What watch do you wear?

Associate
Sold a few things (incl a watch or two) and including a bit of savings I’ve got about £4500 to spend on a watch, I’ve got a speedmaster moon watch, Oris carysfort gmt, Grand Seiko SBGN003, Seiko SPB149J1 and a Seiko Turtle, with one space left to complete the watch box.

As I like divers Ive got my eye on a Seamaster 300m grey, Tudor black bay 58 blue, Tudor Black bay GMT, or maybe an Aqua terra. There’s a 007 Aqua terra on eBay I nearly bought (which was a bit of a grail for me a few years back) although don’t fancy spending over 4K on an older model, so would probably go with the newer one with the date at 6 on a rubber strap.

Interested in any views on the above options, and any more recommendations pls?

Soldato
Sold a few things (incl a watch or two) and including a bit of savings I’ve got about £4500 to spend on a watch, I’ve got a speedmaster moon watch, Oris carysfort gmt, Grand Seiko SBGN003, Seiko SPB149J1 and a Seiko Turtle, with one space left to complete the watch box.

As I like divers Ive got my eye on a Seamaster 300m grey, Tudor black bay 58 blue, Tudor Black bay GMT, or maybe an Aqua terra. There’s a 007 Aqua terra on eBay I nearly bought (which was a bit of a grail for me a few years back) although don’t fancy spending over 4K on an older model, so would probably go with the newer one with the date at 6 on a rubber strap.

Panerai? Or...save another 1k and get arguably the best dive watch ever - a vintage Omega Ploprof

Associate
Panerai watches are ok and if I was rich I’d own one, although can’t justify spending that much on something I’m not overly connected with, not a fan of the ploprof :D

Soldato

How about something a little more dressy?

Associate
I know all of their watches are assembled by hand and are premium, but no Patek Philippe has ever appealed to me in looks, until I discovered this beauty.
HT4-A2826-561x700.jpg

Priced at a very reasonable £375,000

Didn't I hear something about how they've made a hairspring thinner than a human hair, for a thinner watch? The movements and the history sound impressive but I don't really like the price tags and the designs. I wear a watch I like the look of and it's not all about the movements for me.
Does any Patek Philippe watch appeal to you?

Caporegime
There are other variants of that same model that won't cost you > 300k

Granted, it is one that is in particularly high demand and sells for way more than the official price second-hand, you'd have to be on a waiting list for a while (like years) or be a rather valuable customer or celebrity if you want to buy one new.

Caporegime
I think a fake Patek Nautilus, for most people, is going to be rather obviously fake - I mean your friends/colleagues likely know if you're a multi-millionaire or not.

If you're an ordinary accountant, solicitor or IT person, living in your 4 bed Barratt home, with your PPI basic model BMW sat on the drive, leather corner sofa from the DFS sale, "art" from Ikea and a "Live, Laugh Love" sign on the wall etc.. then let's be realistic, you're not dropping 80k on a watch!

A Rolex or Omega might be a tad more realistic perhaps, though still quite an expensive purchase.

Though really, given that the high-quality fake versions of stuff like that Patek can run into several hundred £s themselves, might as well get a real watch you can afford like a Nomos or a Stowa - something well made, actually looks good and isn't fake.

Associate
I think a fake Patek Nautilus, for most people, is going to be rather obviously fake - I mean your friends/colleagues likely know if you're a multi-millionaire or not.

If you're an ordinary accountant, solicitor or IT person, living in your 4 bed Barratt home, with your PPI basic model BMW sat on the drive, leather corner sofa from the DFS sale, "art" from Ikea and a "Live, Laugh Love" sign on the wall etc.. then let's be realistic, you're not dropping 80k on a watch!

A Rolex or Omega might be a tad more realistic perhaps, though still quite an expensive purchase.

Though really, given that the high-quality fake versions of stuff like that Patek can run into several hundred £s themselves, might as well get a real watch you can afford like a Nomos or a Stowa - something well made, actually looks good and isn't fake.
Already got a couple of omegas and various other watches of differing values, I wouldn't buy a fake watch. Don't see the point, one it's fake and if I can't afford it I can't afford it. Not keen on Rolex myself, tried a Daytona on in a shop I've got good relations with and I kinda liked it, it's being added to a waiting list and I wouldn't pay more than list price for a watch unless it was one I Really liked and warrants a higher price tag due to rarity, etc. Rolex are too show offy for me(is that a word?:cry:).

Man of Honour
My watch has just conked out, so I need to buy another one. Probably this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ravel-Clas...=p_36:197572031&rnid=197571031&s=watch&sr=1-8

£7, works as well as a watch costing £70,000. I'm not into jewellery at hugely inflated prices and if I was I'd buy a necklace or a ring or something like that. I wear a watch as a watch - a convenient way to see what the time is. It's less convenient nowadays as few physical shops sell watches other than fashionable expensive jewellery that happens to have a watch in it. But Amazon sells pretty much everything and I can manage without a watch for a day or two. But hey, if people want to spend lots of money on jewellery that's their business. Seems silly to me, but they're not spending my money.

Someone I know has a couple of dozen unauthorised copies of expensive watches, most of them bought while on holiday. In quite a few parts of the world you can buy no end of knock-offs of all sorts of brands. They're not trying to pass them off as "real" (i.e. directly from the fashion house that holds the copyright on them). It's just a hobby that amuses them.

Soldato
The GS models I really like are the exclusive Japan only ones, or limited editions that rarely reach the hands of normal folk at any reasonable price point. So that's me out :p

Have you had a look at chrono24 for any grand Seiko's? Obviously I don't know of the particular models you like the look of but they've certainly got a number of Japanese dealers active on there.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Already got a couple of omegas and various other watches of differing values, I wouldn't buy a fake watch. Don't see the point, one it's fake and if I can't afford it I can't afford it. Not keen on Rolex myself, tried a Daytona on in a shop I've got good relations with and I kinda liked it, it's being added to a waiting list and I wouldn't pay more than list price for a watch unless it was one I Really liked and warrants a higher price tag due to rarity, etc. Rolex are too show offy for me(is that a word?:cry:).

Anything's a word if you want it to be. Maybe 'vulgarly ostentatious' would be more correct, but 'too show offy' works well enough. Showing off is the point of jewellery, but there are definitely degrees of subtlely in doing so. Some watches are well into into "look at my wad, loadsamoney!" territory.

Back
Top Bottom