What watch do you wear?

Soldato
No-one said your opinion was 'wrong', and you can buy what you like. It is in my eyes really, really not a classy looking watch though, and for the same money there are many better. Rotary also have a less than great reputation for quality.

Your opinion is yours, fine. But why is Rotary questionable? At least give some insight as to why your opinion is so strong. I can't stand the look of the watch from the maker you suggested, to me they look like £20 gifts someone would buy from Argos. But again, opinion.

Someone is a pleb for saying a watch looks hideous? Ok, *********, you buy that gold-accented 420EUR quartz watch. I'm sure it will fit well with your tastes. ;)

Classy, real classy.

Anyway, for those with constructive input rather than acting like a petulant child. This is an alternative I like from Rotary. I'm not confined to Rotary in choice, but their designs catch my eye. I like leather straps, gold casing and simple faces. As said, sapphire is really the only requirement I have for my every day watch.

http://www.rotarywatches.com/en/the-rotary-collection/les-originales-watches/gs90192-02

Associate
Your opinion is yours, fine. But why is Rotary questionable? At least give some insight as to why your opinion is so strong. I can't stand the look of the watch from the maker you suggested, to me they look like £20 gifts someone would buy from Argos. But again, opinion.

Classy, real classy.

Anyway, for those with constructive input rather than acting like a petulant child. This is an alternative I like from Rotary. I'm not confined to Rotary in choice, but their designs catch my eye. I like leather straps, gold casing and simple faces. As said, sapphire is really the only requirement I have for my every day watch.

http://www.rotarywatches.com/en/the-rotary-collection/les-originales-watches/gs90192-02

Watches are so personal that you should buy whatever takes your fancy. However - Rotary are generally bad and for the same price, you could have something much, much nicer!

Check out the Orient Bambino - they have some nice classic designs, are cheaper and come with a nice mechanical movement.

If you are wanting a Quartz, have a look at Frederique Constant - their watches are beautiful (yes sometimes more expensive).

My choice? For a classic look and quartz for $299 - check this out https://www.massdrop.com/buy/frederique-constant-slim-line-quartz-watch

Let me know what other requirements you have and I'll have another look round.

Soldato
Anyone have any thoughts on this:

http://www.rotarywatches.com/en/the-rotary-collection/les-originales-watches/gs90136-02

Thinking of buying this as my daily watch. Sapphire glass is a must in my experience!

Gold and classic then at least consider a Tissot. I wouldn't go for a Rotary at the expensive end of the budget watches. From experience, the quality on the Rotary watches isn't that good.

http://www.thewatchhut.co.uk/tissot...rWA6qMmB_tU4QDIVTCyjAaAsVJ8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Ps, this Tissot can be had with between 10% and 20% off the price.

Last edited:
Soldato

I think some of us in here (myself in included) sometimes don't realise that those posting in here may not know quite as much about some of the brands that pop up. So sometimes explanations aren't given as to why a manufacturer is a bit poop. I'm not saying that's necessarily the case here, but I will say that Richdog has been very helpful elsewhere in this thread so it may not be quite as clear cut and brutal as it can appear.

I know nothing of Rotary so I'll stop here!

Soldato
Watches are so personal that you should buy whatever takes your fancy. However - Rotary are generally bad and for the same price, you could have something much, much nicer!

Check out the Orient Bambino - they have some nice classic designs, are cheaper and come with a nice mechanical movement.

If you are wanting a Quartz, have a look at Frederique Constant - their watches are beautiful (yes sometimes more expensive).

My choice? For a classic look and quartz for $299 - check this out https://www.massdrop.com/buy/frederique-constant-slim-line-quartz-watch

Let me know what other requirements you have and I'll have another look round.

A vote for the Bambino, though it is very different to at least the first Rotary. Tissot as mentioned do some lovely watches. I have one of theirs and I'm a huge fan, but it's not the same kind of price bracket.

Any particular reason for the leaning towards Rotary over other brands?

Soldato
Thank you all, fantastic suggestions and great advice, now I know to avoid Rotary! I don't know sod all about watches, I go with what takes my fancy when I try it on at the shop.

I simply posted asking for thoughts on the watch and brand but sadly I got my head bitten off as it was a 'hideous' choice in others eyes...

I'll take a look at whats been suggested and come back with some questions no doubt.

A vote for the Bambino, though it is very different to at least the first Rotary. Tissot as mentioned do some lovely watches. I have one of theirs and I'm a huge fan, but it's not the same kind of price bracket.

Any particular reason for the leaning towards Rotary over other brands?

It's purely the design, I like the idea of a gold watch to compliment a wedding band I'll soon be wearing. I've currently got the following as my daily runner and only watch, it's taken a beating whilst I've gotten used to wearing a watch and still looks fantastic:

http://www.bocciatitanium.com/en/pr...r=men&filter=true&posts_per_page=12&offset=12

It was actually the earlier version of that. It's very simplistic yet smart which is what I like. And the more I look around, the more classic I like the watch to look. I know, weird taste.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I have a Rotary automatic watch, I have to say it keeps time amazingly well compared to say, my Orient which gains a minute a week (which I believe is within expected range). Only thing I'd add is that I got the Rotary in an Amazon flash sale and it was much, much cheaper than the RRP.

Soldato
I have a Rotary automatic watch, I have to say it keeps time amazingly well compared to say, my Orient which gains a minute a week (which I believe is within expected range). Only thing I'd add is that I got the Rotary in an Amazon flash sale and it was much, much cheaper than the RRP.

The watch I linked, I can find new for 2/3's of the price, which I thought wasn't bad!

Associate
rotary have been around for years, they fine. like any brand not all as good but they are far from a brand to avoid. I've got an old gold auto rotary of my granddads keeps to with in a couple of secs a week if i wear it.

Caporegime
I think some of us in here (myself in included) sometimes don't realise that those posting in here may not know quite as much about some of the brands that pop up. So sometimes explanations aren't given as to why a manufacturer is a bit poop. I'm not saying that's necessarily the case here, but I will say that Richdog has been very helpful elsewhere in this thread so it may not be quite as clear cut and brutal as it can appear.

I know nothing of Rotary so I'll stop here!

I didn't think it was brutal, but then maybe again I am slightly inured from years of forum posting to how delicate people can be. I just assume that it's a thread full of grown up people who don't take everything personally just because someone has a different view and uses a bit of strong wording about an item they don't even own yet. I guess I need reminding now an then that this isn't the case. :)

Soldato
I didn't think it was brutal, but then maybe again I am slightly inured from years of forum posting to how delicate people can be. I just assume that it's a thread full of grown up people who don't take everything personally just because someone has a different view and uses a bit of strong wording about an item they don't even own yet. I guess I need reminding now an then that this isn't the case. :)

Agreed. I'm not as polite as you were in that post when I'm criticising something on the other forums I frequent!

Soldato
Had a massive senior moment tantrum yesterday. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

My Seiko 5 was filthy so out came the tools and took off bracelet and washed it and cleaned the watch - I have come to the conclusion old age is a handy cap - Eyes and fingers do not work in sync if they work at all - I was quite impressed at how far a spring bar can fly when it slips off the bar tool. -- After two 30 min attempts I finally got it together -- I will give 10x10 for these LED head lamps. :(

Back
Top Bottom