What watch do you wear?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Aquascaphe Bronze arrived today :cool:

Need to wait a few days for the oxidation to form a nice layer. I might buy a Joseph Bonnie tropic in blue as I'm so used to the softness of them now that any other tropic, even Baltic's soft rubber, just doesn't feel as soft. Initial thoughts are the seconds hand at first was a bit odd as it's white, but strangely I am not minding it. Fit and finish is on par with the SB01 Aquascaphe I have, very nice. The addition of crown guards removes the vintage appeal the SB01 has but adds a more tool watch aesthetic I think.

Sadly there is an issue though, the bezel markers on the lower half are not spaced correctly so from 15 to 30 it looks a little off centre from their relative dial markers by a few mm. I have emailed Baltic and asked if they can just sent a correctly engraved bezel and I can swap it out as opposed to sending the whole watch back etc.

Edit*
Baltic have said they will sort the issue, I just need to follow the repair/service process and get it sent back. They don't send just the bezel out. Ah well it was a nice <24 hours lol.

watchboxed.jpg

crown-side.jpg

bezel-engraving.jpg

caseback.jpg

buckle.jpg

vs_SB01.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Been mulling over getting a really nice Swiss made automatic for a while now. I'd love an omega speedmaster, but the 4k+ price tag is beyond what I'm prepared to pay. Been looking at the Oris artix Gt chronograph, possibly a second hand one. What's the opinion on these?

Last edited:
Soldato
Been mulling over getting a really nice Swiss made automatic for a while now. I'd love an omega speedmaster, but the 4k+ price tag is beyond what I'm prepared to pay. Been looking at the Oris artix Gt chronograph, possibly a second hand one. What's the opinion on these?
Like this?

oL40Ejk.jpg

oQNb2TF.jpg

** comment removed **

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Aquascaphe Bronze arrived today :cool:

Need to wait a few days for the oxidation to form a nice layer. I might buy a Joseph Bonnie tropic in blue as I'm so used to the softness of them now that any other tropic, even Baltic's soft rubber, just doesn't feel as soft. Initial thoughts are the seconds hand at first was a bit odd as it's white, but strangely I am not minding it. Fit and finish is on par with the SB01 Aquascaphe I have, very nice. The addition of crown guards removes the vintage appeal the SB01 has but adds a more tool watch aesthetic I think.

Sadly there is an issue though, the bezel markers on the lower half are not spaced correctly so from 15 to 30 it looks a little off centre from their relative dial markers by a few mm. I have emailed Baltic and asked if they can just sent a correctly engraved bezel and I can swap it out as opposed to sending the whole watch back etc.

Edit*
Baltic have said they will sort the issue, I just need to follow the repair/service process and get it sent back. They don't send just the bezel out. Ah well it was a nice <24 hours lol.

watchboxed.jpg

crown-side.jpg

bezel-engraving.jpg

caseback.jpg

buckle.jpg

vs_SB01.jpg
That's a really lovely dial and case combination.

Very strange bezel issue though - hopefully just a one-off slip in the milling machine rather than a big batch issue! It's the kind of thing that I can imagine not being noticed as it's so obvious it is hidden.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Yeah it would have gone unnoticed for a few a while normally but past experience with other watches that had similar issues has turned me into always checking the little details like this now. I noticed it immediately out of the box (must add that Baltic's box is rather splendid, appears to be soft real leather with real suede all padded inside and smells like the real stuff too) as I'm used to the distortion off the double domed crystal from having had the other Aquascaphe for some time now.

It is what it is, they have sent DHL labels so I just need book a collection day. I have ordered the blue Joseph Bonnie natural tropic to cheer myself up so both Aquascaphes have the same strap in different colours. I am going to swap the straps over for a bit and see what an olive colour tropic looks like on a bronze diver, a combo I have yet to see anywhere online yet.

Soldato
I ordered a khaki field after a deal came up for it, on a whim. Been a long time since I've bought a new watch, but do not have a field watch in my collection and the versatility of it with straps looks very fun.

However, I had second thoughts after the weekend and tried to cancel it. As not sure it's going to sit well on my wrist, it being 38mm is on the small side for my wrist. Also a little concerned that it's only rated to 50m. I don't swim and the most it'll likely see is rain, but do find it very strange that a field watch isn't certified to at least 100m.

But.. it's already shipped! So I guess I'll see how I like it.

Soldato
I ordered a khaki field after a deal came up for it, on a whim. Been a long time since I've bought a new watch, but do not have a field watch in my collection and the versatility of it with straps looks very fun.

However, I had second thoughts after the weekend and tried to cancel it. As not sure it's going to sit well on my wrist, it being 38mm is on the small side for my wrist. Also a little concerned that it's only rated to 50m. I don't swim and the most it'll likely see is rain, but do find it very strange that a field watch isn't certified to at least 100m.

But.. it's already shipped! So I guess I'll see how I like it.
If you don't swim, you'll be fine. Showering is usually not that advised in watches, due to heat and soap altering the way water can penetrate seals, but plenty have no issues whatsoever. I really wouldn't worry!

