What watch do you wear?

Soldato
Well if the battery died after 2 years and it's been 2 years since the last time it was replaced, it could be the battery again and someone could be stringing you along.

The symptoms you describe sound like it could have been a dying battery to me. Try to open it up yourself and stick a new battery in if you can, it should be pretty simple to do.

Associate
Well if the battery died after 2 years and it's been 2 years since the last time it was replaced, it could be the battery again and someone could be stringing you along.

The symptoms you describe sound like it could have been a dying battery to me. Try to open it up yourself and stick a new battery in if you can, it should be pretty simple to do.

Because it's a waterproof watch I wouldn't try to do it DIY personally, as I'm sure it needs to be resealed after a battery replacement.

Soldato
That doesn't really matter. If it can be opened up and the battery changed, then at least it can be determined whether or not it needs a new movement.

If it was the battery, then at worst it can be taken to a jeweller or sent to Tissot to properly reseal (which is very easily done DIY). If it's the movement, then well, go from there. At worst all that's been spent on top is the cost of a new battery, at best £100+ has been saved if it doesn't really need a new movement.

To reseal the watch, all that's needed is a new gasket and the appropriate o-ring grease if DIY is an option. Granted, you can't easily test it yourself, but IIRC Timpsons have pressure testing gear in their stores and will do it for a small fee.

Soldato
As raised above, a battery swap is worth a try. Max couple of quid for a battery, and DIY it. Then if that doesn't sort it, I'd go on a watch hunt.

I have spent more than a watch is worth on servicing, but that's only been either because of sentimental value, or because I just very much wanted that exact piece on my wrist. So long as you're aware it's a false economy, it's fine.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Don't think you'll get a matte ceramic bezel like the Pelagos, Tudor won't port USP features to the BB as it will detract sales away from the Pelagos. Just like how the self adjusting clasp features on no other watch in the entire Rolex/Tudor range than the Pelagos.

Associate
That green black bay is super nice. I'm not a fan of the rolex hulk, but that I really really like.

its more like a kermit than a hulk tbh, and the hulk is amazing on the wrist. the cerachrom green bezel and starburst dial make it really pop in certain lights, and are reserved in others. really like it. my next watch for sure.

Associate
Went for a trip up to the Metro Centre today, and did a bit of watch-gazing. First time seeing Tudors in the flesh, they are lovely - smaller than possibly their chunkiness makes them appear in photos.
If I had that sort of money, though, I would probably go for an IWC or Oris, something a bit more all-occasions.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Oris styling is quite marmite really. Most of their models have a bit of a mashup of various styles but there's always something that doesn't quite appeal with each one, whether it's the markers, lug shape or bracelet links or something else, there's always something!

IWC are considerably more expensive though, and also larger in case size for the nicer models on sale.

Personal preferences and all that, of course.

I still want a Black Bay Bronze.... But the moment NOMOS release an Ahoi Atlantik with chrono function, I'm all over it!

Associate
Hi All,

Looking to purchase a nice new watch. Used to wear one all the time but haven't for last few years because on my job and kept cracking the glass.

Not looking to spend an absolute fortune but wanting something that doesn't look cheap. Budget of between £100-150. Unsure of best make etc. Probably looking something black face with either metal or leather strap.

Back
Top Bottom