What watch do you wear?

Associate
The second hand /grey market prices for stainless steel rolexs has become increasingly detached from reality in the last few years, 15k for a milgauss? 25/30k for a hulk, 14k for a sub? Non of them are worth anything like that and there are much better watches out there for less. It wasn't that long ago you'd get a discount on most models at an AD other than something rare like a daytona!

The mugging/stabbing point is sadly a real risk when wearing such watches.

Would love a classic sub though, not prepared to pay the price though.

Soldato
The second hand /grey market prices for stainless steel rolexs has become increasingly detached from reality in the last few years, 15k for a milgauss? 25/30k for a hulk, 14k for a sub? Non of them are worth anything like that and there are much better watches out there for less. It wasn't that long ago you'd get a discount on most models at an AD other than something rare like a daytona!

The mugging/stabbing point is sadly a real risk when wearing such watches.

Would love a classic sub though, not prepared to pay the price though.

apparently my dateless sub that I got in 2020 now has massive waiting list. Bonkers

Omega’s new planet ocean is listed as £10k ish.

My favourite watch is my battered Tudor Black Bay 2014 ETA. My AD likes it as it’s worn daily with little regard. I paid £2k for it in 2015 and I bought it to wear it. It’s in for a service atm.

DIY, racking servers, mountain biking and so on. Rarely taken off.

Last edited:
Soldato
In reality I prefer my Tudor and Omega watches too, 4 watches that I enjoy and all together still don’t reach the value of my one Rolex. Plus I’m less likely to be stabbed for them. My AD and I were talking about a hopeful GMT Batman, but I don’t care anymore, they’re getting uninsurable so what is the point. If one came in, I’d flog it.
Personally I'm not a huge fan of Rolex, in all honesty if I was willing/able to pay £6k+ on a watch without missing that amount of money I'd be looking at JLC (reverso/polaris). Those in the know would know it's heritage etc but to the average person they'd likely not know much about them, the 'average' person knows about Rolex because they've done a really good job with marketing etc. Having said that I really like the colours Omega have just added to their speedmaster 57 and aqua terra ranges...prices not so much lol.

I'd also make sure that my home insurance (or even item specific insurance) has on any high value items (this would include things like a pc's these days) listed for out of the house cover, while the risk is pretty low here there is still a small risk no matter where you live.

Last edited:
Soldato
Personally I'm not a huge fan of Rolex, in all honesty if I was willing/able to pay £6k+ on a watch without missing that amount of money I'd be looking at JLC (reverso/polaris). Those in the know would know it's heritage etc but to the average person they'd likely not know much about them, the 'average' person knows about Rolex because they've done a really good job with marketing etc. Having said that I really like the colours Omega have just added to their speedmaster 57 and aqua terra ranges...prices not so much lol.

I'd also make sure that my home insurance (or even item specific insurance) has on any high value items listed for out of the house cover, while the risk is pretty low here there is still a small risk no matter where you live.

I’ve insured via TH March, house covers it too, but items are specifically covered with TH March.

I agree Omega colours looking nice.

JLC, indeed and very nice. I think certain Tudor watches still under the radar fortunately.

I saw a patek Royal Oak up for £130k ish last week at a shop in Lymington.

Soldato
I think certain Tudor watches still under the radar fortunately.
Yeah they do look nice and fortunately haven't quite hit the madness of rolex, but I have seen some reports of 'scalping' and wait lists of key tudor watches too...

My issue is actually finding a decent AD. Where I live companies seem to think that no one is likely to buy a decent watch, they closed Ernest Jones which was the 'high end' jewellers if you can call it that (my store only had tag heuer as the 'premium' section) and all we have left selling watches is H Samuels.... so day trips it is lol

I saw a patek Royal Oak up for £130k ish last week at a shop in Lymington.
I'm sure there will be someone stupid enough to buy it....

Soldato
Yeah they do look nice and fortunately haven't quite hit the madness of rolex, but I have seen some reports of 'scalping' and wait lists of key tudor watches too...

My issue is actually finding a decent AD. Where I live companies seem to think that no one is likely to buy a decent watch, they closed Ernest Jones which was the 'high end' jewellers if you can call it that (my store only had tag heuer as the 'premium' section) and all we have left selling watches is H Samuels.... so day trips it is lol

I'm sure there will be someone stupid enough to buy it....

i’m sure they will.

