate the upgrades, it's the wiring that I'm having a good think about as I think I'll run the TV and the projector off the same AV receiver. The lounge is directly below the room with the projector so shouldn't be too hard.

I agree about 7.2.4, unless you have a huge amount of spare cash and a huge cinema room that should give good results if properly set up with decent components. I see a lot of people recommend multiple subs for more even bass and wider coverage.

Thanks mare. If I didn't plan to use a hoverBOSS, I'd do 2x subwoofers in the best space for best frequency response and 1-2 subwoofers nearfield for tactile response of seating position.

Most underwhelming thing for me has been the 77'' OLED. I thought it would be the pinnacle and hard to go back from.. but no. Its pretty, its good in terms of analytical... but it has plenty of cons (and thats ignoring the size of it)

Soldato
OP
Thanks mare. If I didn't plan to use a hoverBOSS, I'd do 2x subwoofers in the best space for best frequency response and 1-2 subwoofers nearfield for tactile response of seating position.

Most underwhelming thing for me has been the 77'' OLED. I thought it would be the pinnacle and hard to go back from.. but no. Its pretty, its good in terms of analytical... but it has plenty of cons (and thats ignoring the size of it)

I've just been reading a thread you've posted in about the HoverBoss, nice idea hadn't heard about them before. My wife's very good but I think a sub or two will be as far as I can go for now, discs is limited too.

I'd be interested to hear what the cons of the OLED are?

I'm just planning an OLED for the lounge, viewed 99% of the time in the dark. I've got a 96" screen in the bedroom upstairs but I've got to redecorate the while room, build in some cupboards, mount the projector on the ceiling add speakers yet. That's going to take some time and money!

Soldato
LG 55CX OLED
2xQuad 11Ls
Naim Nait 5i Mk2
Arcam CD62
Rega Fono
Rega Planar 1

I've had some decent surround setups over the years but come to the conclusion I just prefer stereo.

Pretty happy with the Naim/Quad pairing.

Next up is a listening corner. Got a leather wingback chair and stool being made at the moment, will be adding a headphone amp and most likely a pair of Grado GS1000e for there.

Not sure why OP felt the need to be such a dick about being reminded there is a a massive, existing thread for this though....

Soldato
OP
LG 55CX OLED
2xQuad 11Ls
Naim Nait 5i Mk2
Arcam CD62
Rega Fono
Rega Planar 1

I've had some decent surround setups over the years but come to the conclusion I just prefer stereo.

Pretty happy with the Naim/Quad pairing.

Next up is a listening corner. Got a leather wingback chair and stool being made at the moment, will be adding a headphone amp and most likely a pair of Grado GS1000e for there.

Not sure why OP felt the need to be such a dick about being reminded there is a a massive, existing thread for this though....

That's nice, you've replied though and are throwing around insults, what does that say? The sticky is really just a "look at what I've got" thread. I was more interested to see where people are going and why. Welcome to ignoreland ;)

Soldato
I've just been reading a thread you've posted in about the HoverBoss, nice idea hadn't heard about them before. My wife's very good but I think a sub or two will be as far as I can go for now, discs is limited too.

I'd be interested to hear what the cons of the OLED are?

I'm just planning an OLED for the lounge, viewed 99% of the time in the dark. I've got a 96" screen in the bedroom upstairs but I've got to redecorate the while room, build in some cupboards, mount the projector on the ceiling add speakers yet. That's going to take some time and money!

5% grey banding
White DSE/grain
Abl
Flickering
Raised blacks in hdmi 2.1
LG poor image processing
LG poor motion
Poor motion stutter in 24p panning content
Poor full field hdr brightness

Back
Top Bottom