1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What was your first PC spec?

Discussion in 'Retro Gaming and Vintage Computing' started by Thesnipergecko, 5 Jul 2018.

1. OspreyO

Mobster

486dx33 4mb ram and a 80mb hard drive.
    I think local bus Vesa graphics. Then 3dfx.

Had a Mac at the same time. LCll similar specs.

2. MrFunex

Wise Guy

An Orchid Righteous! You’ve just reminded me!

50MHz and 4Mb of pass-through cabled goodness! If memory serves, it didn’t need a heat sink, let alone a cooling fan, but could be ‘overclocked’ to 58Mhz. I never did though, one slip, and I’d be back to the Stone Age!

3. Noxia

Sgarrista

I had an AMD K6-2 450 I think, I got a RIVA TNT 32bit GPU but it didn't support Open GL for quake (but combat flight sim looked better) so I changed for a Voodoo 3 2000. Think it was a 6.4Gb drive and I had 64gb RAM so it could run Quake 3 quite well.

I remember getting a 17" Iiyama monitor and it was a huge step up from the 14.

4. Hades

Caporegime

Mine was an Aptiva 486 DX66. I can't remember the size of the hard drive or the memory. I had a 15" Sony monitor with it. My friend bought a 17" instead but I decided to buy a better quality but smaller monitor for the same money. I seem to recall it had a very basic 1mb graphics card but I can't remember the make. Either on that machine or on a later one I upgraded the graphics to one of the very early 3D cards which was a Diamond Edge 3D. But I returned it becase it actually ran games slower than a 2D card :) My first proper 3D card was a Videologic Power VR which was a competitor to the 3DFX at the time. The Power VR ran at a higher resolution than the 3DFX (1024x768 instead of 800x600) and came with fantastc racing game called [email protected]

This was back in the days when you needed both a 2D card and 3D card and the 3D card couldn't run on its own. It was also before Direct 3D was introduced. So you had to buy games which were written to support the GPU. Over time the Power VR started losing market share to the more dominant 3DFX so I swapped to one of those instead... and then two of them in SLI. The 3DFX did have much better colour representation than the Power VR but I still have happy memories of using it on Quake 2.

5. MissChief

Capodecina

486 DX2/66, 4MB RAM, 545MB hard Disk and with a 14" CRT monitor. From an old shop on George Street in Edinburgh, long since closed down called ESCOM. Came with IBM PC DOS instead of MS DOS. I can even remember how much. £1142.56. You'd get a beastly machine for that these days! I had to wait 5 days for them to build it and on the day I ordered it I bought a copy of X-Wing. I must have read that manual a dozen times before I could play it.

6. Vipernet

Mobster

Fantastic memories of this also! Thanks for reminding me! That was played on our first "family" pc bought from Toys R' Us back in 1996 when I first started high school.

If I recall it was a Fujitsu Siemens Pentium 120mhz with 32mb memory and a 4.3gb hard disk! I also remember the soundcard and 33.6k modem were together on a pci card.

Ahhh....memories.

7. Digital X

Sgarrista

The game or the pentium? We had no internet at that house. Not that I recall it was on a farm.

8. HeX

Capodecina

Technically a C64, but first proper IBM PC:

486 DX2 50MHz
    4MB RAM
    270MB HDD
    2x CD-ROM
    1MB Cirrus Logic
    SoundBlaster! 16

AST Advantage! was the brand, played the crap out of the minigames in Encarta'97 and an absolute TON of DOOM :D

9. MeatLoaf

Capodecina

My first pc was an olivetti from radio rentals.

P133
    4Mb RAM
    CDROM and soundcard
    800Mb Hard Drive
    14" CRT

Then the first one I built myself was a but newer

P200 MMX on a crappy pc chips mobo
    8Mb RAM
    CD ROM
    Voodoo 2 PCI GFX
    Tape backup drive
    1GB HDD
    SoundBlaster AWE 32
    14" CRT

10. MeatLoaf

Capodecina

We had an ESCOM round here they were expensive. They sold amigas as well I think.

11. Flibster

Caporegime

Yup.

Escom bought the remains of Commodore and massively expanded their retail presence as well. Unfortunately overspent doing that and went titsup shortly after.

