What watch do you wear?

Soldato
Might have said this here before but currently daily wear a Garmin FR745.
Really want to get a proper watch that I can appreciate and pass on when the time comes.
Toss up between an IWC Pilots Chronograph IW377709
Or
Breitling Avi Ref. 765 1953 Re-edition.

Can't wear 2 watches and the Garmin is practical. Don't want 1 of the above watches just for it to sit in a draw 95% of the time.
I'd go for the IWC out of those two, but I love IWC watches... Whatever you do though, don't pay retail.

Associate
I'd go for the IWC out of those two, but I love IWC watches... Whatever you do though, don't pay retail.
Oddly I was leaning towards the Breitling I think its going to come down to how I feel on the day and watch availability.

Looking at prices everywhere is RRP. I did notice a few online retailers were offering grey market watches at a smallish discount but nothing that would tempt me under the circumstances to use them. Depending on the exchange rate might look at an official dealer abroad when the time comes.
What did you have in mind?

Soldato
Oddly I was leaning towards the Breitling I think its going to come down to how I feel on the day and watch availability.

Looking at prices everywhere is RRP. I did notice a few online retailers were offering grey market watches at a smallish discount but nothing that would tempt me under the circumstances to use them. Depending on the exchange rate might look at an official dealer abroad when the time comes.
I'm an IWC fan-boy, I really love their watches.

I wouldn't have a number I could suggest, but I would build a relationship so to speak with an AD and see what they'll do for you. I won't lie though, that's a nice Breitling.

Permabanned
DSC5850.jpg

Caporegime
Really want to get a proper watch that I can appreciate and pass on when the time comes.
Or

Can't wear 2 watches and the Garmin is practical. Don't want 1 of the above watches just for it to sit in a draw 95% of the time.

I must admit thought that limited edition Breitling is stunning and is quite possibly the best looking watch they have made in years.

Caporegime

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/iwc/ref-iw377709.htm

Plenty of UK dealers on there prepared to sell you one at less than list price.

Soldato
Or

I bought a knockoff Pilots Chrono without knowing it was a knock off years ago. I still wear it as I love the design so I would be going IWC all day long.

Associate
https://www.chrono24.co.uk/iwc/ref-iw377709.htm

Plenty of UK dealers on there prepared to sell you one at less than list price.

Thanks that interesting.....

I've had issues in the past with grey import items (Nikon) and I suspect both IWC & Breitling are going to be hyper vigilant as to the provenance of any watches they receive under warranty. Is it worth swapping an 8 year warranty for £450?

Does anyone here have any experience of warranty & grey imports on higher end watches?

Caporegime

I've had issues in the past with grey import items (Nikon) and I suspect both IWC & Breitling are going to be hyper vigilant as to the provenance of any watches they receive under warranty. Is it worth swapping an 8 year warranty for £450?

Does anyone here have any experience of warranty & grey imports on higher end watches?

Some UK are genuine dealers and not grey imports. Take the first Uk Dealer. Not the cheapest price but its £4,654 . But they are a proper watch shop in London.

https://watchesofmayfair.com/

Permabanned

All the watch brands I know of offer international warranties... I bought my first IWC in the Caribean and had no issues in London. Just check the fine print or ask the brand directly.

Some detail shots of that would be lovely. The movement finishing is hard to make out from this shot, and that's what Breguet excel at so could you do some more photos?

First time trying out the iPhone macro mode... quite impressive:
YmYD2G3.jpg

b43PpzW.jpg

Soldato
Had my Ball Roadmaster Marine GMT delivered today

Went for the Batman configuration even though it copies the GMT Master II as it was the most pleasing visually to me

Specs are pretty good. Chronometer certified, day/date & GMT complications, Titanium and ceramic case/bezel, 5000G shock resistance, 5K A/m magnetic resistance, tritium dial lume (super luminova on the bezel), 80hr power reserve

Fun that Webb C Ball used "on the ball" to reference the accuracy of his time pieces when they took over being the RailRoad standard in the USA (after a massive train crash caused by inaccurate clocks)

p1tjjMF.jpg

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Seiko 140th anniversary is here, the dial was what sold me it online and in person it's just as striking.

Just waiting for the blue tropic to arrive now which should look nice on this as the waffle pattern should match with the dial pattern and contrast with the seconds hand and dial colours.

Pros:
- Dial is superb. Not seen another watch out there with anything similar. Seiko seem to be hitting it off really well with these custom dials across the range of models the last couple of years. This one is a limited edition dial to celebrate Seiko's 140th. The dial pattern represents the cobbled paths in an area of Ginza where the company was founded. The blue on the seconds hand is the same hue used by Geishas back in the day but then quickly became popular among the people in Ginza.

- The lume is good. Nice and bright, just like Seiko divers. Makes sense since this has a 200m water resist. Not as striking to look at compared to the Stowa though, and Stowa apply a completely even lume across the whole dial and hands whereas Seiko the lume is initially brighter on the hands than on the applied markers.

- Very comfortable on the bracelet once sized properly. No complaints here but the resizing collar and pin system is a big faff. Seiko seem to pick and mix when they use screws, pins and collars + pins.

- The hands are half brushed and half high polished. Catches the light really nicely and stands out. This is not obvious in the stock images.

- Looks and feels much more premium than the price and stock images might suggest.

Cons:
- Bracelet micro adjust is next to non existent. Seiko haven't changed this in years despite owners always asking for more micro adjust and it also being a talking point by most popular reviewers online.

- The movement is boring to look at. It has some Geneva striping but is otherwise colourless and sterile. Makes the display back pointless just like on the Tudor Black Bay Silver edition. Much rather a nice engraved 140th anniversary metal caseback.

- It's hefty with the bracelet. Feels as hefty as the much bigger and thicker Spinnaker Bradner I had. Some like heft, some don't.

face-held-up.jpg

Stowa remains my favourite watch from all the watches I've owned though.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I don't see the rotor - manual wind surely?

It's automatic.

It's the world's thinnest skeleton tourbillon... it was a while ago, but remember them telling me something special about the automatic design... they wanted to keep as much open space without the rotor obscuring the view.

So they designed this small piece:
2021-11-24-11-54-30.png

Then I imagine they had to refine the rest of the mechanism to compensate for the reduction in mass/torque behind the winder.

The details they've put into this are really rather special. It has a surprisingly long power reserve for its profile also.

Permabanned
Also, its a tourbillon and has a retail of just under £200k if its the 5395BR/1S/9WU. It's quite the watch.

Retail, yes... and including UK VAT... none of which I paid. I have friends in good places & got about 45% off.

They're only making 100 of them too, so it should work out as a decent investment. Happens to be one of the prettiest watches I've seen, which helps.

I'm waiting on build of a 5435PT/1S/7XU at the moment & hoping to step into a Jacob & Co next year.

Only Patek & Rolex I can't get discounts on.

Back
Top Bottom