What watch do you wear?

Man of Honour
I wear my Speedmaster for several reasons: [1] It really is a utility watch, [2] I was born during the moon walk and it is known as the moon watch due to being worn by some Apollo astronauts, [3] Because of its connection to the moon waalk it symbolises what each of us can achieve if we strive to overcome difficulties, [4] What is engraved on the back of mine are the words I texted to my friends and family when each of my children were born (it's a special edition for the moon walk rather than the usual moon landing). It's my watch and apart from my fathers watch (which is nothing special but has sentimental value) I can't see me wearing another. Even if I were to become a multi-millionaire I would still wear this watch.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yeah, I'm definitely sentimental about watches (and just in general). My memovox was a gift from my dad and I wear it when I travel and use the alarm which is a very nice way to wake up. I love the fact that joe public and people I have meetings with don't know what it is and wouldn't notice it (could never go Rolex for that reason). I also have my grandfather's watch and great grandfather's pocket watch that are hurgely sentimental. Also Tag that was my 18th is very sentimental. Would never sell any of them.

Most of my other watches I either built or are from micro brands.

Soldato
I wear my Speedmaster for several reasons: [1] It really is a utility watch, [2] I was born during the moon walk and it is known as the moon watch due to being worn by some Apollo astronauts, [3] Because of its connection to the moon waalk it symbolises what each of us can achieve if we strive to overcome difficulties, [4] What is engraved on the back of mine are the words I texted to my friends and family when each of my children were born (it's a special edition for the moon walk rather than the usual moon landing). It's my watch and apart from my fathers watch (which is nothing special but has sentimental value) I can't see me wearing another. Even if I were to become a multi-millionaire I would still wear this watch.
I regret having flogged my Speedy Pro. It was such a strap guzzler too - it looked good on absolutely everything I tried it on.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Nothing is wrong with hardlex, I've never managed to scratch a crystal and mineral glass is more shatter resistant. The 'new' 5 is just an update of the old bezel-less models they've had on their catalogue for years.

Nothing wrong with it but for the price sapphire with AR is not unreasonable to expect given these are every day watches and since smaller brands can do it so why can't Seiko. The glimmer from AR also looks great which personally I value.

Soldato
Nothing wrong with it but for the price sapphire with AR is not unreasonable to expect given these are every day watches and since smaller brands can do it so why can't Seiko. The glimmer from AR also looks great which personally I value.
Personal preference for the distortion of non sapphire, the ability to easily repair any scratches (though they are thus easier to acquire!) and I can't stand AR coatings on the outside of crystals as they mark so ludicrously easily.

I'm very tempted to find a distortiony crystal for my Submariner, nice blend of retro with the otherwise very standard 5 digit look.

Can AR coatings only be applied to sapphire or can it go on any other crystal?

Caporegime

Hardlex is 8 on the mohs hardness scale, sapphire 9. It's not a big deal.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Whilst this is true, the price just doesn't marry up with competition when the competition are using Sapphire. That's my point really. Why use the cheaper crystal yet charge the same (or more).

I do however like the new SRPE69, and at 40mm the new 5s are really nicely sized. Sadly at over £300 they're way too expensive for what is on offer from a 40 hour power reserve and no USP to justify the price tag.

Seiko_SRPE69.jpg

If I see one around the £200 mark maybe I'll get one though.

Personal preference for the distortion of non sapphire, the ability to easily repair any scratches (though they are thus easier to acquire!) and I can't stand AR coatings on the outside of crystals as they mark so ludicrously easily.

I'm very tempted to find a distortiony crystal for my Submariner, nice blend of retro with the otherwise very standard 5 digit look.

Can AR coatings only be applied to sapphire or can it go on any other crystal?

I'm not sure if AR coatings work the same on other types of crystal but I've only seen it on sapphire so maybe there's something there?

Either way, I've had/got watches with both AR on underside and on top. The NOMOS Ahoi Atlantik had the most obvious AR of all watches I have seen and because of it's domed crystal and deep sea blue matte dial, any water marks even from rain showed up instantly when looking at the dial. The Marloe has blue tinted underside AR coating which has no such issue. The Tudor Pelagos had clear AR coating on the underside which was great but I missed the blue tinge when the crystal moves around under a light source.

The Spinnaker though has top layered AR coating and its blue tinge is similar to the NOMOS, however it's not easy to spot any water marks etc on this due to the shape of the crystal and the sunburst dial and activity going on below the crystal. So all you see is the blue tinge as the light plays on it which I like quite a lot. It's slightly domed/bevelled at the edge too so you get a cool distortion as your eyes follow from the centre out toward the internal bezel.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Going to hold off on the Maen for a while as just had an email about Echo/Neutra's new watch going up for sale in a very small number on the 16th and I love the design. Same STP1-11 movement and 40mm size so right up my street. I think I will order the 3 hand version but cannot decide between the 3 colour colourways! Only downside is shipping won't start until October.....

