What watch do you wear?

Soldato
19mm is quite thin! I had that on my Seiko 5 and felt 19mm straps just felt too weedy! 20mm is definitely the sweet spot IMO for width and thickness!
I wasn't meaning as an absolute dimension (how thick or thin the straps appear is based on proportions relative to the watch head, lug design and the wrist of the wearer) but rather 19mm is a niche sizing so most people won't have straps to go with it. It does appear to come with a selection, which is good. But I regard anything other than 18, 20, 22 etc. as as heinous as proprietary connectors on electronics! Banish them :D

Soldato
New sapphire, bezel and ceramic bezel coming tomorrow for the skx007. Decided to grab the basic toolset and give it a go myself.

I've also been on the fence about getting a new watch and coincidentally found one on each price range
£450 - steinhart one 39
£650 - Baltic aquascaphe
£800 - CW C60 Trident Pro
£1000 - yema superman heritage

Any other recommendations?

Soldato
New sapphire, bezel and ceramic bezel coming tomorrow for the skx007. Decided to grab the basic toolset and give it a go myself.

I've also been on the fence about getting a new watch and coincidentally found one on each price range
£450 - steinhart one 39
£650 - Baltic aquascaphe
£800 - CW C60 Trident Pro
£1000 - yema superman heritage

Any other recommendations?

I really like a Steinhart, I've got the Ocean One Premium Blue in my collection and for the price point I love it. Easily as well made if not better as the Tags I've owned.

Soldato
I really like a Steinhart, I've got the Ocean One Premium Blue in my collection and for the price point I love it. Easily as well made if not better as the Tags I've owned.
Thanks!
The premium line would put it in the same bracket as the Baltic. However after watching some reviews on the Baltic, the movement doesn't seem that great for the price.

I guess what I'm really looking for is whether each jump in price bracket is worth it.

Soldato
It depends on what you're looking for in the watch? And are you only interested in buying new? These all take a big old hit when resold, so you can take advantage of that and save by buying preowned.
Mainly something which is a step up from the SKX007. I won't rule out 2nd hand but was unable to see the watches mentioned from watchfinder, do you recommend other sites?

Soldato
Mainly something which is a step up from the SKX007. I won't rule out 2nd hand but was unable to see the watches mentioned from watchfinder, do you recommend other sites?

Watchfinder have put their stock in the same position as their prices - at the upper end of the market! No bad thing that you are unlikely to find those brands being sold by them regularly.

I'd suggest shopping around stockists of the watches you're after - bricks and mortar stores - and see what sort of discount they can provide. Discounts would be pretty much guaranteed in person during normal business, it's just harder to do when online. But now online is the only option, so worth a shot.

Christopher Ward even did a 50% off sale in January on lots of their models on their website! That's direct from them as the brand. Therefore I'd be seeing what they can do direct too as well as going to an AD/stockist.

Then you can reevaluate your position and see what your current budget can actually obtain with today's prices, rather than what it appears to be able to obtain going on advertised retail prices. That way you can make a tidy saving on what you're already interested in, or perhaps aim for models you thought were previously unobtainable.

Edit: Also worth noting that the SKX007 is extremely good value for money. I had one for a long time sitting with my Submariner and Speedy Pro until I got a Samurai instead. They're extremely reliable, solid and enjoyable watches.

Associate
Thanks!
The premium line would put it in the same bracket as the Baltic. However after watching some reviews on the Baltic, the movement doesn't seem that great for the price.

I guess what I'm really looking for is whether each jump in price bracket is worth it.

Id say none of those watches listed there really are much differentiated in perceived or actual quality. Id say everything sub 1.5k is pretty much all the same derivative designs and average machining. The Seiko you already have punches above its weight.

Theres a world of difference between these and a second hand omega. go look at a tudor pelagos next to one of those, and you can literally see the difference in quality. Taken a look at Sinn? (probably priced inbetween those youve listed and tudor).

I guess what im saying, funds allowing etc etc, is that having had lots of watches; id ended up spending so much on crap which wasnt worth it when i could have saved a bit more and gone for a proper 'brand'. YMMV etc etc.

Associate
it's my brother's 40th next month, so i was toying with the idea of a birth-year watch, but due to furlough etc. I think I can only go up to £300-400. Is there anything anyone can recommend, or sites to look at? Watchfinder is a little too rich for my wallet atm with the cheapest being £4k. There's some Omega De Ville's on eBay, but I'm unsure if it's a decent model or whether it would be genuine. Realistically, am I unlikely to find anything interesting/nice (and working) without upping the budget?

(also, searching for 1980 watch seems to being anything from 1980-89, which makes it a little more tricky to narrow down to that year.)

Associate
it's my brother's 40th next month, so i was toying with the idea of a birth-year watch, but due to furlough etc. I think I can only go up to £300-400. Is there anything anyone can recommend, or sites to look at? Watchfinder is a little too rich for my wallet atm with the cheapest being £4k. There's some Omega De Ville's on eBay, but I'm unsure if it's a decent model or whether it would be genuine. Realistically, am I unlikely to find anything interesting/nice (and working) without upping the budget?

(also, searching for 1980 watch seems to being anything from 1980-89, which makes it a little more tricky to narrow down to that year.)

tried chrono24? they have a year filter.

