Whatever Happened To... Chocolate Liquers?

Soldato
As Christmas rapidly approaches, can anyone answer the question... Whatever happened to chocolate liqueurs? These used to be an essential part of the festivities, whether Harveys Bristol Cream or something stronger. Searched high and low, nowhere to be found - not in the confectionary section, Christmas shelves or even the booze department. Even Waitrose this morning failed to produce!

Soldato
Ok, now I'm feeling inadequately stocked! I have After Eights; essential post-dinner festive fare... it's the mint, good for digestion. ;) And I have Twiglets... as traditional in our home as feeling sick by teatime. But I don't have any choccy liqueurs... my first, exotic, naughty taste of being an adult, way back in the early 70s.

Never did really get a taste for alcohol, but a chocolate liqueur can still conjure up the spirit (see what I did there?) of Christmas past.

Edit: I have my last online Iceland order before Christmas on Monday, and they sell https://www.iceland.co.uk/p/famous-names-cherry-liqueurs-190g/81899.html which isn't what I'm after, but it'll be better than nothing. Maybe. They're definitely around though...
https://groceries.asda.com/product/...d-chocolate-liqueurs-collection/1000001955967
Edit: for inexcusable grammar

Last edited:
Soldato
I have some, I just omitted the chocolate part :p *glances at 12 bottles of scotch, 1 bourbon, 2 port, 4 gin, sherry, vodka, rum, vermouth, amaro etc.*

Soldato
Always understood chocolate liqueur to mean a liqueur that tasted like chocolate.
Liqueur chocolates (ie boxed choccies with alcohol in) were more of a woman's thing and very 1970s...

As for what happened - Fashion. Trends. People moved over to dusted truffles, or to chocolate-coated coffee beans, or to hideous salted caramels.
Happens with many things - One quintessential Christmas thing used to be bags of unshelled mixed nuts (brazils, walnuts, almonds and hazels, usually), but last Xmas I didn't see any of those in the shops.

Soldato
Been to Lidl, Aldi, Tesco and Asda in the last 2 weeks and all had some variety or other on the shelves, B&M and Home Bargains will also have the cheaper ones in stock as well I'd imagine.

Associate
I'm a sucker for boozy chocolates ... always seem a bit pricey though, there was a discount market where I used to live forever ago, and on occasion I'd go there with someone, buy a box of these cherry ones and split them ... I think orange and coffee ones are probably the best.

Soldato
Alcohol infused chocolate cherries - not sure where you get those ?
tv programme a while back showed a De artisan manufacturer.

Back
Top Bottom