1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What was it like growing up in the 80's.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ThatAsianGuy, 28 Apr 2012.

1. rz30

Wise Guy

ooops

2. Castiel

Perma Banned

Proper terrorists who killed, maimed and injured far more UK and Irish civilians than all the Islamic terror groups put together........not to mention all the organised criminality and direct threats to the UK public directly attributed to members of the IRA and their affiliates.

Yeah, let's swap what is effectively a distant, albeit real threat for the very real and immediate one that was/is right on our doorstep....

3. Hxc

Capodecina

I had exactly the same freedom and I was born in the 90s.

4. LizardKing

Sgarrista

The internet has had a fundamental effect on our way of life.
    Technology has always been improving and we've all heard "Kids, today have never had it so easy" and now we spout it to the kids of today. We all look back with rose tinted glass's, nothing has really changed in that aspect.

But the internet, its made the world such a small place, everything you ever wanted to know or see is at your fingertips. No longer the need to actually research and discover for yourself because its simple already on your phone.

It must be how the Victorians felt during the industrial revolution.

5. rz30

Wise Guy

Remember these adverts,

:D

6. wordy

Soldato

Pretty much everything is better now than it was in the 80's.

7. Bubo

Soldato

Or we could also assume tongue was very firmly in cheek as I said to the other guy. Jesus.

8. Castiel

Perma Banned

Backing down from a stupid statement by pretending you were being satirical......check!!!:p

9. Bubo

Soldato

LOLLE

10. d_brennen

Capodecina

Don't worry Bubo, what you did there, I saw it. These olds are a bit slow on the uptake...

:p

11. eddiemcgarrigle

Mobster

It was acceptable.

12. dowie

Capo Crimine

Yup... would have been nice if a certain pig farmer over there had been subject to extraordinary rendition.

Also ironic now that we've got a British Muslim man awaiting potential extradition to the US on the basis that he allegedly raised money for terror groups (an alleged crime he committed on UK soil) when back in the 80s plenty of Americans were doing exactly the same thing, openly, in bars in Boston with no recourse and even convicted IRA bombers on the run were able to escape extradition back to the UK.

13. Banzai_Joe

Soldato

Not read the posts since this as it is a natural closure point of the thread right there.

Spot on sir! :)

14. TwsT

Sgarrista

Being born in 1983 I can't say everything was ace because I was too young
    I do remember playing happily in my close with all the kids in the street till it got dark.

Also Even I wouldn't have dared swear at a a teacher that changed in my life time :/ My mother has been called some awful things teaching 7-11 year olds. Thankfully she's retired now she didn't let the little ***** get her down and managed to see it to 60 somehow

15. Banzai_Joe

Soldato

Born in 1970.

I rememebr a few of us going on a 'Stand By Me' type outing to some old rickety railway bridge that took us across rivers, canals and train lines over a whole sumers day. I was only 7 at the time.
    Nowadays? Jeez i wouldn't let my son down to the shop on his own until he was about 12. Maybe slightly over protective, but i do think its a sign of the times.

16. FTM

Soldato

my gran had a farm in northumberland a few miles outside haltwhistle that me and my 2 brothers would spend the entire 6 weeks holidays at...we basically roamed like wild kids for miles around, we were allowed air rifles and pen knives...we could go fishing, swim in the river, get dirty and eat wild fruit

I just cannot imagine kids these days having the same freedoms..not because its anymore dangerous, but parents just seem more protective ( I know my bloody sister still frets when I take her boy fishing)

best summer holidays ever though

17. realBabelfish

Mobster

i was born in 1975.

BMX, action man, star wars toys (and the movies)!!! and Lego. lego is weird now, all custom bits etc, although i look forward to getting my son some Lego in a couple of years. we made our own toys from cardboard boxes and sticky tape. our elderly relatives used to knit outfits for action men! lol

i think life was more simple. self image wasnt so important. as long as you had odd coloured flourescent socks you were ok :) i think we were generally happy with what we had as we didnt see things like cribs that just make people envious of others.

i feel sorry for kids these days. they seem to be forced to grow up quick. (we wanted to but were often just allowed to play)

i still listen to 80s music. a bit of nostalgia and music wasnt so up its own backside then. music was a lot more fun than now.

the world was MUCH smaller back then. even European holidays were rare. i dont think i even went abroad until i was about 10 when i went to Legoland in Denmark and didnt go abroad again until i was about 12.

cars looked ****. brown Austin Allegros and the like... lovely.

i tried that but the mrs told me she didnt like it ;)

Liverpool were amazing and Man Utd were ****. i never got **** for being a united fan in the 80s!

a bit of nostalgia for us 80s kids..... 'high speed dubbing' remember that? :D

or donnie darko even - that captures it pretty well to. Ferris Beuller's day off is still one of my favourite movies

actually the air was much cleaner then as it was air conditioned and fresh brought in. nowadays you have the same air all the flight. They mentioned this on QI a few years ago. i went to Kenya last year and by the time we landed the air was terrible. BO and malaria spray.

im going to get all nostalgic soon as i recently bought a house around the corner from where i grew up (to help look after my father to has parkinsons). my son will get to grow up where i did. that is going to be weird for us both!

yes to all of this. :) the QED was massive. they also did a program about sexual deviants when i was a bit older and we were all amazed how some people could abuse a toilet roll and sand paper! or a cheese grater!!!! i still sing the umbongo song to my son and he just laughs at me :)

just nipped out for a ciggy - looked at myself in window... polo shirt, side parting and high tops. i guess im still and 80s boy! :)

nah, he was much earlier. :D