Soldato
Id say none of those watches listed there really are much differentiated in perceived or actual quality. Id say everything sub 1.5k is pretty much all the same derivative designs and average machining. The Seiko you already have punches above its weight.

Theres a world of difference between these and a second hand omega. go look at a tudor pelagos next to one of those, and you can literally see the difference in quality. Taken a look at Sinn? (probably priced inbetween those youve listed and tudor).

I guess what im saying, funds allowing etc etc, is that having had lots of watches; id ended up spending so much on crap which wasnt worth it when i could have saved a bit more and gone for a proper 'brand'. YMMV etc etc.
Thanks. My holy grail is an omega seamaster but I thought I can get a stop gap of some sort while saving up for that. From your response I'd be better off just saving up longer.

Associate
Can anyone recommend me a service centre for my Seiko SARB033? It ran really accurately for a year or so, then I noticed a drop to minutes slow per day.
It was purchased via Ebay (seller in Ireland, I think) so I don't think I've got any recourse with Seiko themselves.

Soldato
Can anyone recommend me a service centre for my Seiko SARB033? It ran really accurately for a year or so, then I noticed a drop to minutes slow per day.
It was purchased via Ebay (seller in Ireland, I think) so I don't think I've got any recourse with Seiko themselves.

You can go to Seiko, but I'd recommend going to Paul at Tempus Watch Mods (no affiliation)

https://www.tempusmods.co.uk/

Soldato

For that budget and occasion consider something like a Montblanc Meisterstück Classique rollerball / ballpoint pen. Usually a 12-15% off voucher at goldsmiths too so come in around the £270—£300 mark.

It's a tough budget for a 40th, too high for the quality normal watches (Seiko, Orient etc), not high enough for the entry prestige/luxury brands given you are considering omega etc.

If you deffo want to go with a watch then a tissot or hamilton sit at the price point and they are probably the best of the commonly appreciated and recognised swiss brands.

Depending on taste then this automatic tissot is a good price at £260 atm https://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/Tissot-Automatics-III-Date-39mm-Mens-Watch-T0654071105100/p/17361021/

You will also find the automatic hamilton jazzmasters at the top end of your budget with some discount codes.

For the luxury brands like omega etc quality replicas run into your budget so if you see them at that price there are good chances of being fake and / or remote of being genuine but trashed with a service/refurb in the £400-£800+ mark.

If your brother appreciates Orient watches then there are a couple of orient stars in budget that are interesting like https://www.creationwatches.com/pro...automatic-power-reserve-mens-watch-16888.html.

You may find a longines conquest vhp or hydroconquest (quartz) new for c£500-£600 still but prices for these have gone up a fair chunk over the last couple of years. Also, given covid and timing you are probably limited to uk dealers with stock rather than eu importers etc but you never know.

Last edited:
Associate
For that budget and occasion consider something like a Montblanc Meisterstück Classique rollerball / ballpoint pen. Usually a 12-15% off voucher at goldsmiths too so come in around the £270—£300 mark.

It's a tough budget for a 40th, too high for the quality normal watches (Seiko, Orient etc), not high enough for the entry prestige brands.

If you deffo want to go with a watch then a tissot or hamilton sit at the price point and they are probably the best of the commonly appreciated and recognised swiss brands.

Depending on taste then this automatic tissot is a good price at £260 atm https://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/Tissot-Automatics-III-Date-39mm-Mens-Watch-T0654071105100/p/17361021/

You will also find the automatic hamilton jazzmasters at the top end of your budget with some discount codes.

For the luxury brands like omega etc quality replicas run into your budget so if you see them at that price there are good chances of being fake and / or remote of being genuine but trashed with a service/refurb in the £400-£800+ mark.

If your brother appreciates Orient watches then there are a couple of orient stars in budget that are interesting like https://www.creationwatches.com/pro...automatic-power-reserve-mens-watch-16888.html.
cheers for the reply and thought - my primary concern was finding something from 1980 (for his birth year) opposed to a new watch. Yeah, in the past I've got him a SKX007 in the past and I've got our dad a Hamilton (think it was even a Jazzmaster) too - so aware of new watches in this price range.

regarding 40 year old watches, I've spotted a couple Omega De Ville on eBay and for a smidge more there's https://www.chrono24.co.uk/omega/seamaster-vintage-quartz--id14216787.htm

I'm just wondering if there's other semi-respected brands that could have something affordable and 40 years old (and working).

Soldato
cheers for the reply and thought - my primary concern was finding something from 1980 (for his birth year) opposed to a new watch. Yeah, in the past I've got him a SKX007 in the past and I've got our dad a Hamilton (think it was even a Jazzmaster) too - so aware of new watches in this price range.

regarding 40 year old watches, I've spotted a couple Omega De Ville on eBay and for a smidge more there's https://www.chrono24.co.uk/omega/seamaster-vintage-quartz--id14216787.htm

I'm just wondering if there's other semi-respected brands that could have something affordable and 40 years old (and working).

I'd steered clear from the 1980 vintage due to your budget. Getting a worthwhile watch of vintage within your budget or even close to it and with provenance proving it is wholly genuine, actually from 1980 and not in need of servicing etc was a big if not impossible ask.

That omega you linked to only approximates to 1980 too.

Back
Top Bottom