What watch do you wear?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
A mate was out watch shopping today and sent a few pics. There's a local watch shop selling old skool watches, a 1960s Speedmaster going for £10,000. Now if there's ever a Speedy to buy it's one with OG moon watch credentials.

In other good news my Laco Pro arrived safely. The dark sandblasted case is really cool but a bit annoying the buckle on the strap is not sandblasted so I think I will either buy a new buckle or sandblast this myself or just get a matte black buckle.

wristshot_night.jpg

And the AR on the front is on teh same level as the upgraded AR I opted for on the old Laco Aachen but this crystal is every so slightly domed so catches the light with the blue tint quite nice. The Stowa has underside AR which works well, and whilst generally legibility of the Laco double sided AR is better, when some direct light source is hitting the dial, the Stowa is more legible thanks to the deeper dome and lack of blue tint on top.

vs-stowa_AR.jpg

Some things the Stowa does better, others Laco does better. I think Stowa has more attention to detail like the high polished heat blued hands are nicer, even though the Laco hands are heat blued too but contain more lumed surface area. The counter balance on the seconds hand on Stowa is also heat blued whereas it's matte black on Laco, a small detail but I like how that part catches the light on the Stowa whereas it's stealthed out on the Laco.

Interesting lume application too...

lume_darkplus.jpg

Both dials are black, but the Laco's dial has a very dark grey feel about it probably due to the heavy AR coating.

vs_stowa_sides.jpg

vs_stowa_crowns.jpg

Both movements are top grade options so are anti magnetic and regulated to 5 positions. Quirky how Stowa chose to modify the SW215-1 which is a date complication movement to be date-free and removed the ghost position when they could have just use the SW210-1 which is the same movement without the date complication.

caseback_fingerheld.jpg

The Laco's crown has a clutch so you can screw it in safely when the movement is fully wound.

Both wear the same although they are only 1mm apart.

Did miss the Type-B dial from the Aachen, now I have it back!

Last edited:
Associate
Hope his is ok to ask here.
For 20 odd years I have been saying one day I will buy myself an Omega Seamaster, and everytime I think about it again the prices have gone up.
So my question is ... do people pay RRP in the Omega dealers, or is there wiggle room?
Never bought a pricey watch before, so not sure things operate in this space.

Thanks in advance.

Soldato
For 20 odd years I have been saying one day I will buy myself an Omega Seamaster, and everytime I think about it again the prices have gone up.
So my question is ... do people pay RRP in the Omega dealers, or is there wiggle room?

Thanks in advance.

As far as I am aware, most people tend to either get them on RRP but interest free credit. Or buy cash with a bit of negotiated discount. I'd doubt you'd get much more than 10-20% off though.

Soldato

Thanks in advance.
I visited an AD to look at a Speedmaster and asked about discounts. They said that recently Omega are fining boutiques for offering discounts so they couldn't do anything on it. I ended up buying it from another dealer (a techniqually used watch mind you) for a bit over 10% off, unworn and with stickers on.

e: This was about 3 weeks ago.

Associate

Thanks in advance.

I put 2 and half grand down then took finance out for the rest at RRP for my Seamaster last year, like others have said might be able to get a bit off if you pay cash to an AD.

Soldato
You know, I never thought about asking for a discount from high street stores.

I'm due to look at a new Submariner at Goldsmiths, if I can avoid paying the full amount I would prefer that! On the subject of Goldsmiths, are they okay generally for these kind of watches or are there any preferred ADs for Rolex?

Soldato

I'm due to look at a new Submariner at Goldsmiths, if I can avoid paying the full amount I would prefer that! On the subject of Goldsmiths, are they okay generally for these kind of watches or are there any preferred ADs for Rolex?
I didn't think it was possible to get a new Submariner without going on a list, not when paying retail anyway!

Soldato
I had no idea about that! I just saw it on Goldsmiths' website and thought "I want that". I'll look further in to the then.
If you look at the used prices of new Submariners you'll soon see that to get one without waiting years you'll be paying way over list price. I suspect I would have looked at one recently but the prices have gone nuts on them.

e.g. https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Rolex/Submariner/124060/48245/item/211517

£7150 list and now up for nearly £13k. Ridiculous!

Soldato

This is quite a funny statement (not to mock you) given the current situation. Be thankful you asked here first otherwise they would just refuse to put you on the list lol.

dod

dod

Soldato

Thanks in advance.
I got offered about 15% on a brand new SM 300 between xmas and New Year.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Just get the Breitling as it's available and not subjected to Rolex style waiting lists? I find them quite annoying tbh unless I'm missing something here with them?

As in, "here's one of our watch models, but oh wait we're only one of the biggest luxury watch brands there is but can't seem to produce enough to meet demand so for now you're not worthy of having one without a lengthy wait whilst we artificially drive values up" - That's a no thanks for me.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Bit too rap star for my eyeballs :p

Saw the movement and it looks very much like the Miyota 8315 I had in the Laco Aachen so went to look up that ref and even the Bulova website doesn't list what movement it is. I like Bulova generally but hate when makers don't put details of a watch, I know it's a sub £350 watch but still, some spec details on the movement would be nice lol.

8315 is a robust movement. Not the most accurate or refined, but a bit of an old workhorse that isn't going to give any troubles.

Back
Top Bottom