What watch do you wear?

Associate
20180220_124650.jpg

My pair, really fancy a no date sub next.

I have exactly the same pair, my favourite out of the two is the datejust!

Soldato
I have exactly the same pair, my favourite out of the two is the datejust!
DJ is my favouite too it needs a good service now though as I've worn it as my daily for the past few years!
try a DSSD. the sub is too close to the GMT, whereas the DSSD beast is a really different experience. Or maybe an LV if your intent on getting the Sub :)

also which DJ is that? DJ2? like the jubilee strap.

I've always fancied a no date sub, I bought the BLNR by chance as I got a heads up from my AD they had one arrive and asked if I were interested. My friend has a Deep Blue it's a serious bit of kit but I'm not sure if it's a little too bulky...

The Datejust is a 116200 with engine turned bezel, TBH I prefer it to the DJ2 it's much less in your face, a Milgaus however I'd love!

Soldato
The font looks really strange on that po!

That’s an “old” Liquid Metal limited edition, pretty uncommon they are. what you have there is a standard 2016 model :D

Correct, this was a limited edition model between the 2500 and 8500 planet oceans, it uses the 2500C movement and was the first PO to have Liquid Metal. Limited to 1948 pieces.

Slightly late to the party with this but that is a damn fine watch, certainly don’t see many of them around.

Thanks, I think so too :p

Soldato
Wait for Basel. Whilst nothing suitable may be released, something like expanding the number of models using the updated power reserve movement etc. may be of interest. They could also do diddly-squat though!

Caporegime
I don't buy watches with resale value in mind, I buy them to wear and enjoy. I also don't particularly like Rolex after owning several.
Ditto, although I have never owned one as I really dislike the image that goes with them. Not only do people generally assume you are a tool or show-off thanks to all the people that buy one as a status symbol, but it is a gold digger magnet as well as a big target for any thief that notices it.

Soldato
Ditto, although I have never owned one as I really dislike the image that goes with them. Not only do people generally assume you are a tool or show-off thanks to all the people that buy one as a status symbol, but it is a gold digger magnet as well as a big target for any thief that notices it.

The last Rolex I owned was an Explorer II; 42mm with white dial. I had it all of 3 days and what appeared to be black specks of dust appeared on the dial. I had to send it back to Rolex, which took 8 weeks. I sold it soon after. So much for Rolex quality control. No other watch I have owned has had that sort of issue, and that includes my Seiko's.

Soldato
I personally cannot see the point in owning a Sub and a GMTII, they're too similar. What about something non-Rolex?

I could easily be swayed by a Panerai Luminor of some description. I'm not a massive fan of most of the AP range.

The GMT2 and SubC are very similar, the sub was the watch I grew up wanting and have never had one. The PCLs on the GMT2 are a nightmare though, its pretty battered after a year already :D.

Associate
whilst resale isnt my absolute primary concern, throwing 25% of the value down the drain at best for most other brands get old quick! I just wouldnt buy such expensive pieces if it was likely to lose a load of value on leaving the shop tbh.

I think your pretty safe buying anything sports stainless from rolex. bi-metals and gold seem to be less reliable, but you can actually still get a discount on these.

As for image, most people havent got a clue what you have on your wrist, and those that do, i've generally found their reaction positive tbh. Ive found it opens more doors than closes them tbh. YMMV eh.

Soldato

One of my very own watches!! Apparently worn by Ryan Gosling in the Big Short :D

I have really got in to vintage mechanical and automatic watches.

I used to own two Rotary watches - the Breitling Navitimer homage and the Rolex Submariner homage; but they needed new batteries every year, so I ended up replacing the batteries and the waterproof gasket myself annually and eventually sold them on and didn't lose a great deal of money.

Here is a list of what I currently own:

'00s Citizen Eco-Drive date - owned for 13+ years.

'80s Tissot Seastar day/date automatic - owned for a few years now.

'70s Ricoh 21 jewel day/date shockproof automatic - owned for a few years now, likely a redial, but the mechanism etc. appears original and it was so cheap I had to have it.

'00s Casio G-Shock 2900 - bargain purchased for my recent birthday. Used as a beater watch to save my Citizen Eco-drive from getting scratched up anymore.

I'm looking to add a Seiko SARB017 to my collection next. My Ricoh gets the least wrist time because it is self wind and doesn't have a long charge (12-18 hours I think) and can't be hacked or hand wound, but it's currently my second favourite watch, just wish I could wear it more.

I tend to buy second hand bargains and don't mind too much about box and papers as long as the rest of the watch appears genuine enough. For medium to high end watches by Oris etc. I'll probably only buy with box and papers as they're more likely to be redials or franken-watches.

Current collection (sorry for the poor picture)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vAav4WxiuqBGmTZ6nRWPmnh_uYTKVEla/view

Last edited:

B&W

B&W

Soldato
Don't feel like buying another automatic. 9 year old Seiko five hasn't been working for a few years now. Second hand getting stuck on the minute hand.

Five year old citizen stops ticking and doesn't restart unless it's a full wind then will stop in less than 24 hours.

On the other hand an old GC fashion watch , I just replaced the battery works fine.

Back
Top Bottom