What watch do you wear?

Associate
I'm quite into old pocket watches. The oldest I have are from the 1800s and some work... just about. They all need servicing and I had bold plans of servicing them myself but after learning a lot about them I don't think I'm skilled enough to be a watch maker so I will just leave them alone and keep them as time pieces, maybe one day I will come across somebody who can work on them for cheap.

I have some other watches from WW2 they tick but don't keep time.

Soldato
Finally, a somewhat contentious question. Our first child was born last year and I really like the idea of having a watch to hand down to him when he's of a suitable age. I really like the Stowa but I guess I'd like something a bit more 'robust' and different in style to the Stowa. Also something that's fairly timeless so that in however long it is until I want to hand down a watch it's doesn't appear to garish, I quite like https://www.tudorwatch.com/en/watches/pelagos/m25600tn-0001 but at the same time I really like the idea of a somewhat more 'niche' brand to make it feel a bit more special. Any ideas :cool:
Personally I'd go for something a little more 'smart casual' rather than a 'dressy dive watch' like the pelagos and that's coming from someone who very rarely needs to wear a dress watch.

Now I'm not suggesting getting a straight up dress watch that only works with a suit but something like maybe a junghans max bill which will always have a sense of design/style and historical reference (bauhaus) and can shift from dress to casual with a change of strap. A flieger is a sound option too, it has historical relevance as well.

If you go niche though, as said above make sure you think about the movement and how it will be serviced in the future. Part of the reason I'd pick an Oris (might be worth a look too imo) with their sellita movement over their own in house is simply the fact that if oris ever go bust I can still get it serviced, plus it's cheaper lol.

Soldato
Finally, a somewhat contentious question. Our first child was born last year and I really like the idea of having a watch to hand down to him when he's of a suitable age. I really like the Stowa but I guess I'd like something a bit more 'robust' and different in style to the Stowa. Also something that's fairly timeless so that in however long it is until I want to hand down a watch it's doesn't appear to garish, I quite like https://www.tudorwatch.com/en/watches/pelagos/m25600tn-0001 but at the same time I really like the idea of a somewhat more 'niche' brand to make it feel a bit more special. Any ideas :cool:
UrbanGentry just did a video on Tudor watches. If you want something 'a bit more niche' and special, he is suggesting Fortis. They aren't exactly boutique but similar price bracket and insanely nice.

https://www.fortis-swiss.com/marinemaster/#40mm_rockstone-gray_block-bracelet

Soldato
7LvKQpp.jpeg

Just picked up the above, was hooked by the dial colour (it's a bit muted in the above, is bolder irl).
I don't usually like Doxas, but that one is a right corker. What's the case diameter and thickness?

Edit: found it - 40mm is even better than suspected. And 14.15mm thick is good going too.

Soldato
Just bought a new watch. Will post later but won't be everyone's cup of tea!

The mechanism is a ST1721, 20 jewel automatic mechanical, and it's the first time I've had a mechanical mechanism as opposed to a battery. How long without wearing it would it take to stop or significantly slow?

Last edited:
Soldato
How long without wearing it would it take to stop or significantly slow?
Depends on the 'charge' before you stop wearing it in all honesty....online says it's a 48 hour movement so assuming it's 'fully charged' it should last close to it, otherwise your mileage will vary. The thing to remember is that just because you're wearing an automatic doesn't mean it's necessarily charging, when sitting at a desk while typing for example the movement isn't going to be moving much, while going for a nice long walk where you're swinging your arms around more and as such charging it all up.

From first hand experience, if you're not one to wear an automatic watch on a daily basis due to multiple watches etc and you're coming from a 'pick up and go' quartz collection, the need to find a few mins to set the time and date before use will be a love it or hate it situation.

Man of Honour
That's a 42hr power reserve but will start to slow down around the 37 hour mark generally. All you have to do is shake it about a few times a day to keep the reserves up really. Or just turn the crown 10-15 times a day if even that.

Part of the beauty of a mechanical watch is the interaction with the movement.

Soldato
Good to know, thanks.

Aaannd let the berating commence... :D but then I really don't like big clunky metal watches with chain straps etc (like all the 'famous' brands) so each to their own!

Photos don't quite do it justice since the robots are gilded in gold, silver and brass foil and the background layer/time has quite a bit of depth to it.

Cq5ztyp.jpg
6b0wDv3.jpg
q7i9Erx.jpg

The design won't come as any surprise if anyone's familiar with Mr Jones' watches.

Soldato
Watched The Adam Project tonight on Netflix. I've not seen a Speedmaster appear so much in a movie since Apollo 13! (off topic, but Ryan really needs to stop playing Ryan in films, it's getting tired).

Looks to be the 1861 sapphire, look at that dirty milky ring ;)

uVqeDuM.jpg

Soldato
No GMT Batman for me by the looks of things as my AD is having their Rolex AD status removed along with a number of other ADs. I think Rolex will be heading to boutique style shopping / watches of switzerland.

Soldato
Good to know, thanks.

Aaannd let the berating commence... :D but then I really don't like big clunky metal watches with chain straps etc (like all the 'famous' brands) so each to their own!

Photos don't quite do it justice since the robots are gilded in gold, silver and brass foil and the background layer/time has quite a bit of depth to it.

Cq5ztyp.jpg
6b0wDv3.jpg
q7i9Erx.jpg

The design won't come as any surprise if anyone's familiar with Mr Jones' watches.

It's unique in a good way!

Back
Top Bottom