What watch do you wear?

Soldato
@lsg1r yeah he is 15, all about the brand.

@dLockers yeah sorry if I’m sounding harsh but I just don’t get the point of this. I like a couple of them but I don’t see why it has Omega on it other than the obvious speedmaster look.

I don’t own a speedy but if I did I would be a bit peeved at them for this.

Soldato
It's kinda hilarious how people are getting up in arms on groups over the release, literally seeing grown men cry. It is a strange colab on the face of it, but it'll continue to sell like crazy and will be a gateway purchase for some. It makes business sense. It doesn't change my opinion of my Speedmaster.

Associate
It's kinda hilarious how people are getting up in arms on groups over the release, literally seeing grown men cry. It is a strange colab on the face of it, but it'll continue to sell like crazy and will be a gateway purchase for some. It makes business sense. It doesn't change my opinion of my Speedmaster.

Of course it devalues the Omega brand, if expensive brands could improve their image by selling their copyright to cheap brands, and it be a good idea, they would all be doing it, they don't, because it's a basic business mistake. Brand protection is sacrosanct for high end watches and fashion surely??

I'm sure Ferrari badged Ford fiestas would sell well, for Ford, but it'd devalue the brand.

Soldato
I'm sure Ferrari badged Ford fiestas would sell well, for Ford, but it'd devalue the brand.
Swatch owns Omega so it’s slightly different.
Back in the day when Fiat owned Ferrari, the F1 cars used to run Fiat sponsorship. Like buying a Fiat gave you bragging rights into a Ferrari link.

Soldato
Of course it devalues the Omega brand, if expensive brands could improve their image by selling their copyright to cheap brands, and it be a good idea, they would all be doing it, they don't, because it's a basic business mistake. Brand protection is sacrosanct for high end watches and fashion surely??
I think this is likely where we (I'm guessing most of us here are 'older') have differing views on 'brand value' to younger people, especially those on instagram.

Expensive brands aren't necessarily 'hip' in the key sales demographics, it's more about 'brand kudos' hence why brands like supreme can sell a £10 t-shirt with a thermal transfer logo on them for £100+... you only have to look how hyped people have become over a plastic watch that likely costs about £50 at max to produce.

Swatch are using 'influencers' to buff their brand values and while we don't all necessarily see this as good for omega, I'll put money on this being a net positive for both swatch and omega on instagram and future sales from 'young money'... for the 'rich influencers' who would normally buy rolex, they might swap over to an omega now and in turn help promote them similar to the way rolex has promoted itself via social media... think about it, do you see iced out omega's, not really, but I bet within a few months we might.

In some respects you could argue this is quite clever marketing, it's just not aimed at us. Besides ,IMO, Omega is in a kind of weird place, a good watch, expensive, but not as popular with 'old money' who are looking further up the ladder at patek, ap and the likes. So ultimately swatch group needs to target a new demographic for their sales.

Associate
Can't see any of those eBay sales actually completing but there are plenty of fools out there with money so perhaps they will.

As for de-valuing the Omega brand, I'm not sure why it would. It's been well enough differentiated that it doesn't confuse consumers and it'll certainly drive up interest in Omega for a while.
Would have loved it too have been the Seamster though. I fancy a fun diver for summer.

Soldato
Can't see any of those eBay sales actually completing but there are plenty of fools out there with money so perhaps they will.

As for de-valuing the Omega brand, I'm not sure why it would. It's been well enough differentiated that it doesn't confuse consumers and it'll certainly drive up interest in Omega for a while.
Would have loved it too have been the Seamster though. I fancy a fun diver for summer.
I imagine rotating bezel on a plastic case may cause too many issues for them given the need to have some form of metal on metal interface (the lug holes are still a question). Be interesting to know how the cast plastic cases stand up to the a typical 200/300m depth rating.

Sorry, Plasteramic. Or is it Ceramastic.

Soldato
I imagine rotating bezel on a plastic case may cause too many issues for them given the need to have some form of metal on metal interface (the lug holes are still a question). Be interesting to know how the cast plastic cases stand up to the a typical 200/300m depth rating.
While I'm sure the bioceramic (it's basically just a bio plastic with impurities) wouldn't work in this instance using 2 different plastics could work for a rotating bezel, there already plenty of 'rotating' things out there that are purely plastic, you just have to pick the right type of plastic.

