What weather app for the UK

Soldato
The new default one is getting better, now that they're integrating the stuff from dark sky. Not sure if it is improved again in ios16?

Other than that I also use met office and netweather.tv website as a page added to the home screen.

Soldato
The built in one has come a long way but I find Dark Sky easier to use. Will stick with it until the shut down. Once it has gone I won’t install another.

Soldato
Dark Sky is excellent. So much so that Apple bought the company and is/ has integrated it into their own Weather app. I have iOS 16 beta installed on my iPad and the weather app is superb. A massive jump in supplied info over the previous efforts. I‘d use the BBC Weather app for the time being until iOS 16 is released.

Man of Honour
Met Office. The one built in isn't accurate at all. I wanted to go out one week and it said there was rain due. Not 1 day did it rain!

Met Office said there was no rain due and was right.

I've found the opposite lately, Met Office always gets it horribly wrong with rain whereas the iOS weather app seems to be spot on. Granted we've not had much rain to forecast lately :D but I've found it to be the case for months

Associate
OP
thanks all out of all the answers the only one i haven't used is dark skies but currently on the BBC one but will give the iOS one another try as i'm on the beta atm, so will se how it goes, i mean its only to display the weather how hard can it be lol.
Thanks

Commissario
i mean its only to display the weather how hard can it be
An accurate weather forecast more than a couple of days in advance is incredibly difficult :D

And yet, they still can't get it right. You'll hear forecasters bang on about 'models' (and you'll see the same in the winter thread we get in GD every year) but it's all guesswork, it's simply not possible to accurately predict the weather very far in advance.

Associate
OP
must say i'm presently surprised with the iOS one on my iPhone, weather updates are spot on for the last week

Associate
Dark skies is by far the best i have ever used for my location. The precipitation(I think its called) is very good. The umbrella reminder is also a good feature. Again for my area the temps was about 1-2 cs off sometimes.

After first trying the inbuilt one on ios currently, it is not the same. to me anyhow.
My only complaint is it is very bland and tbh looks very ugly.

Soldato
Dark skies is by far the best i have ever used for my location. The precipitation(I think its called) is very good. The umbrella reminder is also a good feature. Again for my area the temps was about 1-2 cs off sometimes.

After first trying the inbuilt one on ios currently, it is not the same. to me anyhow.
My only complaint is it is very bland and tbh looks very ugly.
The localised precipitation has been brought into the native weather app for a while, and I've found it reasonably accurate. It's enough to know when I should be getting the washing in, anyway! The 10-day forecast icons are very pessimistic though; I'll often see a 90% rain, for example, when the day is actually majority sunny, it's just there'll be a 90% chance of rain for an hour or two.

The iOS 16 native app looks way better now - can open up the future days in the 10-day forecast and view much more detail about temperatures, precipitation etc, whereas now only the next 24 hours is available. Looks to be a nice update and further integration of Dark Sky tech :)

Associate
OP
The localised precipitation has been brought into the native weather app for a while, and I've found it reasonably accurate. It's enough to know when I should be getting the washing in, anyway! The 10-day forecast icons are very pessimistic though; I'll often see a 90% rain, for example, when the day is actually majority sunny, it's just there'll be a 90% chance of rain for an hour or two.

The iOS 16 native app looks way better now - can open up the future days in the 10-day forecast and view much more detail about temperatures, precipitation etc, whereas now only the next 24 hours is available. Looks to be a nice update and further integration of Dark Sky tech :)
Agreed i posted as i was getting fed up with the bbc weather app and now having tried the apple one on ios beta (dont know if iys different) but i like it better

Soldato
I like Weather Underground. It has access to a lot more weather stations than DarkSky, AccuWeather or the Met Office etc. The latter tend to only offer the one at the airport (on the other side of the city), or Melling (miles away) and that's it. Often the weather tells me it's sunny/rainy and the opposite is true. Conversely, Wunderground offers the choice of a dozen weather stations, including one around the corner, because they also incorporate data from personal weather stations - and you can sign up and include your own. Much more accurate over time, for me. They are owned by IBM Weather these days (run independently), but I've been using them since they were independent in the late 90s.

Back
Top Bottom