Whats best for gaming Hard or Cloth Mousepad ?

Associate
hi,

i do have the Corsair MM800C RGB Polaris Cloth Surface Mousepad but in just a short time the cloth is on its way out and for the price i feel cheated lol. but its a shame that a replacement cloth surface cant be bought unless i just put one on the type and as it does have cool RGB lights but thought it would last longer.

are hard surfaces better? as i guess they may last longer!

but otherwise i cant seam to find a good replacement that might last longer :(

Soldato
Hard surfaces should be certainly lot easier to keep clean and good longer.
But if you mean what's best performance wise, that's the one you're most comfortable with.
Some theoretical advertised differences are secondary compared to how comfortable surface and handling of mouse on it feels to you.

Soldato
I bought a good sized (roughly equivalent to 4 full sized keyboards), "Magic Eagle" cloth mat 2 years ago for £15, and it's as good as it was the day I bought it. I don't think there's much correlation between quality and price in mouse mats.

Soldato
I've been buying those super large(XXL) mats off the forest place for years now, it's only expensive to replace them if you buy something with a recognised brand name on and i think that's mostly what you're paying for (a name and logo). My current one is an ultrics XL pad 900x400x6mm (handed down another similar one to a family member), looking at bit worn now(i don't treat it well tbf) but it's been going years, does a cracking job and was also cheap enough i wouldn't have been heart broken if i only got a couple of years out of it.

Soldato
I've been using a cloth Titanwolf XXL for a couple of years now, only cost me a tenner and it's been absolutely spot on.

Tip: Use one of those hand held bottles of carpet cleaner with a brush on the end to keep them clean, I use Dr. Beckmann's and it's ideal considering it only costs £2-3 a bottle.

Associate
OP
I've been using a cloth Titanwolf XXL for a couple of years now, only cost me a tenner and it's been absolutely spot on.

Tip: Use one of those hand held bottles of carpet cleaner with a brush on the end to keep them clean, I use Dr. Beckmann's and it's ideal considering it only costs £2-3 a bottle.

that sounds like a good way to keep them clean thanks, and i will check out if those mats are around

Associate
Anyone claiming that you only pay for the brand name on a mouse pad has never tried a decent pad. There's a huge range of different surfaces out there, not to mention a difference in quality.

Soldato
My only complaint with the cheaper ones is the stitched edge, I just had another look and I can only find £30+ ones without the stitching around the edge, I find it uncomfortable.

I currently have a big Steelseries, but I had to trim it down a little, once I move into my new house I will ant a bigger once, looking at the Razer Gigantus V2.

The older OcUK ones were perfect but the current range seems to be stitched and possibly thinner.

Soldato
Personally prefer soft, the hard ones grind on my wrist and hurts over time. I get more accuracy with soft as well as it glides more smoothly.

Soldato
I've been using overclockers pads for years, still using my 5+ year old medium one as I love the soft finish, I could do with it replacing but they don't offer a stitched medium version.

V F

V F

Soldato
Personally prefer soft, the hard ones grind on my wrist and hurts over time. I get more accuracy with soft as well as it glides more smoothly.

Did you ever try Icemat back in its day? I dug mine out recently from years in storage. So fast yet so smooth even on micro adjustments. At first it felt weird coming from cloth pads as it felt like moving on ice but now it feels great.

Soldato
Did you ever try Icemat back in its day? I dug mine out recently from years in storage. So fast yet so smooth even on micro adjustments. At first it felt weird coming from cloth pads as it felt like moving on ice but now it feels great.
Nah never tried that, will have to give that a go. Not even heard of it tbh lol, where have i been?!

Soldato
I've got an ancient steel series cloth pad with rubber back. It works very well but it's a bit worn looking now, which isn't a complaint as its over 10 years old.

Associate
I recently switched to one of these after using almost all soft pads previously. I got tired of my cloth pad getting dirty and more importantly the friction changed depending on humidity, getting noticeably slower in humid conditions. I don't think I'll be going back now as it does everything I want it to without the aforementioned shortcomings.

EDIT: it really comes down to personal preference though. I did some research before switching and a lot of people didn't like the lower friction, but I prefer it.

Associate
I only really use cloth mousemats, used to have a logitech powerplay charger which has interchangeable mats, could never get used to the hard surfaces

Back
Top Bottom