What watch do you wear?

Soldato
I was referring more towards the charging of £300 for a £100 watch, rather than the re-branding.
It could be worse, go check out Daniel Wellington watches. Take a generic £8 Chinese watch, add the letters DW [backwards D for a touch of style :p]and suddenly you can sell it to the Insta crowd for a couple of hundred :rolleyes: Spend the profits on further social media marketing and repeat the above.

Caporegime
Aaah, that's a shame. How is that even legal?

EDIT: Having read up, seems it's common practise. Which begs the question, how come some retailers (goldsmiths) are charging £300.

What do you mean how is it legal? If you're willing to pay for a brand name then what's the issue?

Take a look at the fashion industry in general - look at the cost of say a polo shirt vs a polo shirt with a logo on it etc..

It isn't just fashion watches either - you can pay say a grand for a basic quartz watch like the TAG F1 and then have the benefit of paying nearly 300 every 2-3 years or so for a service if you choose to send it for a battery change instead of going to your local jeweller/independent shop etc...

Soldato
I've had my eye on this ever since Omega launched it in 2016 and today I got one.

Planet Ocean 600M GMT, Deep Black in red on a rubber strap. The addition of red represents the first colour that is no longer visible at a depth of approximately 5 m.

Details
- A Co-Axial escapement, Certified Master Chronometer calibre 8906 that is resistant to magnetic fields
- 24 hours GMT
- A ceramic black case body
- A rubber and Liquidmetal™ diving scale
- 18K White Gold hands and indexes
- A black rubber strap with red stitching
I really want a new PO deep black chrono but I am too clumsy for ceramic cases.

Associate
d1fvYnJ.jpg
Going left to right:
  • Breitling SuperOcean 44 special
  • Montblanc Timewalker
  • Omega Seamaster Diver (Co-Axial Chronograph 44mm)
  • TAG Heuer Indy 500
  • Apple Watch series 3
Tempted to get a Bremont next but not really had time to look at their range.

Associate
For me a watch is functional and although I appreciate the beauty and engineering behind a proper mechanical, I cannot justify the expense to myself. I got myself a Citizen Eco-Drive in classic silver and a black leather strap. It has a perpetual calendar so I never need to adjust the date for 100 years, and it recharges using sunlight so I never need to get a new battery.

** Do not hotlink images **

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Needs a dress watch. Something like an IWC would be a great addition.
Maybe next year, I'm off on holiday in a few months so international waters usually allow a bit of a discount, I got the Omega that way earlier this year.

The Tag was a 21st birthday present, the Apple I bought last year to see what it was like, the Montblanc was a few months ago and the Breitling earlier this month, so I'm watched out this year!

Associate
It could be worse, go check out Daniel Wellington watches. Take a generic £8 Chinese watch, add the letters DW [backwards D for a touch of style :p]and suddenly you can sell it to the Insta crowd for a couple of hundred :rolleyes: Spend the profits on further social media marketing and repeat the above.
My BIL did this. Wafting it around like a Rolex Daytona. Please.....

Associate
d1fvYnJ.jpg
Going left to right:
  • Breitling SuperOcean 44 special
  • Montblanc Timewalker
  • Omega Seamaster Diver (Co-Axial Chronograph 44mm)
  • TAG Heuer Indy 500
  • Apple Watch series 3
Tempted to get a Bremont next but not really had time to look at their range.

The Bremonts are actually pretty good, I dont own one but have a fair bit of experience with the brand - did a podcast with one of the founders too ( http://www.scottishwatches.co.uk/20...mont-watch-chat-with-co-founder-nick-english/ ) only thing is they are on the pricey side compared to what you get from Tudor / Omega but cant knock them for pushing forward.

Back
Top Bottom