What would you do?

Soldato
Hey guys,
So I'm wondering what you're thoughts are on this situation and what would you do?

I work 4 nights a week with a 28 hour contract.. Been doing this for over 10+ years.
Now my employer (or should I say boss) wants to change this so I now work 5 nights but still on the same 28 hour contract.
So in theory I won't be better off pay wise, and I'll loose my night off.
Would you put up with this?
The reasoning behind this, company is re-structuring and they want to save money on wages, so are moving hours about and offering people voluntary redundancy OR allowing team members to drop a shift, now I've heard that one or two members have agreed to drop a shift, but it seems like because they have, I've now inherited their shift but obviously won't cost the company any more money and they get me for an extra shift at my expense.
What would you do?

Soldato
Ask about the VR package. It might make them think that its too expensive to go down that route if enough of you do it.
If you have transferable skills then finding another job should not be too much of a hassle and your redundancy money will give you some breathing room.

Another option is to ask for an improved contract taking into account the extra night you have to work, you might be saving a hour or so each night on your shift if they stick to 28 hours but its a night you lose and have to travel (presuming this costs you).

Man of Honour
Depends a bit on factors like the cost/time of commuting. If that is high then I'd tell them I don't want to accept the change in terms due to the increased cost/time of having to work an extra day a week.
If I was working from home I'd potentially just suck it up/

Back
Top Bottom