What type of plaster is this? Possible ACM?

Associate
I have had some people say lime / mix and someone believes it to be concrete render.

It is more of a beigh colour than grey in the images.

We are looking to fill in this hole that has been left exposed for over a period of ten years. It has been left in the state you have seen it, nobody has touched or fiddled with it since then but it is not extremely healthy looking.

The house is Edwardian, built in 1909, and we are clueless as to it the house has been replastered since then. Does it look like plaster from this age of house? IF not, what is it?

There are fears that this material could contain asbestos. It is extremely compact material, if that helps.

If I am correct, if it is the original plaster there would be no worry. Underneath the lining paper (on previous areas of the house we have worked on) the plaster is smooth in texture. I assume that if this is the original plaster the little white bits are pieces of lime.

Just looking for opinions as the occupants of the house are panic ridden.

What does this plaster look like to you? Does it fit the 1909 period? Or does it look extremely old? What does it contain upon seeing the images / videos? What is the plaster made up of? I am clueless myself!

The fibres are from the torn paper and there doesn't seem to be any (noticeable) fibres in the plaster make up- behind the plaster is pure brick wall that the house was made with.

There is little bits of white stuff. Is there any concern? Any opinion is welcomed. Trying to work out if this plaster is the original plaster or not / if it is common to find asbestos in residential plaster. This has been left exposed for over 10 years.

If it is asbestos, hopefully it gives us enough time until growing organs in the lab is a possibility so we can replace our ones lol. It was made by rocking back and forth on a chair, making the hole overtime.

I know it's incredibly hard to identify from an image if it is an ACM, but we are trying to cut out any potential risk factors / until we can afford testing or a surveyor. We would have been exposed for the past 10 years or so if it is an ACM, anything to bring peace of mind would be OK - even if it does turn out to be an ACM it would give us all time to prepare for any implications that can arise from exposure in the past.

In short, what type of plaster does this look like?
What is the likelihood that this house has been refurbished or replastered/how could we find out?
Does wall plaster of this kind tend to contain asbestos?
Upon first inspection, what materials does this plaster contain?
Does it look like plaster from an Edwardian or very old house house (90 years old / longer)?
What could those white bits be?

Thanks

Video

https://youtu.be/bbkyg1KWBEA

img_0896-png.136827
img_0897-png.136828
img_0898-png.136829
img_0899-png.136830
img_0900-png.136831

Last edited:
Associate
If you are worried about asbestos you can have it tested for not very much money (less than £50).

It's hard to identify asbestos from a picture and the fibres are microscopic.

Soldato
Well that certainly has to be one of the most long-winded way of saying "I live in an Edwardian house built in 1909, could this plaster on the wall potentially contain asbestos?". Even the condensed version has 6 questions :p

If in any doubt I'd get it tested, it's cheap to test and will alleviate any concerns. It doesn't look like your typical ACM but to be safe it's impossible to purely visually inspect for asbestos.

Associate
OP
Well that certainly has to be one of the most long-winded way of saying "I live in an Edwardian house built in 1909, could this plaster on the wall potentially contain asbestos?". Even the condensed version has 6 questions :p

If in any doubt I'd get it tested, it's cheap to test and will alleviate any concerns. It doesn't look like your typical ACM but to be safe it's impossible to purely visually inspect for asbestos.

Ha ha, thank you. Yes, I'd blame fear for the long winded essay! It's been on my mind since I was a wee' lad, pushed to the back of my mind only for me to begin thinking about it 10 years later.

Thanks either way bud. :) I got a testing kit, should be here tomorrow.

Either way, whatever happens will happen and there is nothing that can be done about it apart from putting up a fight. ;)

Soldato
Looks like old fashioned mortar mix plaster, it could possibly contain asbestos but it could also have horse hair, as it was used as a binding agent. With that there is also the possibility of anthrax...... Just to make you worry a little more :D

To be honest, it's mortar plaster, commonly made with lime, and bits of what ever is lying around, given the age of the property it was probably re done in the 50-60s and as long as your not ripping it down there is nothing to worry about.

Associate
OP
Looks like old fashioned mortar mix plaster, it could possibly contain asbestos but it could also have horse hair, as it was used as a binding agent. With that there is also the possibility of anthrax...... Just to make you worry a little more :D

To be honest, it's mortar plaster, commonly made with lime, and bits of what ever is lying around, given the age of the property it was probably re done in the 50-60s and as long as your not ripping it down there is nothing to worry about.

That hole you see was made by rocking on a chair so, it would be ripping it down in its own - less explosive way. Was in that room every day for three years.

The test kit will be here tomorrow and the results with me on Monday. I made that hole about 10 years ago in what is known as the computer room, I would have been inhaling fibres all day long every time I rocked back. It's been in the open for a good 10 years, so everyone else is at risk too. Isn't too good if it comes back positive but hey ho no point worrying.

Should have listened when they told us to not rock on chairs in primary school! Ha ha ha.

However, no lung issues as of yet so should be OK. Whatever happens, happens either way. :)

I've been told it's a lime mix. Only time will tell! Is it possible that it is the original plaster? There is no animal hair in it either or other (noticeable) fibres upon inspection with the bare eye.

Maybe when the testing kit comes tomorrow I'll throw oil over a chunk and set it alight - ill inspect for any fibres with a magnifying glass Ha Ha Ha.

Last edited:

Pho

Pho

Soldato
You can test if it's lime by scraping some of it off into white vinegar, if it fizzes it contains lime.
Obviously it could still contain asbestos, so wait for that test to come back first :p.

I've recently discovered the joys of old houses and lime plaster. Half of my house has gypsum on it which I think I'm going to have to remove to let the walls breathe. I'll probably end up posting a thread soon asking for advice :(.

Soldato
You can test if it's lime by scraping some of it off into white vinegar, if it fizzes it contains lime.
Obviously it could still contain asbestos, so wait for that test to come back first :p.

I've recently discovered the joys of old houses and lime plaster. Half of my house has gypsum on it which I think I'm going to have to remove to let the walls breathe. I'll probably end up posting a thread soon asking for advice :(.

Just find yourself a plaster that knows how to use lime and you will be fine, tbh its a better finish than modern plaster if you get a decent bloke doing the work!

Soldato
I wouldn't overly worry even if it does contain asbestos. Everyone has been unknowingly exposed to it at some point in time and at certain levels. It's most dangerous when it can be compressed (as it breaks into even smaller pieces) so is pretty stable in mortar/cement/lime. I'd be more worried if it was something like pipe lagging or a loose fibrous material.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
Just find yourself a plaster that knows how to use lime and you will be fine, tbh its a better finish than modern plaster if you get a decent bloke doing the work!

I think I might attempt it myself - I have a few internal lime walls that just need a skim coat rather than completely stripping back so they'll be a good tester. I'm pretty handy and YouTube has tonnes of videos on working with lime compared to gypsum.

I was thinking of internally insulating, which means thanks to having stone walls I'll need breathable paint (claypaint), breathable plaster (lime), breathable insulation (Pavatex woodfibre probably) but that's a moan for another thread I'm sure :D.

Back
Top Bottom