What was it like growing up in the 80's.

Soldato
i was born in 1979 and i remember the 80's being ok but that's because i was a kid with not a care in the world.

i could get on my raleigh burner, go over to my friends house and play transformers or football and come home to potato waffles and beef burgers and watch grange hill on the tv. i was a happy bunny.

Soldato
Where I disagree there is SFX now are par for the course but seeing Close Encounters at the cinema in 1978 was somewhat mind blowing. Same for Star Wars. The SFX of those 2 may not be as good as they are in films today but back then they were amazing considering what we'd had before.

Im going to prob be odd here but IMO the effects in the old Star Wars are better than the new ones, the same goes for the Teminator/Aliens/etc films.

Its pretty simple, if its a puppet or a scaled down robot model thats been super imposed it looks cool and its actually there, people have put effort into making it and its physical. In a modern film its just a wireframe object with textures mapped around it, it may look cool to old fossils like Lucas and Spielberg but to anybody born in the 80's it was cool when Virtua Fighter came out but these days its just the same rubbish you see in every 360/PS3/PC game.

This is why I still watch my Dark Crystal/Labyrinth Blu rays but I sold the Avatar one as it has no replay value.

Soldato
Born in 73
Winters were snow covered and the world didn't grind to a halt.
You walked to school on your own, rain or shine and if you forgot your PE kit you did it in your underpants, no one brought you the kit from home for you.
Schools didn't close because it was a bit windy or there was a dusting of snow on the ground
You had a paper round if you wanted money
and you went to cub scouts and knocked on doors for spare change (forgot the cause :o)
You messed around in the woods and built hideouts without fear of being anally raped
You didn't worry about getting mugged or having the **** kicked out of you
You wondered what the hell that white poo was from on the pavements.
You mowed the lawns without question
You mowed your neigbours lawns for extra pocket money
You helped wash the dishes without question
and you certainly didn't back chat your parents teachers or elders, well unless you liked getting slippered / belted or caned that is.
If you got caught by a copper doing something you shouldn't, you were dragged back to your home by the ear lobe and got more slippering / belting or caning by your parents.
Your parents thanked the police for this service!
You didn't get £1 million quids worth of Christmas presents, you got a few wooden toys, maybe a Tonka toy if you were really lucky and you were thankful.
Your parents had big hair, beards and frilly clothes and didn't sit you in front of a TV to keep you quiet.

OK bored now. :D

100% agreed, also born in in 1973 :)

Those story books were you chose a number and turned to it depending on the option you had taken. Eg: Warlock of Firetop Mountain & Forest of Doom etc..

Ahhhhhhhhh, they were the Fighting Fantasy series, written by Ian Livingstone and Steve Jackson! Warlock of Firetop Mountain was the 1st of the series, then their 50th book was a sequel of that warlock story. I still got about 20 of those books under my bed :)

Soldato
i was born in 1979

78 here. Did you have a big sat. dish when you were a kid?

6500015.jpg

Permabanned
I was a teenager in the early 80's, rude boys ruled in them days, the ska era was fantastic, people were more easy going, much better than today, I feel so sorry for the youth of today, if only they could have had a taste of it.

Got my first computer in the 80's too, zx spectrum+2, but the 70's was the decade for me, just can't put into words the wonderful times when people were nice to each other, in contrast with today it feels like I'm living on a totally different planet.

Soldato
Born in 72. Yes there was some great things about the 80's such as the music, but there were some depressing times too.. Like EVERY Sunday... Everything was closed for the most part. Only had 4 channels of TV and Sunday TV was always pretty boring. I think my kids are having a better time, than i did. Yes they're missing out and spoilt in certain area's. But overall. I think what's available to them now, is a LOT more fun.

Back
Top Bottom