What watch do you wear?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Like the lume on that Tag just not a fan of that bezel design sadly!

I've cancelled the MAen Hudson order in favour of the recent release of the steel GMT bezel Baltic Aquascaphe. It's in stock so should be here middle of the week from France!

very much so, still would like a Pelagos.

New or original version? I still think the original was much nicer with fewer lines of text cluttering up the dial. The newer movement in the later one is nice and all, but it has to go to Tudor for servicing whereas the ETA in the original can be serviced by any half decent watchmaker for a quarter of the cost. Mine also kept +1s a day. Wish I never sold it really but at 42mm and a thick slab of Titanium, it was slightly too big for my evolving taste sadly. The originals are now going for £3000+ too when they were between £2600 and £2800 around release. A watch that will only continue to go up in price as a collector's for sure I'd say.

On a related note my mate with the BB58 still has not had it back from Rolex yet. They are servicing it after movement repair. Seems they know there are issues with these movements as a considerable number of people online have had issues with timekeeping and others strange issues. His had the grinding noise when winding and running slower than COSC spec.

Soldato
Like the lume on that Tag just not a fan of that bezel design sadly!

I've cancelled the MAen Hudson order in favour of the recent release of the steel GMT bezel Baltic Aquascaphe. It's in stock so should be here middle of the week from France!

New or original version? I still think the original was much nicer with fewer lines of text cluttering up the dial. The newer movement in the later one is nice and all, but it has to go to Tudor for servicing whereas the ETA in the original can be serviced by any half decent watchmaker for a quarter of the cost. Mine also kept +1s a day. Wish I never sold it really but at 42mm and a thick slab of Titanium, it was slightly too big for my evolving taste sadly. The originals are now going for £3000+ too when they were between £2600 and £2800 around release. A watch that will only continue to go up in price as a collector's for sure I'd say.

On a related note my mate with the BB58 still has not had it back from Rolex yet. They are servicing it after movement repair. Seems they know there are issues with these movements as a considerable number of people online have had issues with timekeeping and others strange issues. His had the grinding noise when winding and running slower than COSC spec.

Original Pelagos, I prefer my original BB too.

Not bothered if watches go back to Tudor, they did a great job repairing my wife's Tudor.

I was looking at a used Pelagos back in the summer from my AD for circa £2600

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Thoughts on best Nato strap for a Omega Seamaster (blue face) - appears to be a million options between £15 and £150!

The watch is a 2015 if that makes a difference

Ta

Some will say buy the Omega one but it's also £££, whilst others will say just buy a good quality NATO from say Watchgecko, Crown & Buckle, RSM Watchstraps etc. If you want the buckle and keeper hardware to be substantial in quality and heft then the Zuludiver NATOs offer just that and will look OEM against a similarly finished watch. I chose the Sennen nato above for this reason from Watchgecko.

Soldato
Some will say buy the Omega one but it's also £££, whilst others will say just buy a good quality NATO from say Watchgecko, Crown & Buckle, RSM Watchstraps etc. If you want the buckle and keeper hardware to be substantial in quality and heft then the Zuludiver NATOs offer just that and will look OEM against a similarly finished watch. I chose the Sennen nato above for this reason from Watchgecko.
Brilliant - the Sennen looks like its worth a go at £18 - thanks!

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
No prob. One thing I hate about NATO straps is the flying tab piece that is fixed to the bottom and basically adds discomfort and double the thickness under the watch case raising it a good few mm higher off the wrist. So what I do with those is simply cut it off then singe the end remaining on the strap to close it off and stop any fraying. Essentially turning it into a single piece NATO instead of a Y piece. You still retain all the benefits of a NATO and as it's a thick canvas anyway, the watch isn't going to slide off the strap if you just so happen to dangle it by the buckle when not wearing it so any security from the cut off piece that is lost when unworn is a total non issue in my books.

Here's how my fabric NATOs look after the modification:

20201004_171047.jpg

I also want to get a Perlon strap so will likely order a Zuliudiver one soon once the watch is here. They are a tenner more though!

Soldato
This is pretty special - Speedmaster “Silver Snoopy Award” 50th Anniversary. A bargain at £8250, if you can get one.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
box_01.jpg

box_02.jpg

unboxed_02.jpg

Aquascaphe SB01 arrived today. Have to say it's rather immense quality for both presentation and fit and finish. The brushed case and bezel are finely detailed with no rough finishing that I can see. The watch feels heftier than the Marloe Morar, and the Morar sat a bit taller.

Baltic adjust each watch to 4 positions and mine came with a little report stating +5s a day. I will see how this settles over time but the same movement in the Morar was the same accuracy too so this is good and way beyond the Miyota paper specs which state something comical like -10 to +3-s a day lol.

Things I really like:

- Quick release springbars on the beads of rice bracelet
- Drilled lugs
- Tropic strap is natural rubber with a light fragrance about it
- I asked for a spare buckle for my other straps and they chucked one in. I forgot to realise all my straps taper to 18mm from 20 whereas the Baltic buckle tapers from 20 to 16. Oops!
- The bezel action is really nice, it's got a nice ratchet sound and there's no backplay, only the slight spring action of the ratchet shifting it right back into the position you leave it
- Love the way light plays off the brushed finishing and boxed sapphire. The boxed makes it slightly more awkward to read under strong lighting but nothing major. It's very hard to photograph however!
- Springbar tool bundled free
- Bracelet does not feel cheap. It was a £90 optional extra however. The links are secured with screws and there's plenty of room for adjustment on both links and clasp but the screws will need a screwdriver head that is under 1.2mm!

The lume is nice, it's BGW9 but not as heavily layered as the Marloe Morar. I doubt I will ever have another watch with lume as bright as that. Not even Tudor could best it with the Pelagos...

I might look at a vintage leather strap too as should look really nice. Got a feeling this watch is going to be a strap monster. Word of warning though, there isn't enough clearence for rubber NATOs to fit through the gap between case and springbars. A canvas NATO is about as thick as will fit comfortably. You could squeeze a rubber NATO in there like an FKM from Zuludiver, but it's a tight squeeze.

Anyway, I am very impressed. Certainly not the quality typically expected of a micro brand.

side_crown.jpg

bor_quickrelease.jpg

caseback.jpg

NATO_sennen.jpg

dial_with-other-straps.jpg

crystal_box.jpg

tropic.jpg

regulation.jpg

Back
Top Bottom