1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What watch do you wear?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Doran, 21 Apr 2008.

1. Rikki

Wise Guy

Ceramic cases are as fragile as sapphire crystals so if you are fairly good with not banging up your watches you'll be fine. I've got a Tudor Blackshield Fastrider ceramic I got in 2017 and an Omega Speedmaster Apollo 8 ceramic from 2019 and both are perfect.

2. Rikki

Wise Guy

Like Tudor and TAG etc? Most Swiss companies below the £10k mark get their dials from Taiwan, cases from China and other parts from wherever is cheapest then fudge the figures to get 60% of the "value" of the watch to originate in Switzerland by overpaying the assembler and boom ... Swiss made on the dial.

3. Mobius 1

Capodecina

Eh? Tudor watches and their parts are sourced and made in Switzerland?

4. Richdog

Caporegime

I'm sorry but you clearly a little confused if you are using a value as high as £10k as a benchmark of being made in China. To name a few; Oris, Zenith, Tudor, IWC and even Rolex are luxury watch brands with a range of models below 10k MSRP that are for all intents and purposes fully manufactured and assembled in the French part of Switzerland; I have driven past all of the factories when on my travels hiking and skiing.

Last edited: 5 Nov 2021
  5. Mobius 1

Capodecina

A quick google confirms this too. :) With regards to Tudor anyway. Didn’t search the others :p

6. panthro

Capodecina

Sorry, but just because you live there and drive past the buildings doesn't make you some kind of expert. I work in the watch industry with several brands and all those brands you have named above aside from Rolex will source a varying degree of parts in Asia. What Rikki said is correct.

7. MoRT489

Soldato

Picking up the deployant strap for my Apollo 8 DSOM next week, been paranoid about dropping it each time I take off the normal one :D

8. Richdog

Caporegime

Come on panthro, instead of vague and general statements, please explain to me exactly which parts are sourced from chinese components in their £5-10k watches from those brands I listed. I am happy to defer to your knowledge on this topic when you provide evidence that they all do besides Rolex.

9. dLockers

Sgarrista

Hand bags down ladies. He said up to £10k, I imagine it becomes fewer and fewer the closer you get to £10k. It is interesting to hear the point Rikki made though -> 60% of value makes it Swiss and you can pump that with labour cost in Switzerland to make it work.

10. Richdog

Caporegime

There are no handbags and we are presumably all grown adults here, I am just very reasonably asking someone to provide evidence for their claims rubbishing that luxury watches from the brands I listed are for all intents and purposes manufactured (not just assembled) in Switzerland.

11. panthro

Capodecina

I have no need or desire to provide evidence of anything. Mainly because it wouldn't benefit me or do me any favours. What sort of evidence do you expect me to produce? Delivery notes and invoices? I could happily provide a list of components and names of some companies but you will find little evidence of who they supply.
    Edit - I didn't say Chinese I said Asia.

12. panthro

Capodecina

Here is a fairly non-descript supplier of case assemblies. As per the website, these companies are discrete and are generally operated by Swiss nationals who are seasoned watch industry experts.

https://www.prgthailand.com/

13. Richdog

Caporegime

Right.

I have no doubt that this company supplies many watch brands, but does it provide any of the luxury watch brands at the pricepoints I listed?

14. panthro

Capodecina

Quite possibly.

15. Richdog

Caporegime

In other words; you do not know.

16. panthro

Capodecina

As I said, I have no need to provide you with evidence. Swiss brands work hard to protect their supply chains and seemingly do a good job as most consumers are none the wiser.

17. Richdog

Caporegime

If you are unwilling to provide evidence to back up vague statements then your opinion isn't worth anything to me and I will know to ignore it in future. *shrugs*

18. panthro

Capodecina

That's fine, I'm not sure what providing you with the precious evidence you seek will gain, but as Rikki said already from his dealings with the industry, the majority of brands will source many components (excluding the movement) from outside Switzerland and mostly within Asia and in some cases have dedicated supply operations in low cost countries. Manufacturing a circa £3k watch i.e an Oris Aquis at current Swiss labour rates and overheads would leave you with little to no margin, and the optimal margin on a watch is 80-85%.
    Playing spot the logo on buildings whilst driving through the Swiss countryside doesn't make you an expert or any further informed.

Last edited: 6 Nov 2021
  19. VBN

Gangster

Omega Seasmaster 300m NTTD. Bought a couple of weeks ago. Mixed reviews but I love it. Really light, strap is good. Not as nicely presented as the Spectre ltd edition. Just waiting for the NATO strap to arrive.

[​IMG]

20. dLockers

Sgarrista

Super jealous. Really love this piece but I can't justify it.

Edit: how much did you pay? Are they going lower than retail?