And I suspect at 200/300m depth's you would have a dead quartz movement, popped off display and maybe even a compressed case, it's rated for 3 bar/atm so 30m's meaning it's only just splash proof lol

Oh and swatch are getting plenty of hype from all the queues.... it's basically being reported all over the place.

PMSL just seen a video for covent garden queue via the daily mail... it's like a mile long, not a chance on this planet that the majority of those in the queue are 'normal' watch fans/collectors, we're not that stupid.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10654783/Thousands-queue-watch-shops-globe-MoonSwatch.html

Associate
There can’t be many people buying this £200 watch who then think, you know what, I’ll get a proper one for £7k !!
It’s clearly a swatch lead project, flexing their brands.

I'm not so sure on that to be honest. There's a whole load of expensive things I've bought because of a good experience with a entry level product, I wonder how many people buy an iPhone SE then buy an iPhone 13, or buy an Epiphone and then a Gibson...... I honestly think this will have a positive impact for both Omega and Swatch.

Soldato
I'm not so sure on that to be honest. There's a whole load of expensive things I've bought because of a good experience with a entry level product, I wonder how many people buy an iPhone SE then buy an iPhone 13, or buy an Epiphone and then a Gibson...... I honestly think this will have a positive impact for both Omega and Swatch.

The things you list aren’t really around 20-30x the price though. I do agree that I stay with a brand I have good experience with but £200 to £4/5/6/7k would be a leap.

I can see then following with a seamaster now this has looked like a success.

Soldato

Sorry, Plasteramic. Or is it Ceramastic.
Speedmaster doesn’t have a rotating bezel. Would defeat its purpose if it moved.

I went to the Melbourne store yesterday. Opened at 9, got there 10:30. Queue was ridiculous, hundreds of people in it. They had a limit of two per customer and given the low price would have to assume everyone was getting two. No idea how many the shop had but would have hated to queue all day and be left with only the pink one! :o
This photo was head of the queue, notice police presence too.

Soldato

Where did I say anything about devaluing the brand, and what even is devaluing in this instance? We all know the Swatch recreation isn't a Speedmaster. Those that want a Speedmaster will continue to buy one.

If the Swatch release enables more people to get into watches or to be able to fill a hole in their collection on a budget.. I'm all for it. The level of snobbery is literally insane and I find it embrassing.

Associate
My 2p ...

This was a viral hit - Swatch never planned it so cant be held accountable. They release tons of editions every year.

Most queued up were scalpers looking to sell on ebay for a profit, sleep overnight make £500 ... good odds.

They also tended to bring their extended family to buy more.

Stores had 150 watches total. Again no one a month ago allocating stock thought it would be iPhone Launch Day / PS5 Launch Day mania.

Personal thoughts on it ..

Looks cheap and plastic.

It will bridge a gap and eat fashion watches plus a gateway drug into a proper Speedy.

With the viral hit more people will be like "whats Omega? Is that like a Rolex?" which is good - and general public interest in watches is a good thing, taking out the idiots mentioned above.

Am I getting one? ...

Nope. I was going to Q up yesterday at 8am if there were maybe 20 folks about for the banter and to chat to watch folks but in 2 weeks when everone can have one, no one will want one.

Who still really shows off their Hodinkee ltd ed from 2 years ago as they did when it was a hot ticket item ...

Soldato
Speedmaster doesn’t have a rotating bezel. Would defeat its purpose if it moved.
The post was about the Seamaster

BioCeramic
:D
That's the one, thank you!

While I'm sure the bioceramic (it's basically just a bio plastic with impurities) wouldn't work in this instance using 2 different plastics could work for a rotating bezel, there already plenty of 'rotating' things out there that are purely plastic, you just have to pick the right type of plastic.

And I suspect at 200/300m depth's you would have a dead quartz movement, popped off display and maybe even a compressed case, it's rated for 3 bar/atm so 30m's meaning it's only just splash proof lol

Very fair point on there being plenty of plastic/plastic rotating interfaces. I suppose they might use a pure friction bezel rather than detente if they do go down this route.

Back
Top Bottom