What watch do you wear?

Soldato
Nice catch! I prefer that logo too, rather than their more blocky one.

eBay really can be great for watches, but there are so many franken/partsers that can be being unwittingly (or intentionally) sold by sellers on there. There are repeat fake sellers who somehow still peddle their wares too, even though they've been caught out, reported and their listings taken down by eBay. Same account, left to keep selling.

Associate
Had this up for sale at the weekend but after wearing it to take some pics i think im going to have to keep it.
k8Red4p.jpg

This arrived couple of weeks ago. Lovely little thing but i need a less dressier strap for it.
Vfm8jgW.jpg

7MRw1fs.jpg

QZu8sfF.jpg

ApUebms.jpg

Rzv4ip5.jpg

Associate
So, I have an Ebel watch my dad gave me which he got for his 21st in 1965ish. It was serviced a long time ago and had the glass and crown replaced but they're not to original spec so I'm looking to send it away and get it 'restored'/serviced properly. I've found a place near Manchester but would like some independent thoughts on them if possible. Has anyone used www.prestigetimeservices.co.uk ? What was your experience like?
If anyone has any advice otherwise on having this sort of thing done, anywhere particularly I should look? Anything i need to look/look out for?

Thanks a lot

Associate
Good to know. Thank you. They seem to be the best I have found (from the website blurb) for restorative work and servicing watches, unfortunately the official Ebel service website gives places like Beaverbrooks and Goldsmiths as recommended outlets to take it to.

Soldato

It's amusing to say, but you're paying for the brand with that one. Quartz moonphase calendar watches, same movement as that and going for 20usd can be found on alibaba. It's really worth looking on there to compare what they have if you're looking at cheap retail watches just to see what you're actually buying.

https://m.alibaba.com/product/60645...s.html?spm=a2706.7843667.1998817009.11.vMeW2h

[Edit: bad example. My link has a date window and 24hr register rather than just the date register like on yours. If you look on ali I reckon you'll find another identical to yours, just with another brand present. Note the 'Swiss Made' label on the one I linked to!]

The getting rather famous backwards DW brand takes a 3usd watch on ali and flogs them for £150+. Like your 'Loretti' above, it's just a case of taking the name of one 'watch brand' off the dial production line and whacking another on.

Last edited:

TS7

TS7

Soldato
A friend picked up a Rado recently, I'm not sure on exactly how much he paid but I think it was around 1k. While admiring it I noticed it's not an automatic.

Can someone with more watch knowledge please explain? I was under the impression of what made expensive / luxurious watches expensive was the automatic movement?

Soldato
Can someone with more watch knowledge please explain? I was under the impression of what made expensive / luxurious watches expensive was the automatic movement?
Not at all - you get some automatics that you can buy for a tenner. They'll be pretty unreliable and inaccurate, but you can still buy them. Still more expensive than the cheapest quartz pieces though.

There are quartz watches costing many thousands of pounds, as not all are created equal. They're much more accurate than automatics/manuals, with the COSC certification for autos and quartz showing just how different they are in the accuracy stakes when you want them to be certified chronometers (+/- 0.07 seconds per day for quartz, -4/+6 seconds per day for automatics).

People often feel they get more value for money with automatics because of the engineering within. I'd agree and get far more enjoyment out of my autos than my quartz pieces.

TS7

TS7

Soldato
Not at all - you get some automatics that you can buy for a tenner. They'll be pretty unreliable and inaccurate, but you can still buy them. Still more expensive than the cheapest quartz pieces though.

There are quartz watches costing many thousands of pounds, as not all are created equal. They're much more accurate than automatics/manuals, with the COSC certification for autos and quartz showing just how different they are in the accuracy stakes when you want them to be certified chronometers (+/- 0.07 seconds per day for quartz, -4/+6 seconds per day for automatics).

People often feel they get more value for money with automatics because of the engineering within. I'd agree and get far more enjoyment out of my autos than my quartz pieces.

Ahhh - thanks for the explanation! :)

Soldato
My plan for this year is to add a B&R to my little collection however in the interim I wanted something very casual that could be worn with jeans etc so my wife kindly got me a Seiko Turtle for Christmas. Really impressed with it, I think for the price you can't beat the quality of a Seiko JDM.

Turtle.jpg

Caporegime
Any recommendation for strap companies? I am looking for a 22mm stainless steel strap with curved ends to go well with the Samsung Gear S3. :)

I am also tempted by a milanpanese (spelling?) strap, as they look extremely comfortable, but concerned about the strength of the magnet. Anyone have any experience with these? :)

Back
Top Bottom