Yes the Tudor Chrono, I had the option for one due to a decent AD, but I turned it down as it’s quite thick. If they do one in the 58 size then yes please.

Laings I’m Southampton are so arrogant, so indeed finding ADs and then finding ones that aren’t so obnoxious

Associate
I managed to pick up a watch the other week that I have been after for quite some time. A Universal Geneve Golden Shadow.

I think it would be fair to say that these were the top of the line dress watches that UG made during the 60s and 70s. Why, well before the quartz crisis it was all about how thin you could make your watch. All of the shadow range, which were initially launched in 1965, house very slim micro-rotor movements. Namely the cal 66, 1-66, 2-66 for time only watches and cal 67, 1-67 and 2-67 for ones with a date. These were extremely thin and the cal 1-66 in this example is only 2.5mm in thickness. What took my by surprise was the actual thickness of this whole piece, it's only 5.7mm!! The phrase “Slips under the cuff” has never been more fitting for a watch. To put this into perspective, Patek didn't introduce the calibre 240 (the Calatrava's first ultra thin, micro-rotor movement) until 1977 and even then it was 2.53mm in thickness.

This particular example is ref 166111, dates from around 1969 and is finished in 18k yellow gold with and amazing gold sunburst dial. Needless to say I'm very chuffed this one has ended up in my collection.

QUc0Xz8h.jpg

8ln65ONh.jpg

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
So the Hirsch ARNE is still on the way, was meant to arrive Saturday but seems Royal mail sent it to the wrong sorting office :rolleyes: so tomorrow it is.

In the meantime I spotted Garmin sell straps on Amazon last night and ordered a rather nice looking one that matched the dark theme of the Laco. I like the texture/pattern on the top face but what wasn't obvious from the stock images was the keeper has a tab on the inside to lock the tail in place and the keeper won't move on wrist. Quite nice, and quick release too. These are made for Garmin's smart watches of course but the quality seems to be a marked bit higher than the usual silicone straps you can buy, though the price at just over £20 you would expect that I guess. Comes with two lengths on the hole section, and the main thing I like about it is that the holes are plentiful and close together so the perfect fit year round.

garmin-strap_2.jpg

garmin-strap_7.jpg

garmin-strap_1.jpg

garmin-strap_4.jpg

Soldato
So the Hirsch ARNE is still on the way, was meant to arrive Saturday but seems Royal mail sent it to the wrong sorting office :rolleyes: so tomorrow it is.

In the meantime I spotted Garmin sell straps on Amazon last night and ordered a rather nice looking one that matched the dark theme of the Laco. I like the texture/pattern on the top face but what wasn't obvious from the stock images was the keeper has a tab on the inside to lock the tail in place and the keeper won't move on wrist. Quite nice, and quick release too. These are made for Garmin's smart watches of course but the quality seems to be a marked bit higher than the usual silicone straps you can buy, though the price at just over £20 you would expect that I guess. Comes with two lengths on the hole section, and the main thing I like about it is that the holes are plentiful and close together so the perfect fit year round.

garmin-strap_2.jpg

garmin-strap_7.jpg

garmin-strap_1.jpg

garmin-strap_4.jpg
Lovely to see another maker with the strap tail notch. It's such a simple solution to a really annoying problem, and that one looks to be superior to the Barton one as it's possible to dock into any hole.

Fnar fnar.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Agreed! The HIrsch Arne finally arrived, it is longer than the Pure and has no shorter length option so was a little concerned at first but turns out it's perfect on the first hole and can go to 2nd in the summer I guess. Just like the Garmin strap this is very pliable, more than the Hirsch Pure natural rubber which needs to get warm to become a bit softer (though still comfy either way). I might keep

hirsch_arne_3.jpg

hirsch_arne_2.jpg

Associate
So the new MoonSwatches have been announced, what do you guys think? Personally, I quite like them and will hopefully be picking up Mercury & Neptune if I can find a shop with stock.

Edit:- I've just seen that they are only going to be available in London and Edinburgh Swatch stores in the UK :mad:. Guess I'll have to wait till they go online.

Sun
iqFdKT6h.jpg

Mercury
LxUSrBuh.jpg

Venus
TBquTDfh.jpg

Earth
edDC5i4h.jpg

Moon
6jyKNXfh.jpg

Mars
eSIqRY5h.jpg