Absolute dimensions don't bely how a watch wears on wrist, so you hopefully, will find it's OK.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Which Khaki Field? The current one is 100m but generally speaking the vast majority of field watches are 50m with only a handful of exception like the one linked and the Khaki Pilot Pioneer.

Nevertheless, 50m is enough to go swimming with in shallow waters, there is zero issue with water resistance, even without a non screw down crown :cool:

As for 38mm, the 38mm khakis put me off because the lug to lug is quite long so the watch wears bigger, hence getting the Khaki Pilot. You will more than likely be fine!

Soldato
If you don't swim, you'll be fine. Showering is usually not that advised in watches, due to heat and soap altering the way water can penetrate seals, but plenty have no issues whatsoever. I really wouldn't worry!

Absolute dimensions don't bely how a watch wears on wrist, so you hopefully, will find it's OK.

I see what you mean, I just find it a bit strange on a field watch, the purpose being out in the field, nature, elements.. in the army that could take you all over the world. A watch of this nature could easily get very wet and submerged, if used in the actual field.

The lugs are very long from what I've seen, so shall see how it wears.

Which Khaki Field? The current one is 100m but generally speaking the vast majority of field watches are 50m with only a handful of exception like the one linked and the Khaki Pilot Pioneer.

Nevertheless, 50m is enough to go swimming with in shallow waters, there is zero issue with water resistance, even without a non screw down crown :cool:

As for 38mm, the 38mm khakis put me off because the lug to lug is quite long so the watch wears bigger, hence getting the Khaki Pilot. You will more than likely be fine!

It's the H69439931. Manual wind, basic of basic Khaki Field watches.. which seemed appealing for that very reason to me.

Hopefully it wears bigger and looks OK. I'll see! There's a long return policy, so will only be down shipping back if it doesn't work out.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
As I say, 50m is a surface swimming safe rating, you can submerge it, but not to diving depths. It's the pressure that tells at which point water will get in and each maker has their own ratings. Hamilton 50m is 43 psi. These watches were not issued to Navy Seal type forces though but only land based soldiers, for which 50m exceeds requirements. For a funny reference, people swim with the original Casio F-91W which merely says "water resistant" and have done for many years without a single issue.

Soldato
Anyone got any bright ideas for strap (20mm) recommendations? Had the watch for 12 years (bought on return from my first jaunt in Afghanistan) and as such has some sentimental value. Came on a titanium bracelet which I no longer like (stereotypically Seiko in quality) and as such I currently have it on a cheapo black NATO strap. Quite like the idea of putting it on a NATO again, but of a higher quality, possibly with some silvery/gunmetal tones in it.
v1W93kj.jpg
idPQR7Q.jpg
GfRKNYi.jpg

Soldato
https://www.watchgecko.com/nato-zulu-watch-straps?custom_strap_size_watch=32&p=3

Take your pic! I've had most of these over the years, the Zuludiver 328 is very high quality as is the ZuluDiver 298. Both have a permanent vanilla scent too. The newer Herringbone NATOs they sell are also very high quality.
I've been poring over Watchgecko for ages, hadn't considered rubber NATOs though, its a shame the single-pass grey isn't in stock.
You could always put it on an elastic nato like the Erika's Originals straps. If you had the "Black Ops Sand" strap the beige stripe would nicely compliment the gold tones of that watch.

https://erikasoriginals.com/mn-straps/blackops.php

I'm sure other more affordable options are available. I got some similar from watch gecko but they seem to have discontinued those models.
I'll have a look at these, the Erikas ones are a bit pricey so I'll have a look around as well.

Soldato
As I say, 50m is a surface swimming safe rating, you can submerge it, but not to diving depths. It's the pressure that tells at which point water will get in and each maker has their own ratings. Hamilton 50m is 43 psi. These watches were not issued to Navy Seal type forces though but only land based soldiers, for which 50m exceeds requirements. For a funny reference, people swim with the original Casio F-91W which merely says "water resistant" and have done for many years without a single issue.

F-91W, a classic. I don't really know what I'm worried about tbh, as I can't even swim :D.

It's arrived:

4vua3nY.jpg

What do you guys think?

First impressions: Sapphire glass is very reflective with no AF coating. Crown feels good, big and smooth to turn. The long lugs indeed make it wear large, which I'm glad about. The strap I don't like at all, it looks and feels very cheap. If I'm keeping it, more straps will be ordered. Not sure what though. The last time I ordered a strap was way back in 2014 from Timemasters!

I think I like it.....

Its very basic design is quite striking in itself. It's just very different to everything else in my collection. I do feel like perhaps it has a steep asking price, even with the discount that I got on it.

Hmmm!

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I find it odd that Hamilton used Sapphre with no AR, but on my watch which is mineral, has AR even though mineral is less reflective than sapphire - Eyebrow raising to say the least!

My mate's Khaki Field next to my Khaki Pilot, notice the glare on his :D

4uhuXE1.jpg

They are cool no nonsense field watches and as you say, as basic as they come but that's what makes them great. And the movement in them is very good and accurate to boot.

TBH I think the price for the Khaki Field is very fair for the watch you are getting. Mate paid 350 brand new for his one which from what I could see was very well priced given the tightly regulated ETA movement and overall quality (no AR sapphire aside...).

Back
Top Bottom