What would you buy next to further your Photography?

Associate
Hey Guys,

I currently have a Nikon D90 with the following:
- Nikon Kit lens (18-105mm)
- Nikon Prime 50mm 1.8
- Nikon SB-800 Speedlight

Now I'm hoping to take my photography to the next level, principally I take pictures of the family, at home, i,e potraits or on days out. So out of the following list what would you guys recommend I buy next.

My list is as follows (no particular order):

- Walkabout Lens Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 G AF-S ED Lens, Dont really have or want to spend this money, but would something like this make a big difference to my pictures?? Im a noob, wouldnt mind say spending up to £600 on a new lens.
- Macro Lens
- Tripod
- Another Flash
- Intuoso 4 to help me with post editing
- Screen Calibrator, something like the Spider Pro

As always thanks for your help guys.

Meds

Soldato
1) Another flash + modifiers such as umbrella
2) 2.8 zoom, or a couple of primes, wide angle and short telephoto to compliment the 50mm
3) Tripod for some landscapes and other stuff
4) Learning material
5) Calibrator
6) Tablet

Associate
Maybe a telephoto - 70-200 perhaps? Having the ability to use longer focal lengths can open up new possibilities for all types of photography :)

A 24-70 would almost certainly improve image quality, but from my experience i'd say it's worth getting a larger range of focal lengths covered first as it allows you to do new things, rather than the same thing but sharper :)

Associate
OP
Thanks Guys

A telephoto definately seems like a good idea, 2.8 telephoto lens tend to be very expensive right? Would any of you be able to recommend one that would fall into the Sub 600 range?

I think I will probably order things this way:

-Telephoto
-Umbrella
-Calibrator (although this could drop far down the list if I can do things with the card)
- Tripod
- Additional Lighting/Flash
- 24-70
- Tablet

Soldato
Thanks Guys

A telephoto definately seems like a good idea, 2.8 telephoto lens tend to be very expensive right? Would any of you be able to recommend one that would fall into the Sub 600 range?

Used Nikon 80-200 f2.8 will often go for under £500 and they're an excellent lens, if a little old. Sigma 70-200 f2.8 would be my second choice.

Caporegime
Thanks Guys

I think I will probably order things this way:

-Telephoto
-Umbrella
-Calibrator (although this could drop far down the list if I can do things with the card)
- Tripod
- Additional Lighting/Flash
- 24-70
- Tablet

A 2nd hand Nikon 80-200 AF-D gives up very little compared to the new AF-S 70-200 VR lenses but should easily be within £600.

24-70 is very expensive and the range is not ideal on crop. Try a Tamron 17-50 2.8 non-VC. Cheap, but very good.

Associate
If you go down the lighting route, look up the strobist sight and Zack Arias they both give sound advice. Get cheep light stands off the auction place and other bits for lighting.

But I would suggest books, one decent how to, Scott Kelby seems to be all right to read. Look out for his podcasts: Photoshop TV and Dtown tv. Don't buy any lenses for a while and get used to what you have, save the money for the better quality stuff. Calibration is worth doing if you are going to print a lot, that being said it makes a difference. If you are looking for a tripod go for a good one like a Manfrotto with a decent head.
Look at the work of other photographers, you will gain a lot from the experience.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the advise, The sigma lens that you guys mentioned was it this one:

Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 APO EX DG Macro HSM II - Nikon Fit
http://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/lenses/telezoom/70-200mm.htm

I would probably get that one over the second Nikon, as Im sometimes weary of buying stuff second hand just in case its faulty. :)

I have the Scott Kelby books and they have definately helped out loads.

So what would you guys consider to be a basic Studio Lighting setup, also I dont have much space at home, so would need something I could easily pack away when its not being used :)

Soldato
Personally I think the one thing that will make the biggest difference is the only thing you can't by and that is time, having all the gear in the world will make little difference comapred to having the time to get out in the field and shoot.

Soldato
Thanks for all the advise, The sigma lens that you guys mentioned was it this one:

Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 APO EX DG Macro HSM II - Nikon Fit
http://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/lenses/telezoom/70-200mm.htm

Yup, onestopdigital do it for about £510.

So what would you guys consider to be a basic Studio Lighting setup, also I dont have much space at home, so would need something I could easily pack away when its not being used :)

Either 3 strobes or 3 flashguns, stands, wireless triggers and soft boxes.

Could get all that on a budget for £300 I would say, but the sky is the limit really.

Associate
OP
have you guys bought stuff from 1stop before?
I think I will probably get the Sigma and some sort of Calibration device, although I will wait to see how i do with the card that they send through.

Alex your right, I really do need time to dedicate to the hobby, that is probably the single thing Im missing most.

By the way do you guys think that using the sigma at 85mm will be good for potraits? at least better than my kit lens?

Studio setup is definately gonna come soon after that :) Actually might get that at the same time :)

Associate
OP
Thanks Raikiri, I will go ahead and order that now :) LOL here comes an EDIT

Just before I order with regards to the sigma lens, how does it compare to the Tamron 70-200mm F2.8 SP Di, they are both of a similar price, and reviews are quite similar too, and more out of curiosity the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG APO OS HSM that one is 840.

Thanks again

Guys am I allowed to link a studio lighting kit from the jungle shop? or will that get me in trouble?

Last edited:
Associate
Used Nikon 80-200 f2.8 will often go for under £500 and they're an excellent lens, if a little old. Sigma 70-200 f2.8 would be my second choice.

A 2nd hand Nikon 80-200 AF-D gives up very little compared to the new AF-S 70-200 VR lenses but should easily be within £600.

+1 to both of these suggestions. The Sigma and Tamron would only be on my list if I couldn't find the above lens. The optics are far superior on the Nikon lens. You know exactly what you're getting with the Nikon. I'd be very wary about risking an imported Sigma. Even if you could guarantee a good copy I'd still take the Nikon. It produces amazing images and it's built like a tank.

Associate
OP
Just to keep you guys updated, You guys have completely corrupted my noobish mind!!!

Right now I'm seriously considering getting the 70-200mm Nikon VR2!!!

One question tho is if i was to invest in that beast would someone like myself notice the differences between that and the Sigma??

Also is this the 80-200 you guys are suggesting:

Nikon AF Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Lens, I can buy a new one of those from 1 stop for £662

Back
Top Bottom