GHItYM5.jpg fxhI1kb.jpg mcY0RAQ.jpg

https://echoneutra.com/cortina-1956-3-hands/?mc_cid=e7152fe06e&mc_eid=5ba84822ac

Help me decide!

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
The B&R is very nice but not £2200 nice IMO!! :o

I just realised also that the Echo whilst open to order in on Tuesday, won't ship until late October. That's a no go for me as I want something sooner! It's gonna have to be a pass from me on this sadly and instead I've gone and ordered another Marloe, the hand-winding Coniston Speed Edition. Should ship tomorrow!

Had not seen this before but Marloe uploaded a 4 [art short video series showing the process they went through for the Coniston:

I also had an email this week from one of their guys, in exchange for a free bronze buckle for one of my custom straps they just wanted to know where I got the C&B Chevron one piece as they really liked the look after seeing photos on my Instagram and are exploring strap bundles with their watches. Think I mentioned this before but this is why I'm happy to support smaller and/or local brands. You get a personal service and the the overall experience is a very positive one.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Noticed the Echo above has the option of Sapphire with AR coating but by default the Mineral crystal has AR coating applied as well. That's the first one I've seen on paper that has it though. It's an extra €60 for sapphire!

Soldato
The B&R is very nice but not £2200 nice IMO!! :o
Same, as much as I like the look of the B&R (and the br05 for that matter), I wouldn't pay that price for it... I feel it's about £500-1000 too much.

That 'delay' between purchase and delivery puts me off too, actually had a look round echoneutra and they had the chronograph that was 'almost' what I was looking for (want a 2 dial chrono at some point) but they had to ruin it with the delay and that stupid red badge at 6 o'clock....

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Same, as much as I like the look of the B&R (and the br05 for that matter), I wouldn't pay that price for it... I feel it's about £500-1000 too much.

That 'delay' between purchase and delivery puts me off too, actually had a look round echoneutra and they had the chronograph that was 'almost' what I was looking for (want a 2 dial chrono at some point) but they had to ruin it with the delay and that stupid red badge at 6 o'clock....

I#m sure it will be worth the way but I just don't want to pay full whack as opposed to say a small deposit then pay the rest upon ready to ship. I might come across something even better in those months of waiting!

How do you come across these microbrands @mrk ?

A combination of Instagram and YouTube. Insta seems to have sorted out my discovery section and often shows cool looking watches as it knows what I look at most on there now haha. Youtube as I follow a bunch of watch reviewers who mention their top 5/10 etc from time to time and a number of micros feature. Habring2 are a husband and wife watchmaker duo in Austria who hand make their own movements and watches for around £6000. The guy worked at IWC and came up with one of their complications back in the day which he's now incorporating a revision of in his watches. I'd love the salmon dial one featured here one day:

A hand made watch with custom movement and amazing attention to detail for £6k? That's a step above any of the major brands in my books.

Last edited:
Soldato
I like Habring2 but they aren't making movements entirely in house. They are relying on other manufacturers and their design is still based on existing complications. Whilst it represents excellent value, I'd sooner be happy with an ETA based watch

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Speaking of ETA, it's been interesting reading about the "clone" movements that have come out from all corners of the planet since the ETA 2824 license expired and other makers could 1:1 copy it whilst at the same time some like STP have even added more jewels in the process. A number of micro brands are using these now at great prices. Going by reviews and feedback online, they're all just as accurate and noteworthy as the original 2824. More competition is always great for us as consumers, we now have more than just Miyota, Sellita and Seiko making workhorse movements used by smaller brands.

Personally I don't care for who does the movement as long as it's regulated by the watch brand to achieve a solid accuracy rate. It's the watch as a whole and what it stands for that's more important. I like watching or reading all about its creation and why certain things were chosen or what it is in honour of (historical event, figure etc). I think that's why I like companies like Marloe so much. Their designs are their USP, and they share a lot of information online so you can read all about what and why they do xyz. But then there are brands like Traska who don't really has a story to tell, but instead improve the watch itself ocmpared to the competition whilst still retaining a competitive price. The Summiteer model is 316L steel, but whilst most other watches are between 200 and 500HV on the hardness scale, Traska apply a coating that makes the exterior 1200HV and there are comparison videos on youtube people have done showing the difference. Improvements like that actually make a huge difference in a watch worn regularly.

Back
Top Bottom