What watch do you wear?

Caporegime
As much as I do love watches I am also very happy that I have now just bought a couple of watches I love and stopped lusting after others. There is a ton of hype and compulsion in the watch enthusiast industry just as within any other and in the end I got a little tired of watching channels like Watchfinder proclaiming that they had found the next holy grail of watchmaking every week etc etc. When you watch too much of these videos then you just recognise the same old patterns and BS of any kind of influencers. I do like the fact they keep interest buzzing, but after a while I just found it annoying.

I am now in a nice and comfortable routine of alternating between my Rolex Oyster 39mm which is the ultimate daily driver for any social occasion, my Tudor Pelagos blue which for me is the ideal rugged activity tool watch that makes me smile and think of blue sky and oceans whenever I look at it, and my Garmin Fenix 6S that throughout the lockdown has been glued to my wrist as a health monitor. At this particular point in my life I need nothing more. :)

Man of Honour
Aside from a few forum threads herea Nd there, my experience has been a wholesome one with the watch community. Just people with a mutual love for cool watches in their own right.

For me I've now had the more expensive watches and enjoyed them, then fancied something a little different hence the Marloe and no Spinnaker. I find the appeal of a less common and limited run (500-1000 pieces) good quality watch quite cool and they're inexpensive too which is a bonus.

And that's what I've grown to love about micro brands, always trying something different or bringing back a vintage style with a modern vibe without asking for mid 4 figures so more people can enjoy them.

Soldato
I normally wear my cheaper watches while I'm at work, I work in and around large machines with lots of exposed metal, I worry about scratches.

But now I'm furloughed my Tudor BB58 hasn't left my wrist, my Milgauss did get 1 day on the wrist though.

Soldato
Do any of you guys have antique or vintage watches? I would like something with that timeless sophistication but, aside from Hamilton, I don't know the brands. Can anyone recommend a couple of British brands that have been going for years that I can delve into? Many thanks.

Man of Honour
Just watched Spinnaker's Instagram video showing the new all Titanium diver. With the Tudor Pelagos the only gripe I had was that the clasp and case back were stainless steel so were slightly off shade from the Titanium case and links. The tooliest of tool watches if there ever was one?

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CAsEIiZnt98/?igshid=1v7b2simbdthi

This is £495 too and uses the newer X1 Superluminova and there's a lumed dial version too. A 40mm version is in development talks so once that's out I'm gonna get it as the 42 does look quite big!

Soldato
Just watched Spinnaker's Instagram video showing the new all Titanium diver. With the Tudor Pelagos the only gripe I had was that the clasp and case back were stainless steel so were slightly off shade from the Titanium case and links. The tooliest of tool watches if there ever was one?
Beaten to it by Seiko with their original Samurai in titanium over a decade ago.

I have a thing for titanium watches...heck titanium almost anything (except cookware as it's rubbish at heat distribution compared to other materials).

20200213-104328.jpg

Associate
it arrived :)

Looks really nice, considering one now as I ended up cancelling the pre-order of the Seiko SPB149J1 as Seiko service confirmed to me its a coated stainless steel bezel rather than ceramic. I prefer ceramic so don’t want to compromise when its like £1200.

Associate
Do any of you guys have antique or vintage watches? I would like something with that timeless sophistication but, aside from Hamilton, I don't know the brands. Can anyone recommend a couple of British brands that have been going for years that I can delve into? Many thanks.

Check Bulova. I've discovered them a while back and there quite a lot of them, most of them of absolutely excellent taste. The obvious "Spaceview" commands quite a price (worth it, IMO!) but some of the others that haven't been converted are splendid as well. I got 3, and apart from being a bit 'small' for these days an age, they are stunners for watches made between 1964-1969.

My 1964 Spaceview, 18k gold (about £800):
YzZQI0i.jpg
1969 dress watch (about £150):
6tZp2IP.jpg

Soldato
Check Bulova. I've discovered them a while back and there quite a lot of them, most of them of absolutely excellent taste. The obvious "Spaceview" commands quite a price (worth it, IMO!) but some of the others that haven't been converted are splendid as well. I got 3, and apart from being a bit 'small' for these days an age, they are stunners for watches made between 1964-1969.

Great, thank you - I will check them out!

Man of Honour
Spinnaker arrived today, it went from France to Spain then onwards to the UK, DHL at their finest lol :cool:

Spinnaker_Bradner_boxed.jpg

Spinnaker_Bradner_Lume-vs-Morar.jpg

Spinnaker_Bradner_frontback.gif

The quality of the case finishing and feel is excellent, feels like one solid block of stainless steel and easily up there with something like Hamilton etc. The sunburst dial just looks so classy in the flesh, and the blue AR glimmering in the light suits the colourways.

The lume is thick, bright and very green, but the Marloe has more wow factor with lume I think. IT is brighter and seems to last longer than any Seiko diver I have seen yet.

Just waiting for the Barton navy blue + olive silicone elite straps to arrive before wearing properly. The leather strap is very thick and quite soft, but I don't like leather straps.

Associate
Spinnaker arrived today, it went from France to Spain then onwards to the UK, DHL at their finest lol :cool:

Spinnaker_Bradner_boxed.jpg

Spinnaker_Bradner_Lume-vs-Morar.jpg

Spinnaker_Bradner_frontback.gif

The quality of the case finishing and feel is excellent, feels like one solid block of stainless steel and easily up there with something like Hamilton etc. The sunburst dial just looks so classy in the flesh, and the blue AR glimmering in the light suits the colourways.

The lume is thick, bright and very green, but the Marloe has more wow factor with lume I think. IT is brighter and seems to last longer than any Seiko diver I have seen yet.

Just waiting for the Barton navy blue + olive silicone elite straps to arrive before wearing properly. The leather strap is very thick and quite soft, but I don't like leather straps.

For the money are they very impressive!

Very Alpinist/Polaris too which is nice.

Back
Top Bottom