12. BubbySoup

Mobster

Mine was a 486DX2-66 - I can't remember the exact specs but it was pretty beefy for the time. It was from Dan Technology.

13. Ollie83

Hitman

Apple Classic 1990.

Motorola 8mhz
    1MB Ram
    40MB
    9-inch display, 512 × 342 pixel resolution monochrome.

Seriously expensive it was too!

14. Hugo_Sanchez

Gangster

Compaq presario (think it was 4110)
    P120mhz
    16MB ram (upgraded to 24MB)
    1MB video card (make unknown)
    14' crt (deeper than a house lol)
    1Gb hdd
    6x speed CD rom
    And it came with pga golf 96
    Cost £1000

Last edited: 22 Jul 2018
  15. acharris

Hitman

My first PC was a Fujitsu Indiana PC from Toys R Us. My parents bought it for me for my 18th. Specs were:

486 DX2 66 Mhz (which later I fitted a Pentium 83 Mhz overdrive processor)
    4 Mb Ram (later upgraded to 8 Mb)
    420Mb hdd
    4 x CD Rom
    Soundblaster 16 Soundcard
    1 Mb video card
    MS DOS 6.1 and Windows 3.1
    Also fitted a 24k Dial-up modem later on

Played a lot of Wolfenstein and Doom on this PC.

16. bcfc0703

Associate

My first PC was a second hand Tandon 286 with a VGA monitor i bought from the IT department when i was at uni for £100. i bought it to type up my assignments on Wordperfect instead of using the PCs at uni. It had a massive 10MB hard drive lol, I even had to install my own 3.5" floppy drive I bought from Maplin as it came with a 5.25" drive, oh happy days! The only game I ever played on it was the original Simcity :)

17. Vern1961

Mobster

Strictly speaking an Amiga A600 but first "proper" PC was a hire from Radio Rentals (!) in 1995.
    486 SX50
    4Mb RAM (I later paid them £150 to fit another 4Mb).
    Can't remember GPU or HD size.
    It ran most of the games of the time fairly well though choked a bit on Wing Commander 3. However the initial 4Mb of RAM required endless faffing about making boot discs (later discovered how to set this up from the HD) particularly for titles which required extended (or was it expanded) memory and the CD-ROM drivers loaded, like Tornado. I felt like Gary Sinise's Ken Mattingly in Apollo 13, trying to configure the re-entry sequence, at times.
    Think I ran it for about a year before sending it back and buying my first Pentium.

18. davewhite04

Mobster

386DX 16Mhz

Can't remember the RAM but it only had a floppy drive and a 14" Monitor. I invested in a Soundblaster sound card first... Indiana Jones, Monkey Island 2. I loved my mates Amiga but my PC blew it away! Very happy days indeed.

19. pingwing

Capodecina

First PC I remember was that Amstrad that had a fan in the screen to "cool" the cpu (despite being in the box underneath)

No really fond memories of that so my first PC was a really simple HP 386 with a meg of ram and a 14" via monitor, dad "borrowed" it from work in 93 so I could learn DOS before writing was important (and play Raptor call of the shadows and Hocus Pocus when shareware was a brilliant thing). PC's back then were way cooler, we had a few odd Pentium and pentium pro boxes from his work round the house followed by a range of later 90's unix work stations we'd put windows on so I could game when they weren't "testing". Shame they all got sent back to the USA when his company ditched it's UK wing.

My first build in 05 was:
    Athlon 3000+ (replaced with the opteron up 148 that just pulled 3ghz)
    Terrible Foxconn board (replaced with an Asus SLI board that overclocked)
    512mg ram
    Originally it was a 6600gt, nice and cheap card but replaced ATI X800 gto2 (the OCUK special you could flash the bios for to make it an xt with 16 pipe lines) -
    80gig hdd :(

Looking the gto2 was the coolest addon my mate bought one of as well (I flashed it for him), even if we discovered how bad the Linux ATI drivers were, spent too much time switching cards just to run civ4 in gentoo linux...

Half of this is not retro enough so the best memories are going to my neighbours house and playing Amiga 500 games on that instead! He had all the best PC games when we were kids

Last edited: 27 Jul 2018
  20. Azra

Hitman

Victor Vicki.....portable...if you were Schwartzenegger