1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What watch do you wear?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Doran, Apr 21, 2008.

1. GhostWKD

Wise Guy

Some of you have some amazing watches from a quick glance through the thread!

Just wondered if someone could advise on a cheap/cheerful strap for me at all? It's for a very cheap watch but one with sentimental value, it's an old Seiko 5 which my dad had in for repair when he passed away but luckily I remembered him mentioning it so it was only by luck I got it back from the shop it was booked in with. It's a far cry from some of the watches here but hoping someone can offer some advice :)

I believe it's a 20mm strap with a black leather Buffalo finish I think it's called.

Went into town in my lunch and only 1 place out of 3 had a suitable strap but wanted £39.99 for it which felt excessive. Is that the going rate or were they trying their luck? Felt the latter but I'm massively out of touch with this stuff.

Edit: A photo incase it helps...

[​IMG]

2. Stringy

Mobster

Try a NATO strap on it, they're easy to swap in/out, comfortable and fairly stylish. Look up ZuluDiver on Amazon.

On the subject of new straps my daily driver is a Tissot T-Touch Classic that I recently swapped to a cheap blue silicone strap from Amazon, much preferring it over leather. Anyone have any recommendations for decent quality Silicone straps that won't break the bank?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  3. Transam

Gangster

I inherited my Dad's Air King Date 18 years ago - it's never been serviced since then and still keeps perfect time!

4. Rikki

Wise Guy

Look on google and ebay for Parnis watches and see how many well known ones you can spot!

5. eviled

Hitman

I’ll still get my watches serviced every 10 years tops keeping time or now, need a drop of oil and clean every now and then

6. savagesam117

Mobster

I'm currently wearing a Daniel Wellington watch, he seems to have got really big all of a sudden?

My girlfriend and I have had ours for a while now. I have also recently purchased one of the new collection with bracelet for her. It looks rather nice!

Getting rid of social media and changing my number means a smart watch is totally useless now.

7. lnoton

Mobster

Agreed. I have a 12 year old rolex submariner, from new.

Using a watch winder and 2 days a week wear and it doesn't lose or gain much time. I don't set it really..maybe every few months.

I check the reserve and it's still 36+ hrs.

Amazing.

8. Richdog

Capodecina

Is that a question or a statement? :confused:

From googling it looks like yet another fashion brand whose logo happens to look at a glance very much like Christopher Wards.

9. Barry Smalley

Wise Guy

Clean it like Rolex tell you how to. :)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
  10. hughtrimble

Mobster

It is, unfortunately. Internals are the same as watches costing a couple of dollars on Alibaba but with the DW logo on they ask over a tonne. Whoever created that brand has done well!

11. hughtrimble

Mobster

Addition to the flock:

[​IMG]

12. Richdog

Capodecina

Is that a photo of your actual watch?

13. Armageus

Don

Nope :)

14. eviled

Hitman

15. Bluecube

Wise Guy

My daily watch is a Seiko Titanium which is about 15 years old. It’s constantly been exposed to all sorts of weather. Had the battery changed a few times but it’s never been serviced. Keeps the time perfectly.

16. hughtrimble

Mobster

I totally get this approach, and agree with it, except for if the watch goes near water. Then the seals need to be tested (which is what he did to ascertain that the seals were still tight!) and that involves a trip to a watchmaker, which he can do for free because he's a watchmaker.

17. Rikki

Wise Guy

A pressure test is not a service though. It's either free from your AD or a token amount. A service involves taking the watch and movement apart :)

18. Rikki

Wise Guy

I am impressed!

Watchmaking seems to be one of the very few industries where the truth is told.

A garage would tell you to service your car every week if they could to make money lol!

19. hughtrimble

Mobster

I'm aware of the differences, hence why I suggested at least having it tested! But I was not aware it could be got for free. My local watchmaker wanted £50 (hence why he's no longer 'my' one!).

20. Richdog

Capodecina

As far as am ware the person who wrote the article doesn't work for Rolex, he is just a knowledgeable guy giving an opinion. Writers/journalists do the same about cars.