What would you get? ~£20k & low mileage

Soldato
Hi,

For the last 4 years I have leased cars, but am finding the fast turn around a little annoying. So in 3 or 4 months time I will be looking to purchase one.

I do about 3,000 miles a year, don't drive to my main place of work but do a bit of driving for work (one site is 12 miles away, another 20), local traffic is dreadful at peak times. Other trips I try and take the train. The reality is, most of my driving is 1-5 miles in length and can potentially go a couple of weeks without stepping foot in my car and my work mileage essentially pays for my personal fuel.

I'd like it to be <5 years old
I'd like it to be a car that I keep long term
I do like a convertible but fear a 2 seater may become frustrating at times
Not inherently unreliable
Budget is not fixed but I'd end up taking a hard look at the financial viability of more expensive vehicles as it would be depreciating on my driveway.

I keep on looking at BMW 330e's as on paper I could get away with approximately 20 miles of petrol usage a month but ultimately, petrol is not a huge expense at this mileage and am unsure on the long term reliability. A Tesla Model 3 would be awesome.

What would you get?

Cheers.

Soldato
OP
Honestly then I'd look down the line of something fun. Something like an older boxster or Cayman or a newer mx5.

I've considered Boxsters and F Type's but realistically I'd have to spend £30k. I'm not sure I'd suit a 6 series, but have considered Z4 35i/is at great length.

Soldato
For short trips in bad traffic no question I would get a bike. BMW GS1200 or maybe a big scooter. That will save you a lot of time. If I was looking for a car I'd probably spend a quarter of that and get a decent little car. Panda 100hp, 500 abarth or swift sport. A new shape MX5 would be another possibility. If you want something with zero deprecation I would look at a land rover defender. Taxis would be another option.

Associate
Problem is, the newer the car, bigger is the depreciation. After a while still depreciates, but at a lower rate. But an old car where virtually no depreciation occurs anymore, can't be called a reliable car.
Your depreciation will be more about age than mileage, and considering this, an exotic car could be a better bet, as later someone would appreciate a rarer car with low mileage.
For that mileage, go for a fun car. Convertible or coupé and a nice engine.
370z, RCZ-R...

Soldato
Go for a convertible and enjoy it! Depreciation will still be a large expense in a car <5 years old. An older, rarer or more special car will depreciate less and also allows you to get your hands on a lot of excellent cars.

How important are driving dynamics for your proposed use? For sitting in crummy traffic in a 4 wheeled deck chair you could go for something like a 3 or 4 series convertible... or a 6 as Fox suggests. Something like a Jag XK would be good too, although it’d older. I’m sure other German brands would also offer similar choices. I don’t know how much a Merc SLK is these days.

If you’re going to have a good B road blast on a sunny day and don’t mind a slight lack of creature comforts, I would honestly go and have a look at the Honda S2000. For starters you’d not have to spend your entire budget on one and they are holding their value very well. Otherwise a Porsche Boxster (older again) would be the obvious choice.

I think a 4 series convertible is the answer to this... there’s a 2016 435i on for just under £21000 on auto trader at the moment. It’s white, but I imagine you’d be able to get over that once you put your foot down.

Soldato
OP
I've tried no car and I was far too dependant on other people for lifts.
I've tried an old car and found it too depressing. It did make a Romanian guy very happy when I sold it as it was a good runner. Also saved me a fortune on skip hire. :D
I used to have a VX220 as my only car, it was fun but my ears hurt and I had a permanent scab on my back from where it would rub against the seat. I'd have another Lotus in heart beat but feel the reality will be different now I'm older.
I love the S2000 but think it is too late for owning one. The road tax will irritate me too.

The other problem with older cars is, how much of a step back the interior is compared to my current S90. It will be swings and roundabouts though, because I'd be glad to not have the car tell me I'm going to crash when navigating parked cars on residential roads.

I have considered 4 series. Think a 430i would be plenty fast enough. My brother in law has just got one so might think I'm copying him. :D

Soldato
@Trifid - go for a 2005 or earlier S2000 and enjoy lower VED for exactly the same car. Compared to a VX220 it’s luxury! I found the seats on the S2000 incredibly comfortable. Old /= bad.

Anyway, as I said I think a 4 series convertible would be the thing. Boring, but ticks all the boxes.

Soldato
Most of the S2000s still around are fine but there are things to watch out for.

If you want actual FUN don't look at HP stats etc. You need to go and drive things to see how they feel. A lot of the fast German cars are pretty dull once the novelty wears off.

Last edited:
Associate
I currently drive a Volvo. :D
The only thing that always stopped me from buying a Volvo is one reason, which many people will disagree, but I can't convince myself to like it: the rear lights. Seems a bit silly, I know, but spending that much money for a car I must like the inside/out 100%.
Same reason I changed my mind quite few years ago when looking for a Jaguar XF, from the Ford era. The headlights, spectacle inspired, never inspired me.

Most of the S2000s still around are fine but there are things to watch out for.

If you want actual FUN don't look at HP stats etc. You need to go and drive things to see how they feel. A lot of the fast German cars are pretty dull once the novelty wears off.
True. The Subaru BRZ or the identical Toyota 86 aren't 300+ HP, or the iPad-like infotainment system from other cars, but they're great fun to drive.
Same with the RCZ-R. Pretty fun car despite being FWD.
Just as example, my Leon SC FR, tunned from it's original 180 to 260+, wasn't as pleasant to drive as my brother's Mazda 3. The manual transmission is spot-on. A joy to use, and I owned/own automatics for a while, but wouldn't mind an excellent manual.
Also straight-line speed is one thing. Most muscle cars can do easily, but on twisted roads, a MX-5 would be many times more fun.
German I would go M135/140 or similar 2 series. They are fast, but at least for me, I don't feel like they're anything special.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man of Honour
Think a 430i would be plenty fast enough.
I've got a 428i and it's plenty fast enough for all the chavs in their debadged poverty spec 116d/a180/A1 that want to race ya :p
That being said, if you do want to get a 430i, do try out a 440i first...speaking from experience, I made the mistake of not trying out the 6 pot first...

Associate
Few year back I'd advise a black BMW coupe all day every day.

But lately I put more emphasis on reliability than other qualities. So if it's not Toyota then it's Honda. And it has to be a manual.

Gee I sound like a grandpa, even though I just turned 34.

Since you look for a bit of fun I'll vote for S2000 as well then, as the previous has.

Back
Top Bottom