What watch do you wear?

Associate
What style are you looking for - eg. Diver, Dress watch, every day tool watch etc?

Might be best if you point to a few models that you like the look of (ignoring price to begin with) then we can make suggestions based on your budget.

Soldato
What style are you looking for - eg. Diver, Dress watch, every day tool watch etc?

Might be best if you point to a few models that you like the look of (ignoring price to begin with) then we can make suggestions based on your budget.

That's great, thank you :) preferably diver style. Despite never being able to afford either I like the looks of several omega and audemars piguet royal oak.
I have a very keen eye on Sinn watches, they look great value for money, such as the UX SDR. Seen a few raymone weil ones too, hence too many to choose from with little knowledge hence coming here.

Quite like the look of the Baume & Mercier Riviera 42 mm Silver Dial Watch

Last edited:
Associate
That's great, thank you :) preferably diver style. Despite never being able to afford either I like the looks of several omega and audemars piguet royal oak.
I have a very keen eye on Sinn watches, they look great value for money, such as the UX SDR. Seen a few raymone weil ones too, hence too many to choose from with little knowledge hence coming here.

Quite like the look of the Baume & Mercier Riviera 42 mm Silver Dial Watch

Does it have to be new? You should be able to pick up a 2nd Omega Seamster well within budget.

I have a soft spot for Sinn currently so something like the UX you point out or the U1 would be worth a look.

If you want to go more mainstream, the Tudor Black Bay 58 is often a recommendation although prices are starting to creep up on those now.

Soldato
Does it have to be new? You should be able to pick up a 2nd Omega Seamster well within budget.

I have a soft spot for Sinn currently so something like the UX you point out or the U1 would be worth a look.

If you want to go more mainstream, the Tudor Black Bay 58 is often a recommendation although prices are starting to creep up on those now.

I do like the Tudor black bay 58, I'd noticed the price increase lately which put me off, although could possibly stretch to it. Would people always reccomend a bracelet strap rather than fabric? Purely for resale if and when down the line?

Soldato
I do like the Tudor black bay 58, I'd noticed the price increase lately which put me off, although could possibly stretch to it. Would people always reccomend a bracelet strap rather than fabric? Purely for resale if and when down the line?
The BB58 bracelet is OK - a lot cheaper to get it upfront than afterwards.

Soldato
Blimey! 600, that's ridiculous. I'm leaning towards the Baume and Mercier Riviera 42mm, I can pick that up new for 1900 (450 saving on rrp). It has the look of the audemars piguet that I like too, anyone with any experience of these?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Did you know the AP "design" isn't really AP's, Zenith came up with it first and their recent model that harks back to their original drew some comments online from people who thought they just ripped off AP when it was in fact the other way round :p

Soldato
Did you know the AP "design" isn't really AP's, Zenith came up with it first and their recent model that harks back to their original drew some comments online from people who thought they just ripped off AP when it was in fact the other way round :p

Funny you say this mrk, I noticed zenith has this style! However I did not know this :p glad I've come here to pick brains as the options widen

Soldato
Certina have the DS Chrono which is not far off styling wise but it's a little under 14mm so quite thick - Guess the Longines might have to do.

I really hate thick watches :( Having slim wrists just makes a thick watch look silly on me. I try to keep anything I buy 12mm or less. Especially difficult for chronos.

I think the longines gets around the problem by using an ETA movement with an add on chrono module.

Associate
Blimey! 600, that's ridiculous. I'm leaning towards the Baume and Mercier Riviera 42mm, I can pick that up new for 1900 (450 saving on rrp). It has the look of the audemars piguet that I like too, anyone with any experience of these?

If value retention is in your buying criteria.....I probably wouldn't get the B&M. If you want a quality watch in the AP RO style you may want to consider the Tissot PRX Powermatic 80 (https://www.tissotwatches.com/en-gb/t1374071104100.html). At least with that you wouldn't loose as much in £ value (prob the same % wise though).

That said, you should always buy what you like, I don't think these things should really be considered investments.

Soldato
I own that exact Longines model. I really like it, I get the point on the date cut off, also the 3 is impacted by the seconds dial. Honestly though, this issue is the same as most date and daydate watches, even non-chronographs.

It wears bigger than the diameter would indicate, certainly it appears bigger on the wrist than a 41mm Aqua Terra, but this is due to the case being relatively slim.

It is comfortable, has a good clasp and a very nice strap. Accuracy for me is -2 seconds per day. The dial is lovely and the blue hands really set it off.

FYI, as a 2892 Chrono the servicing cost is nearly £400.

Soldato
I own that exact Longines model. I really like it, I get the point on the date cut off, also the 3 is impacted by the seconds dial. Honestly though, this issue is the same as most date and daydate watches, even non-chronographs.

It wears bigger than the diameter would indicate, certainly it appears bigger on the wrist than a 41mm Aqua Terra, but this is due to the case being relatively slim.

It is comfortable, has a good clasp and a very nice strap. Accuracy for me is -2 seconds per day. The dial is lovely and the blue hands really set it off.

FYI, as a 2892 Chrono the servicing cost is nearly £400.

Thanks for the mini review :) Any chance of some pics? I guess £1570 is a decent price for one brand new?

Back
Top Bottom