What upgrade is needed to render 3D images faster ?

Soldato
Guys - I have a software package called virtual worlds for 3d designing bathrooms and kitchens.

The images below took over 4 minutes, each, to render and I wondered what would be the best components to upgrade to get that speed a lot faster

There is a little ray tracing involved too, I believe.

Current spec is Ryzen 2600X in B450 Aorus M with 16Gb 2666 DDR4 RAM and a GTX 2060

jOpb2ah.jpg

euTkhcQ.jpg

Soldato
I would guess a cpu with more cores would improve render speed. The 2600x is a decent 6 core cpu, so it should perform pretty well for this task. A 3900x with 12 cores should give you a decent boost though.

Soldato
very nice
thats pretty realistic looking
not familiar with the software but
by upgrade you mean a component or 2?
or if it turned out way faster clock speed was the key then
you could change to a 5ghz intel set up?
and as always budget is important to know

Soldato
Stronger CPU always helps in 3D rendering, which is also one of the best multithreading things.

CPU VRM of that board is just quite flimsy with really flimsy cooling and 3900X would be pushing it in continuous workload.

Soldato
OP
very nice
thats pretty realistic looking
not familiar with the software but
by upgrade you mean a component or 2?
or if it turned out way faster clock speed was the key then
you could change to a 5ghz intel set up?
and as always budget is important to know

i just bought the system at the end of last year as a complete build and really didn't want to disturb it too much for warranty purposes.

Budget isn't too important - just didn't want to go about making wholesale changes and wondered if there was an obvious bottleneck to the rendering process

Soldato
I tried speaking to the manufacturer of the software but their tech dept were clueless

yeah i looked on their website
visually appealling but not much info on hardware
except minimum requirements
and a 5ghz intel is still multithreaded just depends if the software
benefits more from higher mhz more than some extra cores
is there a forum for users of the software?
as that would be better than us kind of guessing to be honest

and changing cpu,gpu or ram may invalidate your warranty anyway
you would need to read the small print
some cases even have a security seal you would break opening them

Man of Honour
Open task manager while it is rendering and see what is in use - with Windows 10's task manager you can get a good idea of GPU resources and the number of CPU threads in use, etc. (might have to change some settings to get the most useful metrics to show) and the balance of those should give some idea as to how threadable it is. (i.e. if it is only using 4 CPU threads heavily and the GPU is maxed out then a CPU with more cores possibly won't help while on the other hand if GPU utilisation is low but all CPU cores are maxed then it is more likely more CPU cores will help).

Soldato
OP
Open task manager while it is rendering and see what is in use - with Windows 10's task manager you can get a good idea of GPU resources and the number of CPU threads in use, etc. (might have to change some settings to get the most useful metrics to show) and the balance of those should give some idea as to how threadable it is. (i.e. if it is only using 4 CPU threads heavily and the GPU is maxed out then a CPU with more cores possibly won't help while on the other hand if GPU utilisation is low but all CPU cores are maxed then it is more likely more CPU cores will help).

Good idea....

CPU Maxxed out right from the start - GPU varied between 10 and 40% usage - strangely, the CPU never went higher than 3.91GHz despite all cores maxxed out

JxJ5YJ8.jpg

Soldato
I tried speaking to the manufacturer of the software but their tech dept were clueless
Well, isn't that the definition of consumer support and all "troubleshooting" etc things?

strangely, the CPU never went higher than 3.91GHz despite all cores maxxed out
Load is too heavy to boost all core clocks higher than that.
CPU's temperature or motherboard/VRM limits it to that.
100% means all cores/threads are maxed.

Man of Honour
As above change the view so you can see the per-core utilisation. 2600(X) won't boost above ~3.9GHz with all cores maxed out though without messing about with the BIOS assuming there aren't VRM limits, etc. on some boards I got ~4.2GHz all core just by messing about with the performance enhancement options in the BIOS and no actual overclocking but it seems to depend a lot board to board if that accomplishes anything.

Soldato
OP
Well, isn't that the definition of consumer support and all "troubleshooting" etc things?

Load is too heavy to boost all core clocks higher than that.
CPU's temperature or motherboard/VRM limits it to that.
100% means all cores/threads are maxed.

I see a competitor has a great deal on a Ryzen 3900 with a MSI X470 Gaming pro max mobo - is that a good one?

Soldato
I see a competitor has a great deal on a Ryzen 3900 with a MSI X470 Gaming pro max mobo - is that a good one?
CPU VRM of that board would need some case airflow to stay at good temperatures in full continuous load.
3D rendering hammering all cores/threads is one the heaviest workloads for CPUs.
X470 boards with strong VRMs cost pretty much same as X570 boards with even stronger VRMs.

Soldato
Aye, go for a 3900x and a decent X570 or the newer B550 boards.

avoid the MSI X570 boards other than tomahawk, Unify or the Godlike. All the others will start to throttle your CPU under your workload so counter the effect of the upgrade

Back
Top Bottom