What watch do you wear?

Soldato
I've just been talking to my Dad on phone and he said his Rolex (circa 1989) has stopped working. He thinks he may have damaged winding mechanism or something.

Anyway he took it to a shop in Newcastle today and was quoted a pretty hefty price for service /repair. Around 4-500 quid.

I was wondering if anyone knew any good Rolex people who offer a fair price and service.

Thanks.

Soldato
I've just been talking to my Dad on phone and he said his Rolex (circa 1989) has stopped working. He thinks he may have damaged winding mechanism or something.

Anyway he took it to a shop in Newcastle today and was quoted a pretty hefty price for service /repair. Around 4-500 quid.

I was wondering if anyone knew any good Rolex people who offer a fair price and service.

Thanks.

It's a 30 year old watch, I would assume the mainspring has broke. The service quote is about right, I don't see it being any cheaper via an independent or direct with Rolex. If it has not been serviced since 1989, it will most prob need some movement parts replaced.
Send it in to Rolex to get a quote.

Soldato
That's not unusual for an AD service for a three hander. If it isn't an AD, get it in to Rolex for a quote as already suggested.

No point in paying an indie that amount when Rolex will do so for similar (this does not apply to all manufacturers)

Soldato
It's a 30 year old watch, I would assume the mainspring has broke. The service quote is about right, I don't see it being any cheaper via an independent or direct with Rolex. If it has not been serviced since 1989, it will most prob need some movement parts replaced.
Send it in to Rolex to get a quote.

It's been serviced multiple times over the years but I wasn't sure if there was a good alternative. I guess sending it to rolex is best option after all.

Don

Thanks.

message @lakitu on here, he owns a watch servicing company, he's done a few jobs for me and always great work

Soldato
Looking for some opinions and possible options. Getting a bit of a pay rise at work after jumping through some hoops that should open some doors for me so i have decided it's time for something new to take some strain off of my Tissot prs516

currently thinking about this https://www.christopherward.co.uk/watches/dive/c60-trident-acan-cosc-limited-edition2

Im thinking of picking it up with the bracelet and order the blue and orange strap too. anything out there similar worth looking at?

Caporegime
Looking for some opinions and possible options. Getting a bit of a pay rise at work after jumping through some hoops that should open some doors for me so i have decided it's time for something new to take some strain off of my Tissot prs516

currently thinking about this https://www.christopherward.co.uk/watches/dive/c60-trident-acan-cosc-limited-edition2

Im thinking of picking it up with the bracelet and order the blue and orange strap too. anything out there similar worth looking at?
I know this may make me unpopular as so many people have one but Christopher Ward are to me a prime example of an overpriced UK brand with no admirable pedigree or heritage. It is somewhere between a fashion brand and a decent established brand. The newer logo (basically just a written name) is also horrendous and looks cheap.

Save a little more for something quality like an Oris Aquis https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_st_price-asc-rank?keywords=oris+aquis&rh=n:328228011,k:oris+aquis&qid=1542792336&sort=price-asc-rank

Also consider grey market options at Jomashop https://www.jomashop.com/hsearch/#keyword=oris aquis&sort=salepriceasc&mpp=20

Associate
I know this may make me unpopular as so many people have one but Christopher Ward are to me a prime example of an overpriced UK brand with no admirable pedigree or heritage. It is somewhere between a fashion brand and a decent established brand. The newer logo (basically just a written name) is also horrendous and looks cheap.

I think that is a little harsh but I do get your point. That CW is also 43mm so it is heading towards the large side if you have small wrists. Also, the other downside of CW is that you can't haggle a price as it's online only.

I too would also look into Oris, they are a very good, high quality watch for the money.

https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/colle...olour-blue+subcat-divers+bracelet-strap-steel

Associate
I own a couple of CW watches - but I was a very early adopter from when they had the original logo and were much cheaper/better bang for buck (I even have the letters signed by CW himself). They are well made but agree the logo now completely puts me off, really not sure why they felt the need to keep changing it. They are still nicely built watches though. I was also going to suggest the Oris as above...possibly Logines but I also like this Seiko https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/collections/divers-watches/products/seiko-prospex-watch-diver-spb051

Soldato
I'd also agree for the £800-1000 bracket I couldn't justify a CW watch, they really seem to have crept up in price lately.

The Oris and Sinn watches are both good calls, I have a Sinn and a couple of Oris watches, fantastic quality and all still get plenty of wear.

Man of Honour
Couldn't agree more re CW. I was initially quite active on forum and have had about 5 of their watches although most I didn't keep for long. I had one forum special edition I wish I had not sold as it was rather special. Only have a single trident now though my wife has a few more or less as costumer jewellery. They are fine watches and were amazing value in the £200-£300 or so range but at £1000 there are so many options. I find their brand and marketing irritating for the most part now after a great start.

Soldato
I can see peoples points, ive been looking at a few and did take a look at both the sinn and the oris, im not overly sold on the styling of the oris though. I did get quite taken by the Damasko da42 and Fortis B42 cosmonaut.

I currently wear a 41mm and that was on the small side, tried a friends subby at 40mm and its comical on my wrists.

Total budget is most likely the £1500 mark.

Caporegime
I can see peoples points, ive been looking at a few and did take a look at both the sinn and the oris, im not overly sold on the styling of the oris though. I did get quite taken by the Damasko da42 and Fortis B42 cosmonaut.

I currently wear a 41mm and that was on the small side, tried a friends subby at 40mm and its comical on my wrists.

Total budget is most likely the £1500 mark.
Looking at photos only isn't a bulletproof way of watch-shopping. There are more than a few watches I have loved photos of online only to try them on and find they are really thick or funny shapes or just generally not aesthetically pleasing. Conversely there are watches that look "ok" in photos but then fantastic on the wrist.

I suggest you go and try some Oris Aquis models on, because you do not get much better for £1500. :)

Soldato
You could get a second hand blackbay in that budget, if you really look. I picked mine up for 1200 quid on chrono24!

I would also say CW is a waste at their price range now. May as well by a DW (Daniel Wellington) watch, which I despise. Oris is a good shout though, they have a nice history if you look into them.

Associate
the Morgan CW watches look very nice but i am not really keen on the brand. i always thought them as a fashion watch a while back.. but prices indicate they are well above the Hugo Boss and Armani's

Back
Top Bottom