What would £5k buy someone today?

Soldato
Hey all. Debating ending a pcp deal and going for a "run around" or cheap older used vehicle to get me to and from work.

We have another car for the family/weekends.

I was thinking something a bit fun like a coupe, a TT or something like that.

I know it's a get what you pay for world out there, but what would be a good/reliable option?

I used to love the RX8 BUT.. I understand they definitely aren't a reliable choice?

Man of Honour
Don't know why, but I was expecting RX-8 to cost more. Cheaper than I expected looking on AT.

One bit that doesn't quite stack up though, you are wanting something "a bit fun" but to use for commuting, with a different car used at weekends. Will you get the opportunity to have fun during rush hour? Is there a reason you can't use the other car for commuting (this will likely be cheaper than buying another car)? RX-7 has low MPG, high road tax and relatively high insurance banding, which doesn't really fit with the "cheap" bit.

Normally, people would tend to get a coupe, convertible or whatever as a weekend toy with something a bit more frugal and comfortable used to ferry them to and from work.

Soldato
OP
Don't know why, but I was expecting RX-8 to cost more. Cheaper than I expected looking on AT.

One bit that doesn't quite stack up though, you are wanting something "a bit fun" but to use for commuting, with a different car used at weekends. Will you get the opportunity to have fun during rush hour? Is there a reason you can't use the other car for commuting (this will likely be cheaper than buying another car)?

I never really have a good reason to explain myself :D but I shall try!

Yeah, RX8 Seems cheaper than I expected too. Then I googled it and got scared. They sound a bit unreliable?

So use wise. I say commute, I live 15 mins from work. So it's hardly a long one.

Other car is used during the day by partner for her school run, work, and school run again.

Soldato
Yeah an RX8 would require a brave pill, cool cars but you need to really do your homework. It used to be the case of being better to buy one with the engine pre-failed and get it rebuilt yourself as you should get 60k fairly trouble free out of it then.

If you've got the tools and know how to rebuild yourself i dont think it's that expensive but is quite different to a regular engine but i dont think it's THAT complicated.

Man of Honour
Will it cost you anything to end the PCP early? What car is it? Depending on the scenario, keeping hold of it might be a better option than buying a cheap fun car with unknown history.
edit: Just seen other thread, Megane RS300 trophy sounds fun on paper and presumably is under warranty, isn't there a risk the replacement car will be less fun and more unpredictable with bills etc?

Soldato
OP
Will it cost you anything to end the PCP early? What car is it? Depending on the scenario, keeping hold of it might be a better option than buying a cheap fun car with unknown history.
Indeed all up for debate really.

Just something I'm considering thats all.

The PCP settlement is just shy of £22k and car is valued roughly at £27k on the usual buying sites WBAC etc

Man of Honour
RX8's:

Use silly amounts of fuel
Need rebuilds fairly regularly at significant cost
Have rust issues, among other things
Expensive tax
Not really that fast or good to drive (stock, anyway)

They are cheap for a reason.

Soldato
Similar to the 182 above but that tiny bit more modern, Clio 197/200

Great little cars, just watch for gearbox issues and be aware that they drink a little bit for a relatively light, na car (nowhere near rx8 levels though)

Soldato
Avoid an RX8 like the ****ing plague, unless you're really really into self flagellation/have money to burn on constant repairs, and like spending more money on engine oil rather than fuel.
Buy an MX-5 if you want reliable and fun.

Underboss
assuming you are not doing over 10K a year then if its just commuting ?

Focus ST-3
or facelift ST-2 ?

theres even a mk 3 ST :

Soldato
I would keep the Trophy 300 myself your not going to get anything better for the money! How about downsizing to a Sport 300 (no DESS battery issues & more comfortable seating) or even an RS250 starts around £7K!! Raw cars but lots of fun for sure !!!

Soldato
Another shout for a 182. Had two in the past.

Cheap as chips on consumables and plenty in the graveyard if you need cheap replacement parts. Cliosport forum is a good resource too.

Soldato
OP
I would keep the Trophy 300 myself your not going to get anything better for the money! How about downsizing to a Sport 300 (no DESS battery issues & more comfortable seating) or even an RS250 starts around £7K!! Raw cars but lots of fun for sure !!!
I probably won't get rid, just having a think ;)

Back
Top Bottom