What would you do with a free 6 months?

Soldato
Pretty easy for me:

Lots more cycling. On top of the road bike riding I'd get an adventure bike for some bikepacking. I'd start with Scotland then look at Western Europe.
Ramp up my learning of bass guitar. I don't give it near enough time at the moment. I'd love to get to a level where being in a cover band playing local pubs was a reasonable prospect.
Spend more time with family, especially my retired father.
Spend a winter season learning to ski properly, I currently suck.

I enjoy my job, but if I won the lottery I'd put my notice in immediately. I have more than enough interests to keep me going. You only get one life and I don't make enough of it at the moment. Hell, I'd spend 10 weeks of the year just following the 3 grand tours round Italy, France and Spain in a campervan!

Soldato
I have already said I did the Camiño last year, I wonder how many talk the talk but wouldn't take the opertunity, I was a little like that but was talked into the camino by my ex gf,
Some I know just won't, same as they will never move more than 20 miles from where they were born, not saying in this thread, just people in general fear any sort of change or adventure

Permabanned
You should be extremely grateful that you are not one of tens of thousands who have already been totally laid off, into a now very tough market. I have had my contract ended due to this situation, had to sort another one and luckily have worked something out, but i'll be 30-40k/year down post transition.....my wife is also probably 20-30k down through this. People who have not seen interruption should not be complaining, a lot of us have taken quite a hit! :)

Oh of course, I never meant for that to sound as though I begrudge people like yourself and your partner your current situation. Was a very callous comment to make, apologise.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Oh of course, I never meant for that to sound as though I begrudge people like yourself and your partner your current situation. Was a very callous comment to make, apologise.
I was more trying to put a positive spin on it from your POV :) We are fine bar a bit of a knock financially (which only affects future investment anyway)....but with the turmoil we have personally had, i can really relate to the people who have actually found themselves totally out of work en masse, and now plunged into what will be a really tough market. Anyone who has gone through this time totally unscathed should feel pretty happy about it!

Associate
I would like to know the same. Can you just book into and do the test without being part of a course?

No you cant just study from the regs the regs is the regulations

To be a proper electrician youl need to gather study material for the 2330 course unless the course name has changed since I last did it

That was a 3 year course

Then youl need study material for the 2391 testing and inspection

Nvq 3

18th edition regs

That's mostly classroom work apart from the nvq which is site based you can get the ecs gold card with just the nvq and 2330

Man of Honour
If travel was possible and I didn't have a wife and kids then I'd grab a small backpack and jump on the nearest cheap flight pretty much anywhere. Then spend the six months hopping around the world with just that small backpack experiencing as many countries as possible. Right now that seems like bliss to me.

Man of Honour
Make a dent in my backlog of games / films / movies I reckon. Problem is six months would fly by too quickly and then I'd probably resent being so busy again. If it was a more reasonable length of time like a couple of years I'd maybe try and get some jobs done around the house (flooring, putting blinds up, paint the front door etc).

Soldato
Do my Siemens level 2 & 3 and GWO qualifications, so that I can get out of working on ships and hopefully into working on the offshore wind turbines round these parts as a maintenance tech.

That and doing as much as I can to rectify the legacy that the have-a-go hero who previously owned our house and garden left us.

Back
Top Bottom