What would cause this type of tyre wear?

Soldato
Agree with this.
God knows how you wouldn’t notice/hear that though.

Just had another look and noticed how far the tyre hangs over the the inner alloy wall.

I might be wrong but I'm thinking 2 things:

1. Wrong alloys for the car and the offset isn't right
2. Wrong size tyre and it's too wide for the wheel.

I'm still going with the damage being caused by suspension rubbing, the wear is too uniform not to be.

Associate
Just had another look and noticed how far the tyre hangs over the the inner alloy wall.

I'm still going with the damage being caused by suspension rubbing, the wear is too uniform not to be.

I thought the same as you straight away from the images. A tyre that is too wide for the wheel or incorrect offset causing rubbing on a suspension component.

Soldato
OP

It's neither of the two listed above and I'm checking the suspension. I've had this car for over 7 years and it was roughly 18 months old (roughly) at that time. It had the factory run flats when I got it and I replaced them soon as I could, so probably had 3 tyre changes since then. It's never shown this type of wear before.

The wheels are stock BMW and the sizes are:

Front - 245/35ZR20 8.5J ET33
Rear - 275/30ZR20 9J ET44

Remember I mentioned a vibration from the day these Yokohama's were fitted and the numerous attempts by the garage to fix it, which they failed. Even BMW couldn't find an issue when I took it to them. So either I was sold a duff tyre or they messed up the alignment so badly to cause this.

One thing to note - I have changed wheel sizes and tyres in the last week and there's no vibration at all, not even a hint. Perhaps a buckled or bent wheel? Time to get out my dial gauge and check that.

Soldato
That isn't a camber issue, that's a toe issue.

You'd have to be running about -50 degrees camber to get that sort of wear profile.

Everyone bangs on about camber, but the tolerances are so much tighter with toe and this sort of issue is almost always due to the toe being out.

For example if your wheel is out by 30 minutes on the camber - you probably won't really see much wear difference at all, until the tyre is almost at the end of its life.

If your wheel is out by 30 minutes on the toe, you'd be lucky to make it home!

Get a Hunter alignment check (some places offer a check FOC)

Yup.

Soldato
One of the reasons I tend to seriously start thinking of replacing at 3mm as sometimes it is hard to detect issues like this unless you can get the vehicle up on a lift.

My dad had similar on the inside rear tyres of his latest VW Touran, I can't remember the exact details as there was more than one issue causing it (something was rubbing as well but I can't remember what), but according to the mechanic a lot of more recent VAG and BMW cars they've cheaped out on the stock control arm bushes on the independent rear suspension or something like that causing a lot of wear on the stock setup on the inside edge of the tyres. (This is me trying to remember the conversation with my dad so might have got something backwards).

This can happen on the Fiat 500 lol. It just shows how overpriced VAG/BMW cars are now. They used to be robust back in the day.

Over time they start to sag at the rear and the alignment changes, but cannot be adjusted back to where it should be.

Associate
subsequently clocked this video - guess he singled out bmw as click bait -
but shows how suspension bushing can well be the cause causing erratic toe.
WHY BMW TIRES WEARING ON THE INSIDE

Wow, I am actually surprised that a worn bush could cause a wear pattern that extreme but I've learnt something new, which is a good thing. Especially as I'm toying with getting a BMW touring as my next car.

Soldato
Op's car:

kids-this-is-what-calcium-deficiency-could-do-to-your-car_2.jpg

Soldato
Sorry, might have missed it, but what BMW is it?

The solid rubber bushes on the suspension arms are normally very robust, and again, i'd be willing to bet this is a toe issue. Will be interested to see what the alignment "before" report shows when you get it done.

This won't be an underinflation issue as you normally have to be significantly underinflated (20%+) to cause issues and it normally causes slight wear on both the inner and outer shoulders. Your tyre has just worn away on the inside edge so much that the tyre has blown out and the tread has delaminated from the sidewall.

Back
Top Bottom