What you doing to better your career?

Soldato
Hi all,

I've a urge to move from Application Support management over to a infosec role.

I've always been interested in hacking but never pushed it past a general knowledge. If I've been told I can't do something with a system or something gets locked down I find a way of bypassing it, not that I do but I see it as a challenge. If I walk into places I'm always noticing the security setup, it's as though my brain is programmed that way.

As such, I've been watching Youtube videos, pentesting, defcon, locking picking etc. I'm building a home lab and looking at online CTF challenges but it's a struggle with time.

It got me thinking, what role do you currently have and what are you doing/learning to progress? Or, are you looking at moving to a new role and what are you doing to help yourself make the move?

Thought this would be a good resource for others in similar careers or similar situations :)

Soldato
I currently work in security and to say infosec role is quite vague.

You will probably be looking at a security analyst or even security engineer type role. Many of these would be working within a SOC.

If you are looking to change roles look to get some certs under your belt first.

Soldato
OP
I currently work in security and to say infosec role is quite vague.

You will probably be looking at a security analyst or even security engineer type role. Many of these would be working within a SOC.

If you are looking to change roles look to get some certs under your belt first.

We've an internal infosec team and they have security analysts roles available now and then, it's just getting in. They have said I wouldn't need qualifications to get in and they would pay for me to get some so that's what I'm aiming at initially but taking as much as I can in across the entire knowledge range.

Back
Top Bottom